5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
my take on this platform with the limited amount of time spent on it would be to simply improve the efficiency of the overall package of the vehicle IE: high flow panel filter, suspension pieces, and creature comfort items. It was designed to be an economy ppl hauler and nothing more. This isn't like a 90's Honda/Mitsubishi where it was soo restrictive from the factory.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Perrin Steering Dampener Lockdown for Subarus (psp-sus-565) takes some of the rubber flex out of our steering.

I swear its a big help with my Premium trim 17 5 door Impreza lane wander at 70+ and when experiencing crosswinds. Big test coming with a scheduled trip from Pittsburgh to Gettysburg via the PA turnpike and rural hilly twisty US 30. Very impressed so far with the improvement.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Perrin Steering Dampener Lockdown for Subarus (psp-sus-565) takes some of the rubber flex out of our steering.

I swear its a big help with my Premium trim 17 5 door Impreza lane wander at 70+ and when experiencing crosswinds. Big test coming with a scheduled trip from Pittsburgh to Gettysburg via the PA turnpike and rural hilly twisty US 30. Very impressed so far with the improvement.
I installed a knockoff (Precision Works) yesterday. Steering response feels much quicker.

·
Registered
778 Posts
the single best "performance" mod for our cars is going with lighter weight wheels. the stock wheels are heavy, on all trims. aftermarket lighter wheels will not give you more power, but you are losing rotational mass, which is one of the best things you can do for any car. if you still need more power, I am sure there are some NOS kits out there that would work on these cars...

·
Registered
521 Posts
the single best "performance" mod for our cars is going with lighter weight wheels. the stock wheels are heavy, on all trims. aftermarket lighter wheels will not give you more power, but you are losing rotational mass, which is one of the best things you can do for any car. if you still need more power, I am sure there are some NOS kits out there that would work on these cars...
Yep, my rims are over 6 pounds lighter per wheel.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Yep, my rims are over 6 pounds lighter per wheel.
I didn't weigh my stock wheels but my wheels are at least 5lbs lighter per wheel. the stock wheels are heavy. imagine if we had the steel/hubcap wheels...

·
Registered
521 Posts
I didn't weigh my stock wheels but my wheels are at least 5lbs lighter per wheel. the stock wheels are heavy. imagine if we had the steel/hubcap wheels...
I did. Stock Sport rim was 24.8 lb.

·
Registered
778 Posts
tire rack says my wheels weigh 23.15lbs but they are much lighter than that. I should have weighed them when I got them. but I do know there is more of a weight difference than a lil more than 1lb.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Here ya go for 2-3 HP. Be prepared for neck snapping acceleration.

On a serious note, this is an excellent video on the comparison of performance air filters. He's uses a last gen Crosstrek I believe, but I would expect similar numbers for our car. It's a very well done video with legitimate testing. All his videos are pretty good for that matter and worth checking out.

Interesting to see that the car actually dyno'd higher than Subaru's claim. However, dyno's are really only good for measuring change after a mod vs getting an absolute number. I'd also be interested to see the results after the carbon filter in the intake is removed. He plan's on testing that in a future video.

You can, of course, debate the pros/cons of an oiled filter but this is a performance mod that does appear to work. I seriously doubt you'd be able to feel any difference, but if you feel better about squeezing a few more ponies out of the FB20 then go for it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My first car (in HS) was a 1976 Audi Fox, it had 79hp and was actually very zippy compared to all of my friends who had imports.

My first was a 1983 Nissan Stanza 5door that ran like hammered dogs**t. Had to frog foot at stop lights to keep the KA24DE from dying. The next two were fun though. An 89 Civic hatchback Standard, and then a 91 Civic hatchback DX. One of the most *fun* cars I was was my 1995 200SX SE-R, I finally scrapped it after the second SR20DE tossed a rod.

·
Registered
841 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
This guy is offering tuning for 5th generation Imprezas and Crosstreks. https://www.facebook.com/RalliSportAutomotive/

It's about $200 worth of hardware and software just to be able to put the tune on your car though, plus however much he charges for the tune itself (which he says he can customize to your needs).
this is good news! I wish I still had our Impreza, I would pay the $200 to guinea pig it for everybody. I hope he/she can get significant power gains for these lil 2.0's.

·
Registered
106 Posts
He explained in one of his posts that our car does not easily make as much power as it can from factory, to quote him:

As far as timing goes, there is a dizzying array of timing tables, 34 base tables to be exact. And 6 feedback knock correction advance tables. If it ran only the most aggressive base table and only the most aggressive knock correction advance table, it would have decent timing (not the most timing for power, but close enough). But it's anyone's guess what combination is picked under what circumstances.
Out of curiosity I just set up my OBD2 scanner app on my phone to show me when I'm in open loop/closed loop and how much spark advance I'm at. Might log it with RPM/Throttle position as well. Problem is I very rarely do anything BUT commute driving in decently heavy traffic at the moment meaning I will almost never be out of closed loop.

Also, apparently in terms of making power our cars run too lean at low RPM and too rich at high RPM. I wonder if he or one of his customers has access to a dyno, I would love to see some before and afters to get a percentage improvement over stock tune.

·
Registered
778 Posts
that is part of it. without a dyno there is no real way to know how much, if any gains can be had. so "tuning" one of these lil engines could be costly when it is all said and done. there is a lot more to it than just writing a tune and saying they can get a 2-5% gain from stock. but my curiosity level is up, and I hope they get it done. if you could gain 30-45hp with a simple 87 octane fuel tune, that would be worth at least $400-$500 in my opinion. pair that with a good CAI kit and true cat back exhaust kit and maybe get another 15-20hp and this lil engine would come to life! I would probably have to buy another one just to have as a daily driver.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Maybe with an ethanol tune (which would probably require injectors and a fuel pump), that seems like that would be a pretty high number to get from a tune alone. Who knows though, I did message the guy and he said he might be able to get some dyno numbers in spring. He's working on headers, midpipes, a turbo kit for 5th generation imrpeza/crosstreks as well as tuning them.

That turbo kit when finished could get you the HP numbers you're looking for, but that's probably a while out (and obviously warranty killing).

·
Registered
778 Posts
it is not at all crazy to think you can't get 30 or more HP with a simple tune. I have seen it done MANY times, but not on small engines like these. it all depends on how Subaru has this engine choked up to start with. keep in mind one huge part of this car being so sluggish is the CVT trans if you chose the automatic. it has fake "shift points" programmed into it to make the user (us) feel like it is actually shifting, but trust me, it isn't shifting at all.

I would never put a turbo on this engine, the internals aren't built for it. well, not any significant amount of boost anyway. this isn't the same engine used in the WRX or even the BRZ. yes it is a 2.0 flat 4, but the internals are way weaker. before I spent the money for any boosted performance I would buy a WRX and call it a day.

if the guy comes thru and does get one "tuned" correctly, he will most certainly have to spend some money on Dyno time so he can prove any gains before anyone will trust him. I talked to Cobb several times when we first bought ours, they were not even interested in attempting it, they told me the gains they thought they could get wouldn't be worth the R&D it would take to even get. but I am definitely curious myself, because I know Subaru didn't give us an engine that all they could get out of it was 152hp.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Someone did already turbo a 2017 (previous generation) Crosstrek CVT. Last I looked it up it seemed to be holding up pretty well. I'm sure this kit would run a max of 5-7 PSI (if even that) of boost which is all I've ever seen people suggest running in any economy engine that doesn't have internals meant for boost.

I don't see it being worth it because of the lightweight (read: weak) internals limiting you to such low boost, but who knows. Still pretty cool to see someone doing awesome stuff for this car though.

It would be funny if the car does see a major gain from tuning alone and Cobb goes "oh ****."

·
Registered
184 Posts
it is not at all crazy to think you can't get 30 or more HP with a simple tune. I have seen it done MANY times, but not on small engines like these. it all depends on how Subaru has this engine choked up to start with. keep in mind one huge part of this car being so sluggish is the CVT trans if you chose the automatic. it has fake "shift points" programmed into it to make the user (us) feel like it is actually shifting, but trust me, it isn't shifting at all.

I would never put a turbo on this engine, the internals aren't built for it. well, not any significant amount of boost anyway. this isn't the same engine used in the WRX or even the BRZ. yes it is a 2.0 flat 4, but the internals are way weaker. before I spent the money for any boosted performance I would buy a WRX and call it a day.

if the guy comes thru and does get one "tuned" correctly, he will most certainly have to spend some money on Dyno time so he can prove any gains before anyone will trust him. I talked to Cobb several times when we first bought ours, they were not even interested in attempting it, they told me the gains they thought they could get wouldn't be worth the R&D it would take to even get. but I am definitely curious myself, because I know Subaru didn't give us an engine that all they could get out of it was 152hp.
My impreza is a 2.0i 5door premium auto and a wrx or sti with all it's power not only couldn't pull far away from me but also except from a stop could only just get in front of me in about 400/600 feet. For about 10 miles the guys couldn't get far so I think although if pushing it enough the WRX is faster in most instances it isn't much faster in a short run. Compared to a basic 2.0cvt. I couldn't believe how close it was and in fact had there not been another car ahead of us that I slowed down for I could have accelerated a little harder and probably been slightly closer. Maybe it's just the guy can't drive but honestly if his wrx is a good indicator I wouldn't waste the money for such little gains. Just my $.02. and if I review the dash can footage and can edit enough to fit I can even upload it so others can see.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts