5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I got my tires swap over an aftermarket wheel.the OEM wheels were 18x7.5 +55 and the after market is 18x8.5 +35 As I am driving in the highway going 60-75. The car shakes a bit but not a lot. I want to take it to the dealership just to be 100% and get it balanced and alignment but I don't know much that'll cost. but what should I do?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Perhaps you need hub centric rings..and definitely an alignment. And don't go to the dealer!:ROFLMAO:
  • Usually the hub centric rings are used with alloy wheels, but sometimes steel rims may need hub centric rings. The purpose of the centric ring is to perfectly center the alloy wheel to the wheel hub and hence prevent vibration to the steering wheel during driving and the shaking which typically appears around speeds of 40-60 mph

·
Administrator
2017 Imp 5 door. Auto, Red.
2,081 Posts
You need rings as has been mentioned or your tires are out of balance.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have this issue with the stock OEM wheels and tires on my Impreza limited. Not too violent, but it's a noticeable shake above 70 mph.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Perhaps you need hub centric rings..and definitely an alignment. And don't go to the dealer!:ROFLMAO:
  • Usually the hub centric rings are used with alloy wheels, but sometimes steel rims may need hub centric rings. The purpose of the centric ring is to perfectly center the alloy wheel to the wheel hub and hence prevent vibration to the steering wheel during driving and the shaking which typically appears around speeds of 40-60 mph
~ aftermarket wheels are 73.1 so, what’s the size of our car? Thank you for the info! And my car is pretty new (5000miles) is Alignment necessary for it?

·
Registered
258 Posts
OK, let me get this straight; you bought new tires, but didn't have them balanced when they were mounted? And you are surprised that they are unbalanced? I must be missing something here, unless the poster really is that oblivious....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, let me get this straight; you bought new tires, but didn't have them balanced when they were mounted? And you are surprised that they are unbalanced? I must be missing something here, unless the poster really is that oblivious....
No, I did get them balanced when they were mounted. The hub rings just went over my head when getting the wheels.

·
Administrator
2,081 Posts
No, I did get them balanced when they were mounted. The hub rings just went over my head when getting the wheels.
Dude, most of the time when tires are put on my a tire shop they balance them right there on the machine.

·
Administrator
2,081 Posts
I have had a bad balance job though and took them back and the manager went and calibrated the machine before they re-balanced the tire.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have had a bad balance job though and took them back and the manager went and calibrated the machine before they re-balanced the tire.
I just got them balanced again and its still shaking a bit so, it gotta be the rings so I ordered a pack so it should fix the prob

·
Registered
2019 Base CVT + Eyesight + Fogs
129 Posts
Who sold you wheels without rings?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Happened to me multiple times from the same show. The first time, it was terrible I went back and they re-balanced. They were still bad. They tell me the computer went back and once it was replaced they would re-balance. It was good after that, then I got a tire replaced under warranty that it wasn't balanced correctly but I couldn't tell so much cause it was on the back. When rotated to the front I could tell. They re-balanced and charged me and then same thing happened one more time after a warranty replacement. This was for an old A4. I only went there because they carried the tires I wanted and were reasonable in price. But going forward most of my tires will be coming from Costco and thy got free balancing and tire rotation.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts