5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having issues with my bluetooth connection and my head unit. It's the 8" HK one in my 2017 Impreza sport tech. Wasn't sure why it started cutting in and out while playing music lately, but I've narrowed it down to the head unit not liking ios 13, I believe. I never had issues with it before upgrading to 13. I have an iphone 11, so I tried my kids iphone x still running ios 12 in my car, and it streams bluetooth without any issues. I know it's not my phone, because my wife just bought a 2020 Ascent, and my phone streams bluetooth perfectly in her vehicle.
Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue, or if I'm just the lucky one :). I am running the latest firmware on the head unit. I've had it back to the dealership a couple times for them to test it, and the last time I was there a couple days ago, they ordered a new head unit for replacement. So guess I'll keep my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have bluetooth issues with Android 9 Moto X4. Pretty much have to forget the impreza from my bluetooth before starting the car and half the time have to force reboot the stereo. Otherwise it seems like Android Auto and the standard bluetooth connection like to play tug and pull otherwise causing a reoccurring crash.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yes, listening through Bluetooth on the unit requires re-connecting everytime I either boot up Android Auto, or even when I switch over to the radio screen.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've been having issues with my bluetooth connection and my head unit. It's the 8" HK one in my 2017 Impreza sport tech. Wasn't sure why it started cutting in and out while playing music lately, but I've narrowed it down to the head unit not liking ios 13, I believe. I never had issues with it before upgrading to 13. I have an iphone 11, so I tried my kids iphone x still running ios 12 in my car, and it streams bluetooth without any issues. I know it's not my phone, because my wife just bought a 2020 Ascent, and my phone streams bluetooth perfectly in her vehicle.
Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue, or if I'm just the lucky one :). I am running the latest firmware on the head unit. I've had it back to the dealership a couple times for them to test it, and the last time I was there a couple days ago, they ordered a new head unit for replacement. So guess I'll keep my fingers crossed.
FWIW, iOS is now up to 13.2.2 - if you don't have it, put it on. You'll get Deep Fusion too.

BTW, why are you using Bluetooth? If you use a USB cable, you can use CarPlay which is a much better user experience.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m actually running the dev beta 13.3 beta 2, so I’m up to date on anything iOS has to offer. I use Bluetooth because I hate having to plug and unplug my phone every time I get in or out of my car. Everything I own is wireless, so using a cord in my car is annoying. I do use CarPlay on longer trips though, because I agree, CarPlay is much better. A few after market decks support wireless CarPlay now, which is the best of both worlds 😀

·
Registered
83 Posts
I’m actually running the dev beta 13.3 beta 2, so I’m up to date on anything iOS has to offer. I use Bluetooth because I hate having to plug and unplug my phone every time I get in or out of my car. Everything I own is wireless, so using a cord in my car is annoying. I do use CarPlay on longer trips though, because I agree, CarPlay is much better. A few after market decks support wireless CarPlay now, which is the best of both worlds 😀
Oooo ... ballsy. I take it that the drop-outs were happening even with the last official release?

I could try bluetooth, but unfortunately can't really yield another data point. I'm on an 11 series phone too, so we're probably using the same chipset.

I have my USB cable semi-permanently connected and have a dash mount in the car, so I just hop in, plug in the USB cable, and slide the phone into the mount.

Anyway, from other testimony here it appears that others are having issues too, though their issues seem to be reestablishing the bluetooth connection. I have a 2018 and am on 13.2.2 so can at least test with that release.

IIRC, 13.2.2 came after beta 1 and fixed background quits and a lot of LTE connectivity issues, but I'm pretty sure they've would've synced that code into the 13.3 betas prior to beta 2, especially since 13.3 appears to be getting close to general release.

Are your drop-outs happening with in-phone music or streamed? A lot of the later releases have had communications changes that deal a lot with wifi/LTE transitions, though I've heard some of those problems go away with a hard reset <tap vol up, tap vol down, push and hold power button until phone resets> or phone restore, though I can't really see why reviewers utter those two in the same breath considering how much more time-intensive the phone restore is.

Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha,thanks. My problems are when I’m simply playing music through Bluetooth that I have downloaded to my phone. I haven’t had any streaming issues, although I really don’t stream much music because we are so highly ripped off on the cost of data around here.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Tested Bluetooth with iOS 13.2.3 on a iPhone 11 Pro Max and yeah ... choppy as heck.

Don't know if it's the Harmon, the iPhone, or iOS; hopefully if iOS 13.3 addresses this.

Have you reported this to Apple? If you're on the beta, you have a feedback app - that's the whole purpose of the beta.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good news, I have the new head unit installed now finally, and it’s all good now. The Bluetooth stutter is gone.
I didn’t report it to Apple because I wanted to wait and see if the head unit replacement fixed the issue.
Now I’ll just keep my fingers crossed that it stays working good!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mine’s all good so far with the new head unit. I just updated to the new maps for my nav and it updated the firmware at the same time. I was worried that it would go back to skipping with the new firmware, but it’s still working fine.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Mine’s all good so far with the new head unit. I just updated to the new maps for my nav and it updated the firmware at the same time. I was worried that it would go back to skipping with the new firmware, but it’s still working fine.
After the maps update, I actually feel like there's more bass in there with CarPlay, but I could be mistaken.

Sounds like someone may be taking that class action suit seriously :giggle:.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts