5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
2020 Manual 4-door Base
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, some of you may recognize me from the many noob questions I've posted in the general board already. Thought I'd just make a proper introduction, since this seems to be an awesome little community.

At the tender age of 28, I just bought my very first car 2 months ago. Which also happened to be my first subaru. Which also happened to be my first stick shift. I actually had to get my mom to drive it off the dealership lot.

I've always been into cars and racing, so learning manual is something I really did want to do, and not just to cheap out.

However having NEVER stepped into a manual car before It was obviously a huge call to decide to learn it on a brand new car. I almost hesitated at the last minute and went with CVT but something in my heart told me to just stick with it.

I must have watched thousands of videos on everything about manual. What to do, what not to, some were good, some weren't. I was, and still am, very paranoid about breaking something or things being wrong.

First couple of weeks I was a nervous wreck, anytime I reached traffic lights or stop signs I sweated. Taking off smoothly from a stop, and shifting from 1st to 2nd, are really the hardest part about. Took me long to really iron those out.

I've stalled, sloppy shifted, and almost launched into cars parked in front of me more than I can count.

2 months later here I am driving all over the place, drifting in the snow, and rev match downshifting on every corner. Having persisted and spent so many hours and days practicing, it gave me a huge sense of accomplishment and personal progress to say that I can now fully drive a manual transmission!

It's really been one of the happiest things in my life and I'm happy theres a great community here where I can share that love with all of you guys.

Thanks for coming to my tedtalk, and here's some pics of my baby, including the newest and first mod I've ever done - RSSW gold rims 馃槉

Registered
It's good to hear that you're enjoying driving the manual transmission. Fewer people seem to have that desire anymore. Manual transmission has some benefits in slippery conditions too.

I like the gold wheels. They belong on Subarus.

Registered
Someday when you are an old fart like me you will appreciate the auto, but for the present enjoy the stick.

Registered
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
Unless you are an OF like me and prefer a stick :) Congrats, honestly I think the best way to learn is what you did. You have no choice but to learn and get it down. Pretty soon shifting becomes automatic to you in a way. Do you use the hill holder function? I had to disable it because the electronic version messed me up since I was more familiar with the previous mechanical they had set up.

I'm glad you have a manual there aren't a lot of us left. I taught both my kids and my oldest son, 23 just bought his first car and it's stick.

You need to get one of these :)

Custom TMGPS Vinyl Decal

Registered
Reminds me of my first 'real car', my 1972 VW Beetle. Learned to drive stick on that car (very forgiving, actually), and after a couple of months, I was floating gears about 80% of the time.

Registered
Congrats! IMO driving a stick for a few years will make you a better driver, even if you are Driving an automatic.

Registered
2020 Manual 4-door Base
Discussion Starter #7
Unless you are an OF like me and prefer a stick :) Congrats, honestly I think the best way to learn is what you did. You have no choice but to learn and get it down. Pretty soon shifting becomes automatic to you in a way. Do you use the hill holder function? I had to disable it because the electronic version messed me up since I was more familiar with the previous mechanical they had set up.

I'm glad you have a manual there aren't a lot of us left. I taught both my kids and my oldest son, 23 just bought his first car and it's stick.

You need to get one of these :)

Custom TMGPS Vinyl Decal
Thank you!

And no I haven't disabled hill rollback assist, though I've heard of peope doing that here. What does it really change? I feel confident enough to start on hills without assists but sometimes people like to ride my ass and it's nice to have a safety blanket

Registered
It uses the brakes to hold the car in place on an incline. I hate the hold assist because I end up fighting the brakes to make the car move forward until the car releases the brakes. On most inclines, if you transition from brake to gas pedal relatively quickly (not freaking out about going super quickly) and start your clutch engagement, that's good enough to prevent any significant roll back.

Registered
2018 Hatch 5MT
Glad you're enjoying stick. The rims look good. I disabled Hill Assist on mine because I'm not a fan of most of the 'new' driver aides. Hill starts are easy and give you the rare opportunity to put the e-brake to use in a responsible way. Nearly panic-stalled first time that Hill Assist kicked in as I wasn't expecting it. Wondered what the hell it was, searched thru the owners manual and disabled it. Also sucks that it's a lighted icon on the instrument cluster. Should've been where the traction control button is.

Registered
2020 Manual 4-door Base
Discussion Starter #10
So it doesn't affect anything else when you disable it? Pretty sure I've seen people here say that disabling it helps with things like shifting or moving at lower speeds in 1st gear without the jerkiness.

Registered
The previous version of hill assist was all mechanical. It was even on our 80's Subaru Brat. That worked a lot differently. On an incline, with the car in first, foot on the clutch and brake you would press hard on the brake, then remove your foot from the brake pedal that would hold the brake on until you took your foot off the clutch. So it held as long as you needed it to. It would not activate unless you really pressed hard on the brake.

The new system holds for 3 seconds when on an incline every time. First time I tired it I didn't realize it was only three seconds, it let loose scared the crap out of me and I almost hit the person behind me.

I was happy to find it can be disabled. A light comes on the dash but I covered it with some black tape. IMHO it's not the way to learn anyway.

To me it was intrusive and made it difficult for me to start being so grabby.

Registered
I consider that light to be an indication that my car is functioning properly. When the bulb burns out, I'll probably get nervous that hill start assist turn back on. :)

Administrator
2017 Imp 5 door. Auto, Red.
Someday when you are an old fart like me you will appreciate the auto, but for the present enjoy the stick.
I have owned both in my life but after I had my right shoulder operated on I basically need to have an "auto" tranny.

Registered
Hill assist? Just learn how to use a clutch properly on a hill. The parking brake comes in handy on those really steep hills.

FWIW, manual hill-holders were first offered by Studebaker about 65 years ago.

Registered
See that's the problem with the hill holder it comes on if you want it or not that's what I really don't like

1 - 16 of 16 Posts