5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
2017 Impreza Sport Hatchback
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm debating a new exhaust system for my 2017 Impreza Sport wagon with a CVT. I've read forum after forum about bad cabin drone noise, specifically with nameless exhausts. I haven't seen a whole lot about experiences with this same issue on borla systems. Has anyone had similar experiences with borla exhaust? Is one brand/system better than the other? I would like a little more macho sounding exhaust but don't want to lose my hearing with cabin drone noise. 馃槀

Registered
I have no specific experience with these two brands on GEN5 Impreza.
I have some experience with BORLA exhausts on other vehicles.

In general, BORLA:
  • Uses 100% high-grade stainless-steel for all components and clamps.
    • The BORLA exhausts I have owned looked shiny like table-cutlery from end to end...even after many Vermont winters.
  • Has "Million Mile Warantee" on all their stuff.
  • Uses heaver-gauge steel which helps keep the "drone" out of the cabin.
  • Often costs lot more than competitors exhaust-sytems due to heavier and better steel.

Registered
'22 Impreza Sport Sedan w/ CVT
I have the Nameless 5" and I love it in my Sport. The best way to keep the drone out is when you going from 0-50ish in town, keep it in sport "manual" mode and shift around 3k rpm. It'll make sure the dip back down when you shift isn't in the 1k-1.5k rpm range and make the annoying drone.

Might be something to consider but look at the wait time for when the actual exhaust will get to you. When I ordered mine from Nameless it was light back in Sept and didn't get it until Nov. If timing matters then you may want to pick the other one.

Registered
Borla hs been around for at least 45 years, probably longer. Their exhaust units are premium quality, extremely well-made and durable, and are priced accordingly. I never heard of Nameless before I bought my Subaru and started coming here. I assume it's a Chinese-sourced exhaust, and is cheaper.

If you look in the "for sale" section, you will find a LOT more people trying to sell barely-used Nameless axle-backs than you will find selling Borlas. I suspect that's partly because the Nameless is cheaper and more people buy them, but also because the Nameless is just too annoying to live with on long highway trips.

Registered
'22 Impreza Sport Sedan w/ CVT
Borla hs been around for at least 45 years, probably longer. Their exhaust units are premium quality, extremely well-made and durable, and are priced accordingly. I never heard of Nameless before I bought my Subaru and started coming here. I assume it's a Chinese-sourced exhaust, and is cheaper.

If you look in the "for sale" section, you will find a LOT more people trying to sell barely-used Nameless axle-backs than you will find selling Borlas. I suspect that's partly because the Nameless is cheaper and more people buy them, but also because the Nameless is just too annoying to live with on long highway trips.
Don't know much about Borla, but Namesless isn't Chinese-sourced. All the parts are made in the US and to-order, which is why some of their wait times can very depending on what you order. While it is cheaper, the quality is great.

The only reason I would go for one or the other is that they have different tones to them. At the bottom I'll link a video to hear the difference which also has other axleback exhausts included.

The main reason that people are returning them is the droning due to, what seems to be, base models where you are not able to control the RPM with the CVT motor; 5MT is a different story I could be wrong that it's a higher percentage of base models, but please correct me if I'm wrong, anyone. When you control the throttle above like 2k RPM, its nowhere near as droney and actually sounds great, since the CVT won't automatically try to keep it withing the 1.25k - 1.75k RPM range for fuel economy and lack of a sport mode.

In my opinion the Borla axleback has a throatier sound then I'm used to, so the Nameless 5" is great. Since you have a hatchback, I would look into the Muffler delete or 5" version of their quad-exhaust since it looks and sounds great.

Happy shopping! Post the oh-so-beautiful sound clips of whichever one you get ;)

Video of the exhaust sounds:

Registered
2015 Impreza sport wagon limited
I鈥檝e had my nameless 5鈥 muffler on for about a month now and i don鈥檛 mind the droning sound .. it isn鈥檛 too bad in my 15鈥 cvt sport wagon ..

Registered
...it isn鈥檛 too bad in my 15鈥 cvt sport wagon ..
You may have touched upon a key factor in this discussion.

For example, my base impreza has little to no sound insulation.... heck, it does not even have an underhood blanket. The tire-noise is quite prominent too. The last thing I would want to add is more noise from the exhaust which will reverberate around within the cabin.

I suspect your sport Imp. has far more sound insulation within the doors and under carpeting and headliner which would reduce 'drone'.

Registered
You may have touched upon a key factor in this discussion.

For example, my base impreza has little to no sound insulation.... heck, it does not even have an underhood blanket. The tire-noise is quite prominent too. The last thing I would want to add is more noise from the exhaust which will reverberate around within the cabin.

I suspect your sport Imp. has far more sound insulation within the doors and under carpeting and headliner which would reduce 'drone'.
Is this a fact? When I was test driving a base Impreza, I was surprised by how loud it was with road and tire noise. Later I had a chance to drive a premium and WOW鈥 I noticed a huge difference. It felt so quiet and rode much better. I just didn鈥檛 think there would be that kind of difference between trims.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts