5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm interested in purchasing an Impreza Sport 5-speed hatchback. I'm drawn to the Impreza because of its boxer flat-four engine and Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive.

I'm not expecting a hot hatch, but in my research, it's the Mazda3 and Civic which are consistently mentioned as fun to drive hatchbacks. The performance numbers, such as the Impreza being 2 seconds slower to 60, make the case for the those vehicles.

I'm aware of the old adage that it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow, but I wonder if this is the case with the Impreza. My hope is that you owners of an Impreza Sport will share your experience and possibly unbiased opinion.

I appreciate it in advance. 馃檹

Registered
It's a pretty fun little car once you get up past 3k rpm. There are times when I wish it had a little more power, an fb25 or fa20 would have been nice, but the fb20 does keep me out of trouble without much of any worry of holding back the RPMs. Can be a little underwhelming for highway drving in the dry, but makes up for it on winding roads, wet, and snow

Reactions: OR_Sport

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's a pretty fun little car once you get up past 3k rpm. There are times when I wish it had a little more power, an fb25 or fa20 would have been nice, but the fb20 does keep me out of trouble without much of any worry of holding back the RPMs. Can be a little underwhelming for highway drving in the dry, but makes up for it on winding roads, wet, and snow
To your point, after posting my inquiry, I watched this video which mentions what you describe:

Registered
To your point, after posting my inquiry, I watched this video which mentions what you describe:

I'd agree with most of what he mentioned, though he under sold it a bit on the highway, not entirely sluggish if you rev it up, until I'm up to speed I just keep the revs up. And in regard to the lack of steerling feel, the steering lockdown mod helps a lot, a must have IMO if you do a lot of highway miles or spirited driving, tightens it up nicely

Registered
The shifter in the Sport is very good... not up to Honda standards but has nice short throws and it's easy to be accurate. You just have to be willing to push it to go anywhere, driving it easy at half-throttle is less than satisfying. The handling/ride balance is very good; for as well as it handles, it still has a decent ride. You can feel the torque-vectoring working when cornering hard but I believe it helps.

ModFather
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
I have an Impreza Sport an old Miata both manuals; is it as sporty as the Miata, no is it still fun to drive? Absolutely! Granted, pretty much any manual car is more fun to drive than an auto if you like manuals. The Impreza is very sure footed and if you live where you get snow, throw a set of dedicated snows on and the fun really begins :) There are some mods you can do too, look at the link in my signature. Best thing to do, if possible, is find one to drive. Not an easy task though in the current new car climate.

Registered
I live in mountainous SW Pennsylvania, which has great driving roads, and think the Sport is a delight to drive. Being built on the rigid Subaru Global Platform, having decent suspension tuning & a low center of gravity, front & rear stabilizer bars, low-profile tires and torque vectoring results in great handling. The Sport can carry a lot of speed into corners with no obvious body flex and minimal body roll.

The ride is good, but you do have to be careful to avoid deep potholes with little sidewall to take the abuse. It can be jarring.

No disrespect intended to other members; but while light, I think the steering is fast and precise with good road feel. It does get too twitchy in high crosswinds.

The Impreza isn鈥檛 fast, but too much is made of its lack of power. It鈥檚 relatively light for a modern car and has a flat torque curve. I have no trouble passing on highways, but do wish there was more power on long, steep grades. I agree that another ~50 HP and more torque like the FA20 has would be nice.

I watched the video. I鈥檓 wondering how the reviewer can get a sense of handling on straight roads in flat terrain?

Registered
2.0i 5D 5MT Silver
Yes, I quite love driving mine. But - delete the rev-hang, that has made the driving wayyy smoother. I did a custom tune on mine and that really improved the power feel thruout the band.

But for the 3.5ish years I drove it stock, I still really enjoyed it.

I don't have the sport short throw, but I honestly quite like the gearbox feel, I never really felt the need to put a short throw shifter in.

And re highway... no problems here. As others have said just keep RPMs up during acceleration. But I will say after my tune, the 2-3k range has quite a bit more power in it which you do feel on the highways with hills.

Registered
2022 Sport 5-Door
I鈥檝e enjoyed driving mine for the past 2900 miles, thus far city and highway driving have been pleasant. In a city bordering Kansas/Missouri, the hills and traffic haven鈥檛 been a chore and keeping revs higher has helped with the lack of low end torque.
Alas, my only complaint would be the desire to have slightly more horsepower, but fwiw, the manual transmission has been what鈥檚 kept my drive to work thrilling and actively engaging.

Since I鈥檝e yet to experience winter in my Impreza, I can鈥檛 comment on the capabilities, but from previous experience in a Forester having better snow capabilities than my 4WD Isuzu, I鈥檇 bet that the Impreza should handle about as good, without the same ground clearance though.

ModFather
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
I鈥檝e enjoyed driving mine for the past 2900 miles, thus far city and highway driving have been pleasant. In a city bordering Kansas/Missouri,
You must be close to me, I'm in Lawrence, KS My kid lives in OP.

Registered
I guess it depends on where you live and what kind of driving you do. If you live in some place where it's flat and never snows, then you're probably better off with either the Mazda or the Honda. However, if you want a car that's still fun to drive when it rains or snows, then the Subaru is a good idea. You can still be driving at a good speed in conditions that would put those other cars in the ditch.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I guess it depends on where you live and what kind of driving you do. If you live in some place where it's flat and never snows, then you're probably better off with either the Mazda or the Honda. However, if you want a car that's still fun to drive when it rains or snows, then the Subaru is a good idea. You can still be driving at a good speed in conditions that would put those other cars in the ditch.
Is the Jetta in the equation? It's interesting that it has 147 hp, but with its 184 lb-ft of torque, it reaches 60 mph about 1.5 seconds quicker than the Impreza. The issue with the Impreza isn't its 152 hp, it's the 145 lb-ft of torque. A vehicle can have 400 hp, but it needs torque to move it.

The Impreza is a visual and mechanical piece of craftsmanship, but I don't understand the reason for the low torque.

Registered
The Sport 5MT is fun to drive as long as you accept its flaws. The handling is great for what you're paying for (though for the hatch, the rear feels light). Also, when my 5MT is the one digging out of the snow, and not me, that's fun in my book.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts