5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone looked into upgrading to brembo calipers? or If they will even fit, trying to do some research but haven't found to much just yet.

·
Premium Member
2017 Mazda CX-5 Sport
2,187 Posts
I haven't seen anyone on any of the forums doing this, keep us up to date.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I saw a really cool conversion of this guy putting a WRX engine into his crosstrek (granted it was based off of the 4th Gen Impreza) but he successfully transferred over the sti brakes. Im sure you could do the same thing with brembo brakes, just make sure they are for a 14 wrx or older as these have the 5x100 bolt pattern like our Impreza's do. In my opinion though the brakes in these cars are fairly good, and I have driven Porsches with ceramic brakes and things of that nature. Good luck if you do do the swap though, and be sure to take pictures. Here is the swap I was talking about.
Subaru Drive Performance - Mods: Crosstrek Body and WRX Soul, a Powerful Combination (13.1)

·
Registered
21 Posts
From the research I've done, you would be better off replacing your brake fluid with higher temp fluid, switching the stock brake lines with steel braided ones, and getting better pads than getting a whole new set up. Usually Brembos are only necessary for a trackable setup or if you significantly increase the hp of your vehicle. What's liable to happen if you switch is that you won't stop much quicker but your brakes will squeak and produce much more dust.

Reactions: C J

·
Registered
71 Posts
FYI... Subaru Brakes are all interchangeable for the most part.. The fronts are plug and play ..STi Brembo's fit with no issue but you will need 04 STi Rotors... (5x100) .. but they bolt right up.. the 06/07 WRX Subaru 4 Pots Fit also.. These don't require a rotor swap..as the stock Front Impreza Rotors are the same size that the 4pots require to begin with..
The Rears would need an adapter Bracket for them to work.. and change the Rotors out to either a Legacy GT or the 04 STi 5x100 ...Depending on which setup you go with.. the Subaru 2 pots or the Brembo STi 2 pots.. the Brz Brembo is plug and play also.. Hope that helps some of you. :)

Subaru 4 pots on my Impreza Wagon for reference..:)

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
FYI... Subaru Brakes are all interchangeable for the most part.. The fronts are plug and play ..STi Brembo's fit with no issue but you will need 04 STi Rotors... (5x100) .. but they bolt right up.. the 06/07 WRX Subaru 4 Pots Fit also.. These don't require a rotor swap..as the stock Front Impreza Rotors are the same size that the 4pots require to begin with..
The Rears would need an adapter Bracket for them to work.. and change the Rotors out to either a Legacy GT or the 04 STi 5x100 ...Depending on which setup you go with.. the Subaru 2 pots or the Brembo STi 2 pots.. the Brz Brembo is plug and play also.. Hope that helps some of you. :)

Assume you mean Sport fronts? Base and other models have smaller front calipers...

·
Registered
37 Posts
. the 06/07 WRX Subaru 4 Pots Fit also.. These don't require a rotor swap..as the stock Front Impreza Rotors are the same size that the 4pots require to begin with..
Are you saying then we can use the 06/07 rotors as well? I just bought a pair of the 06/07 wrx front calibers and a set of ebc red stuff pads for them. The 06/07 wrx ebc rotors have good reviews too, just not sure if those are the exact same as on our car.

Also, when you say the rears need an adapter bracket to use the 06/07 2 pot rears, are you talking about something that would need custom fabbing or is there an adapter bracket out there that you know of?

One thing I will say is these EBC red stuff pads are great, but the fronts do NOT fit our guide pin slots. Mine are starting to make horrible noises, thus why I'm swaping them to the 06/07 calibers. But the stopping power gains are huge with the EBC red stuff pads. Much better bite and stopping power, and no more brake fade on long downhill mountain driving at 70-80mph speeds, which was defiantly a problem for me on stock pads.

The back EBC Red Stuff pads DO fit the stock rear calibers on our car, so I may just stick with them if the 2 pot 06/07 wrx calibers need fab work.

·
Registered
5 Posts

How much room between your rotors and wheels did it leave you after the conversion?

·
Registered
37 Posts
How much room between your rotors and wheels did it leave you after the conversion?
I have a limited and stock wheels did not fit. I got after market wheels and they fit by a few mm’s. Sooo close but they JUST clear. The 06/07 4 pots that is. They are so much better than the stock calipers btw. You DO need the Impreza sport rotarz. The stock or limited rotors are too small. But the sport rotors bolt up too any trim. Just keep that in mind if you don’t have the sport model. I didn’t and couldn’t drive my car for a day till I got the right rotors.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a limited and stock wheels did not fit. I got after market wheels and they fit by a few mm’s. Sooo close but they JUST clear. The 06/07 4 pots that is. They are so much better than the stock calipers btw. You DO need the Impreza sport rotarz. The stock or limited rotors are too small. But the sport rotors bolt up too any trim. Just keep that in mind if you don’t have the sport model. I didn’t and couldn’t drive my car for a day till I got the right rotors.
I have an 18 sport hatch. What size are your after market wheels? I’m running 18 8.5 Koenig ampliforms

1 - 10 of 10 Posts