5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple days ago, I noticed a burning smell coming from the engine from my Impreza. It's a 2017 Sport 5-speed, coming close to 59k miles.

It was very noticeable once I parked the car after running it to normal operating temps - the smell was very apparent once you're standing by the engine, and even more-so when I popped the hood.

First thing I did was check fluid levels, and while my coolant was somewhat low, I didn't think much of it. Filled it back up to full and thought that might have solved the issue, but just came home tonight and the smell still lingers.

I just brought it back a week ago to the dealer to get the PCV recall & ignition coil recall. Shined a flashlight throughout the engine, but couldn't find any noticeable leaks. Thinking about bringing it back to the dealer just to get it inspected.

Anyone had any similar issues?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've noticed such a smell before, the time it was most apparent was after backing into a slippery parking space during some snow early last year. I figured it was maybe sloppy clutch work, or perhaps a chunk of snow made its way above the belly pan during backing, moistening a belt... it smelled similar to a rubber belt getting too hot from friction (like an old vacuum cleaner belt becoming loose)... I've also read when the center dif's fluid heats up and locks/does its thing this can also smell?

I'm not certain what the smell may be, but yes I think I've noticed what you're describing. I just rolled over 20k for reference.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Check your axles for any leaks onto the exhaust. I’d ramp the car up and pull the skid cover and do a thorough self inspection.

·
Super Moderator
756 Posts
I had a similar issue after I got the ignition recoil recall fixed and an oil change. Backed the car into the garage and the cabin filled up with gray smoke and noticed some gray smoke coming out of the front grill. Popped the hood and couldn't determine what the issue was. Since then I've only noticed the smell once and it was about a week after it was serviced. The car is garage kept, no leaks. If it kept occurring I was going to bring it back to the dealer, but all seems well now.

Maybe they spilled some oil during the oil change?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had this happen. Turns out a plastic shopping bag had blown under my car and stuck to the catalytic converter and was then melting making a burning smell.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts