5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
I had an engine tune on a NA car once before and it was very much worth it to me. With a manual trans, you get a good feel for the engine power band characteristics and shortcomings and I've previously experienced satisfying improvement on a different car with a 2.4L engine. So I'm all in on this tune and am currently working with Rallisport on what changes he's going to make for my car. Addressing the 'rev hang' is priority #1, but he says that's easy so we'll see what other benefits come from this. I only use 87 octane and am not interested in being forced to use premium because around here they gouge you an extra $0.50 - $0.70 per gallon over regular. That would take a couple of pizzas a month out of my budgeting. I don't need more power THAT badly. Gotta have priorities straight.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I had an engine tune on a NA car once before and it was very much worth it to me. With a manual trans, you get a good feel for the engine power band characteristics and shortcomings and I've previously experienced satisfying improvement on a different car with a 2.4L engine. So I'm all in on this tune and am currently working with Rallisport on what changes he's going to make for my car. Addressing the 'rev hang' is priority #1, but he says that's easy so we'll see what other benefits come from this. I only use 87 octane and am not interested in being forced to use premium because around here they gouge you an extra $0.50 - $0.70 per gallon over regular. That would take a couple of pizzas a month out of my budgeting. I don't need more power THAT badly. Gotta have priorities straight.
Please keep us in the loop of how it goes!

·
Registered
778 Posts
definitely! keep us posed as you get this done. we don't still have our Impreza, but I hope you guys can get these things woken up and become lil sleeper cars. and who knows, we may buy another down the road maybe...

·
Registered
841 Posts
I've now got Rallisport's rev hang delete tune loaded with an otherwise standard power delivery tune. This is how Subaru should have had the car setup from the factory, as far as rev hang is concerned. The driver's foot is now responsible for doing the rev matching when changing gears. What a novel concept! I only wish this had been available 18 months ago so I wouldn't have had to put my clutch through 17,xxx miles of torture with that OEM tune. No more messing with clutch and transmission position sensor plugs to try an fool the ECU for me. Rallisport has rev hang elimination well under control with his tune. I'll report back more once I get an engine performance update to my tune.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've now got Rallisport's rev hang delete tune loaded with an otherwise standard power delivery tune. This is how Subaru should have had the car setup from the factory, as far as rev hang is concerned. The driver's foot is now responsible for doing the rev matching when changing gears. What a novel concept! I only wish this had been available 18 months ago so I wouldn't have had to put my clutch through 17,xxx miles of torture with that OEM tune. No more messing with clutch and transmission position sensor plugs to try an fool the ECU for me. Rallisport has rev hang elimination well under control with his tune. I'll report back more once I get an engine performance update to my tune.
Wow that's insanley good news, I wonder if that will fix all the hanging and lagging issues I've been having? Please update us as soon as this is commercially available!

·
Registered
841 Posts
It is commercially available now. I think I'm the 2nd person to pay him for the 'no rev hang' tune (the 1st was a Crosstrek owner) and the 4th overall to get tunes from him. He actually sent me a minor performance improvement tune that changes where the open loop/closed loop transition occurs. From my quick test drive, I'm impressed at the change. There used to be a step change in performance improvement at 3k rpms. That's gone and it pulls (rather than being flattish) from as low as 1700 rpm. This is just by enabling fuel maps that are already in the ECU. More improvements coming, but he likes feedback to know which changes are most useful. I'm happy to provide feedback on what I like and what I still want.

·
Registered
94 Posts
It is commercially available now. I think I'm the 2nd person to pay him for the 'no rev hang' tune (the 1st was a Crosstrek owner) and the 4th overall to get tunes from him. He actually sent me a minor performance improvement tune that changes where the open loop/closed loop transition occurs. From my quick test drive, I'm impressed at the change. There used to be a step change in performance improvement at 3k rpms. That's gone and it pulls (rather than being flattish) from as low as 1700 rpm. This is just by enabling fuel maps that are already in the ECU. More improvements coming, but he likes feedback to know which changes are most useful. I'm happy to provide feedback on what I like and what I still want.
Yeah I've actually been looking into this more ever since I saw your post. I love the sound of the tune fixing these issues, but I don't really love the idea of voiding my warranty... I have a very technical background but I've never worked too much with cars. The idea of potentially bricking a 20k vehicle scares me. Hopefully there is something in the future that can solve the issue for me.

·
Registered
841 Posts
It's definitely a personal decision to make and come to terms with. Getting a tune doesn't light up a bat signal to Subaru and make the car instantly fall apart, but if something were to go wrong with the engine while in the warranty period they clearly could discover the tune in the ECU and take it into consideration in not covering the repair. I discussed "warranty voiding" because of mods with SOA a while back and that was basically the summary of the discussion. They don't void warranties, they do disallow though if they see association of mods with failures. My perspective is that I intend to keep this vehicle a long time and the tune I have right now corrects some things that are setup wrong from the OEM for a manual trans car, as delivered from Subaru. I see no reason to suffer with inability to match revs correctly when changing gears and induce unnecessary wear in my clutch plate when I can do something about it. The fact that this tuner is very open about what changes he's making (and he discusses the changes before making them) gives me the understanding that I need to make a relatively informed decision about what changes I want to the car's tuning. That's sort of like going to Burger King and getting the Whopper 'my way'. So far, the performance tuning he's done is just making a throttle profile that Subaru created more accessible while driving. Normally I'd have to stomp the throttle to get it to engage. So far I like the tune and working with him on updates, but to each their own.

·
Registered
778 Posts
very good news NoSlush, very good news!!! I assume your car is a manual trans, so I wonder if the tune will improve performance for the CVT owners as well? either way, at least someone is making improvements in the right direction, and KUDOS for being one of the first testing it out!

I have used programmable tuners on numerous vehicles in the past myself, but all of them were on at least 300hp V6's or bigger V8's. I was never worried about blowing up my engine or voiding that specific part of my warranty. and trust me, I ran the you know what out of my vehicles. of course the manufacturer can attach their computer diagnostic machines to the car and tell if it had ever been tuned or "flashed" but that wouldn't stop me from doing it. the chances of actually damaging the engine or drivetrain due to a tuner flash are slim to none, unless you just make a mistake and really can't drive very well. or you could just make good friends with the people in your service dept and then if something happens, maybe they won't really look deeply into it. I remember in 1994 I had started drag racing my 92 Mustang and had a release bearing go bad while I was on vacation at the beach. when I took it to the dealer to get it replaced under warranty they knew I drag raced, sh1t, I even took it there with narrow drag wheels on the front, but they knew me and my Dad really well so they replaced it under warranty and never said a word.

·
Registered
841 Posts
The performance improvement on a CVT car would likely be more since a CVT dwells at RPM ranges and adjusts the gear ratio, while the manual trans car is a series of fixed gear ratios that the RPM range is varied over. The tuner, Rallisport, has seen impressive improvement with his personal Crosstrek. I don't have a CVT car, so I can't speak to that improvement from personal experience.

·
Registered
778 Posts
The performance improvement on a CVT car would likely be more since a CVT dwells at RPM ranges and adjusts the gear ratio, while the manual trans car is a series of fixed gear ratios that the RPM range is varied over. The tuner, Rallisport, has seen impressive improvement with his personal Crosstrek. I don't have a CVT car, so I can't speak to that improvement from personal experience.
that is awesome news! well, I almost wish I would have kept mine just so I could add his tune and see what happened. oh well, maybe down the road I will get another one.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I guess I am in the same limbo that a lot of other seem to be. I did not get this car expecting to mod it to be a WRX, I got it to be a daily driver and to haul my kids and I around and get me back and forth to work. Would I like to see a little more pep out of the engine, sure, but I also do not want to sacrifice a lot of the fuel efficiency that these engines are delivering.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I need to be part of this. Tell me who I need to be of service to in order to release me of this clutch torture on my Impreza.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
163 Posts
I guess I am in the same limbo that a lot of other seem to be. I did not get this car expecting to mod it to be a WRX, I got it to be a daily driver and to haul my kids and I around and get me back and forth to work. Would I like to see a little more pep out of the engine, sure, but I also do not want to sacrifice a lot of the fuel efficiency that these engines are delivering.
I commend you for getting back to the original topic. Honestly, the fuel economy wouldn't take a far off hit by simply doing a small tune to the ECU. I purchased my impreza because I wanted new, and I really enjoy the look of the hatchback. I didn't want to pay the amount of money for the hatch WRX considering how many miles they had on ones available in my area. If I truly keep my Impreza for the long haul I actually plan to get the tune, and had already brainstormed the ultimate mod. Engine swapping to a compatible 2.5i STI engine.

In due time lol.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I need to be part of this. Tell me who I need to be of service to in order to release me of this clutch torture on my Impreza.

Go here: https://www.subaruxvforum.com/forum/#/topics/171066?page=1

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just in case you were serious about making some power you can get a lot of performance out of the 2017+ Subaru Impreza 2.0i sport FB20 turbo builds.
My friend did the stage 1 turbo upgrade on his Impreza and it's putting out 298hp at 10psi. the Ecu Flash and tuning gear is sold separately. so about $3600 set up + $300ish for tune.
24k-25k Impreza+ turbo kit = WRX essentially.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts