5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Thanks for this write up. I recently put Sport rims on my Limited and noticed a strong decrease in stopping power with the larger/heavier rim. I was just looking for info, mostly about whether the stock 17s would fit, and here we are... everything I needed to know in 1 spot.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I had a pretty good stomp on the brakes this afternoon and the car gave me all the braking I wanted. I don't typically need to do that so I don't have a panic stop comparison with the previous smaller discs. Larger discs give the calipers more leverage to stop axle rotation, so there should be more brake force capability.

·
Registered
'17, O.Z. Ultraleggera, K&N filter, tints, LED lights, cup phone holder
102 Posts
I've been doing some researching, and I think it makes logical sense that stopping the rotors farther from the center give more leverage. Where this become a tiny issue is during winter times up north here. The discs needs to heat up to be effective and has the reverse effect for the first few stops. I really wanted to do the upgrade you did and kept looking into it because it was such a great insight to get better parts! I've been trying to dig up stopping distance comparisons between Sport vs Premium/Base models. Alas, from what I've found, they normally just clump it all up and not really do the full test.

I wonder what else is leverageable from the Sport/Crosstreks.....

·
Registered
109 Posts
Only the front are larger. The rotor prices were low enough that I just decided I'd do a matched set for front and rear.
im going to do the same thing, but i dont know if the rear 277mm rotor and the 294mm rotor have the same size parking brake drum. Basically, obvy with different caliper brackets, can i put a 294mm rear rotor instead of the 277mm.

·
Registered
2019 Base CVT + Eyesight + Fogs
650 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I bought mine used so I didn't order by part number, but that is the part number Subaru has listed.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts