5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been slowly changing some of the trim and details to black to go along with the already blacked out pieces on the Sport trim level. Started by replacing the subi emblems with dark ones (I think it looks great on the front, not sure about the rear one). Recently I plasti dipped and glossed the stock wheels which totally transformed the look. Finally I used the leftover plasi dip to black out the rear badging and also the license plate frames since they were plastered with the dealers' logos. I'm pretty happy with the results and probably done with the exterior, now to get to work on the stereo. Maybe in the future since plasti dipping is so easy I'll try a different color on the wheels like gold or bronze.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really like the black lettering. How difficult was it to get off and put back on?
It's possible to plasti dip the lettering without removing the badges (look for it on YouTube) but I haven't had a ton of success with it in the past so I removed them to spray like you said. It wasn't tough to keep everything lined up with tape, however it was a pain in the ass to meticulously cut out double sided tape for the letters, especially the "subaru AWD" on the left since each letter is a separate badge rather than one big attached word like "impreza". If you can do it without removing them it would be a lot easier.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It's possible to plasti dip the lettering without removing the badges (look for it on YouTube) but I haven't had a ton of success with it in the past so I removed them to spray like you said. It wasn't tough to keep everything lined up with tape, however it was a pain in the ass to meticulously cut out double sided tape for the letters, especially the "subaru AWD" on the left since each letter is a separate badge rather than one big attached word like "impreza". If you can do it without removing them it would be a lot easier.
Great! Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Looks good! How durable is the plastidip on the wheels? I realize a lot of people use it because it's easily removed, but just curious how well it would hold up to snowy winters and carwashes.

I just picked up some 17" GT wheels for my hatch, but probably going to paint or dip them. Not sure yet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks good! How durable is the plastidip on the wheels? I realize a lot of people use it because it's easily removed, but just curious how well it would hold up to snowy winters and carwashes.

I just picked up some 17" GT wheels for my hatch, but probably going to paint or dip them. Not sure yet.
I obviously haven't had it on long, but just by feel it seems very thick and durable. I know plenty of people have said it can be good for multiple years and I don't doubt that. Carwashes shouldn't be an issue. The important thing is to do plenty of coats so it's nice and thick, and clean the wheels really well beforehand, since it will peel off a lot easier if you try to dip over dirty or rusty wheels.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts