5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe the bolt pattern is 5x100, but does anybody know the hub bore diameter? looking to replace my wife's stock 18" sport wheels with some matte (or just regular) bronze wheels. but i want to make sure they are hub centric and not lug centric.

·
Registered
229 Posts
One thing I can confirm is the fact we're running 5x100 lugs. As for the rest i'm not sure but if you were to call up the local Subaru dealer, odds are they'll give you the remaining details you're looking for.

If you find out, let us know, I bet there are other individuals here looking for the same thing.

·
Registered
860 Posts
There also doesn't seem to be any info out there on the offset yet. I'm making the assumption that it's similar previous model years. I feel the need to swap out the steel wheels and hubcaps.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Subaru NA got back to me. 16x6.5, 5x100 bolt pattern, 55 offset is stock for the 2017 Impreza. It's still the same as previous model years.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I believe the bolt pattern is 5x100, but does anybody know the hub bore diameter? looking to replace my wife's stock 18" sport wheels with some matte (or just regular) bronze wheels. but i want to make sure they are hub centric and not lug centric.
Hello guys just new here. Wondering what is the difference between hub centric and lug centric (which one is better?) and how does it affect the car? Thanks

·
Registered
232 Posts
If your wheels aren't hub centric the wheels may not balance unless a wheel bolt adapter is used
on the balance machine. Ideally the bolt pattern center and hub centers should match to get a good
wheel balance.

Clifton

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello guys just new here. Wondering what is the difference between hub centric and lug centric (which one is better?) and how does it affect the car? Thanks

hub centric is by far the best choice. they will bolt up flush to the hub with no vibration issues. if you use lug centric you have to completely bolt up the wheel with it off the ground, and go ahead and torque the lugs. otherwise you will have vibration issues that will absolutely drive you nuts. i learned this from a BAD experience a long time ago.

Reactions: Maverick

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for all the replies guys.

how would you know if your rims are hub centric or lug centric? Would you know right away just by looking at your rim?

·
Registered
232 Posts
You cannot tell if you have hub centric wheels by looking. A wheel alignment shop should be able to tell you, maybe?

If you get wheels balanced and still have problems the possibility of the wheels not being hub centric should be considered. Most wheels are probably hub centric. I know the British MGB steel wheels are not hub centric, but their LE alloy wheels are hub centric.

The old style on the car balancer works with either type wheel. But it’s hard to find anyone that has that type balancer,and even harder to find someone that knows how to use it.

The balancing machines I have seen have a lug adapter that can be used to balance bolt centric wheels but it’s not as simple to use as the cones used to center wheels that are hub centric.

Clifton

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the replies guys.

how would you know if your rims are hub centric or lug centric? Would you know right away just by looking at your rim?

you can also jack up the car, loosen all the lugs and hold the wheel tight against the hub. if the wheel won't slide up and down it is hub centric. if it moves even though you have it pressed up flush against the hub it is lug centric.

most aftermarket wheels require hub rings that you simply slide into the lug hole on the back of the wheel and then it will bolt up flush with no problems. thus making it a "hub centric" wheel. failure to use the hub rings with the aftermarket wheels will cause vibration issues and make you crazy. if you are using aftermarket wheels and the hub bore isn't 56.1mm then you definitely need hub rings. if the hub bore of the wheel is same as factory you need nothing but to bolt the wheels up and ride.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts