5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
A few weeks ago I replaced my brake rotors and pads with supplies from R1Concepts. I started to notice what seems like to be a screech/scrape sound from the front driver's side on occasion when I am returning to driving after using the brakes. The sound only occurs roughly from 0-20mph and is not consistent, and you can hear it only from that mph range, so it is not increasing with speed etc so I have ruled out the axle or wheel bearings (from my limited knowledge).
I am assuming it is from the brake system and maybe I over tightened or something...? or I didn't add grease to the right parts?
Since I am assuming its related to the bolts, does anyone know the torque specs for installation on the bolts I removed from the vehicle to do the pads and rotors? 2017 Impreza Sport to be exact.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I used 19.9 ft lbs for the caliper bolts (not the bracket mount bolts). That seems to be the torque that most Subaru models use.

To me, it sounds like you have some brake pad drag occurring. Like the pads are staying in light contact with the rotors when the caliper pistons have retracted. This is always a possible occurrence with disk brakes. Maybe the backing plate is a really tight fit in the caliper or something you applied (grease or adhesive) is preventing the pad from freely backing off. That's my long distance guess without seeing and hearing it in person.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used 19.9 ft lbs for the caliper bolts (not the bracket mount bolts). That seems to be the torque that most Subaru models use.

To me, it sounds like you have some brake pad drag occurring. Like the pads are staying in light contact with the rotors when the caliper pistons have retracted. This is always a possible occurrence with disk brakes. Maybe the backing plate is a really tight fit in the caliper or something you applied (grease or adhesive) is preventing the pad from freely backing off. That's my long distance guess without seeing and hearing it in person.
Well you put it in good words, far better than I could with my knowledge. Okay, thanks I'll give it a try again with a torque wrench!

If anyone else has possible input I'll take other suggestions too. I've changed brake pads, rotors, and bled lines before, but never had this issue until it was my own car (go figure).

·
Registered
102 Posts
Make sure the caliper bracket to spindle bolt is tight, that keeps the entire assembly from moving, if anything is loose to cause that noise it would be that bolt.

Double check that you didn't bend the brake dust shield, if it is bent it can rub on the rotor, it is thin metal and can bend easily.

Lastly, if the brake pads have more metal content they will squeal and make metal to metal screeching noise. Many aftermarket pads will use higher metal content for performance, but they will screech/squeal more compared to stock.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
205 Posts
Lastly, if the brake pads have more metal content they will squeal and make metal to metal screeching noise. Many aftermarket pads will use higher metal content for performance, but they will screech/squeal more compared to stock.
Even though they say you don't need it, I like to put some CRC Brake Quiet goop on the back of the pads. Helps keep the noise down.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Even though they say you don't need it, I like to put some CRC Brake Quiet goop on the back of the pads. Helps keep the noise down.
oh yeah that helps to reduce squeal from vibrations, but high metal content brake pads will make their own noise - best described as metal to metal screech, two kinds of noise. Anyone who has used Hawk HP+ pads will know what I mean, great for performance but noisy as all hell.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
205 Posts
I just removed the hawk pads on my other car. I suppose it would have been really noisy if I were able to hear it. It's a convertible so everything is noisy :) Hawk pads tend to be aggressive depending on the type you install. At least I got my monies worth! ;)

·
Registered
102 Posts
I just removed the hawk pads on my other car. I suppose it would have been really noisy if I were able to hear it. It's a convertible so everything is noisy :) Hawk pads tend to be aggressive depending on the type you install. At least I got my monies worth! ;)

View attachment 22984
Those pads owe you nothing, lol . I always used Hawk HPS pads on the street, they were very quiet, HP+ were noisier along with their other track pads. Totally normal though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts