5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Base CVT + Eyesight + Fogs
650 Posts
AC increases RPM and makes the engine louder. If that's not what you're describing then consider that the AC introduces a load and changes how the alternator spins. Could this be the noise?

A replacement alternator is part 23700AA98B , costs $400 msrp, $50 used ebay, $180 aftermarket

You most likely also want a new belt 23780AA08A for $25.

If you have a wrench and a socket set consider changing it yourself.

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Impreza 5-Door Sport 5MT
423 Posts
So I have a 2017 subaru impreza 2.0i base model. I changed my brakes all the way around. Les shwab guys says my wheel bearings are good. I have a low groaning noise when deceleration and braking when the ac is on. No noise when ac is off. Anyone know what it is?
Any way you could get us a video?

·
Registered
2022 Sport 5-Door
207 Posts
You want my drive down the road and get a video clip of the noise? Are you nuts? I'm not getting a ticket for using my phone.
You could put the phone in the cup holder, or have a friend/family member hold the phone. Don't hold it yourself while driving. Could also find a large empty parking lot.

·
Registered
697 Posts
You want my drive down the road and get a video clip of the noise? Are you nuts? I'm not getting a ticket for using my phone.
The state laws I am aware of disallow HOLDING an electronic device whilst driving..... using one is not illegal. In many cases, a device mounted in a holder is acceptable.

How do you think all the entertainment features which bluetooth to a cellular device work?

·
Read Only
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
AC increases RPM and makes the engine louder. If that's not what you're describing then consider that the AC introduces a load and changes how the alternator spins. Could this be the noise?

A replacement alternator is part 23700AA98B , costs $400 msrp, $50 used ebay, $180 aftermarket

You most likely also want a new belt 23780AA08A for $25.

If you have a wrench and a socket set consider changing it yourself.
If it was the alternator then the car would have a hard time starting. It would be sucking power from the battery. It's pretty sad I can't get one straight answer from people who claim to know these vehicles. Alternator tested fine, ac compressor tested fine, cvt transmission is fine. Anyone have a real answer and not an opinion? I leaning ac compressor cluth or idler pulley because the belt is fine.

·
Registered
2022 Sport 5-Door
207 Posts
Merely describing a noise that is unusual for most people to hear or know would make it difficult to diagnose. Providing a sample of the audio and the reproducible conditions would certainly make aiding in a diagnosis easier. However our diagnosis is even limited because we don't have the vehicle in front of us to see. If you've already found that the sound isn't from a common source and we're unable to help, then your best bet is your favorite mechanic and or technician.

A bad alternator wouldnt make starting hard unless your battery is discharged. I too would lean toward the ac clutch, have a friend start the car and change the ac settings while you inspect the engine bay.

·
Read Only
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Merely describing a noise that is unusual for most people to hear or know would make it difficult to diagnose. Providing a sample of the audio and the reproducible conditions would certainly make aiding in a diagnosis easier. However our diagnosis is even limited because we don't have the vehicle in front of us to see. If you've already found that the sound isn't from a common source and we're unable to help, then your best bet is your favorite mechanic and or technician.

A bad alternator wouldnt make starting hard unless your battery is discharged. I too would lean toward the ac clutch, have a friend start the car and change the ac settings while you inspect the engine bay.
Honestly I'm not sure what to do. Go an oil change, had the ac on the whole way home. While braking heard nothing. If it comes back louder then I will fix it. I really thought someone here would have had the same problem and how to fix it. I'm not going to drive a car and try to get a noise clip. As I stated before I need help. I need this car to last.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Where the heck do you live that mounting a phone in your car has you that frightened? lol

·
Read Only
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Where the heck do you live that mounting a phone in your car has you that frightened? lol
I can't find a mount for this car that won't block a vent. BTW not everyone needs your opinion unless you're actually giving an opinion about the noise. I don't need to document everything like everyone else does

·
Registered
423 Posts
I can't find a mount for this car that won't block a vent. BTW not everyone needs your opinion unless you're actually giving an opinion about the noise. I don't need to document everything like everyone else does
Jesus settle down. You're the one that called me nuts when asking for a video. Just because "YOU ASSUMED" that meant holding a phone with your hand rather than mounting something stationary, is a YOU problem. You asked for help, and you want us to pull a result out of our asses without a video. Sorry, but investigating customer symptoms using their descriptions is almost always an impossible task. This is why shops require duplication of the issue before they will do anything.

If you want us to help you, you need to help us. That is where a video comes in. If you aren't comfortable getting that information, then you may need to take the car into a shop which can in fact track down the noise you are discussing. At this time, there isn't enough information to give something concrete.

·
Read Only
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jesus settle down. You're the one that called me nuts when asking for a video. Just because "YOU ASSUMED" that meant holding a phone with your hand rather than mounting something stationary, is a YOU problem. You asked for help, and you want us to pull a result out of our asses without a video. Sorry, but investigating customer symptoms using their descriptions is almost always an impossible task. This is why shops require duplication of the issue before they will do anything.

If you want us to help you, you need to help us. That is where a video comes in. If you aren't comfortable getting that information, then you may need to take the car into a shop which can in fact track down the noise you are discussing. At this time, there isn't enough information to give something concrete.
I'm not posting a video period. You're the one with a problem thinking everyone needs to document everything. If you can't help. Gtfo. Figure it out or quit commenting. You're the one who assumed I would follow everyone else. Bye. I don't need your opinion obviously

·
Registered
423 Posts
I'm not posting a video period. You're the one with a problem thinking everyone needs to document everything. If you can't help. Gtfo. Figure it out or quit commenting. You're the one who assumed I would follow everyone else. Bye. I don't need your opinion obviously
Dude you're the one trying to align getting new brakes with a moaning noise while the A/C is on. When you can connect the two systems and come up with a logical explanation, do it. IDGAF about your documentation, but telling me to figure it out or gtfo is extremely arrogant. We owe you nothing.

OP - Asks for help
Me - Asks for more info to assist
OP - NOOOOOOO, FIGURE IT OUT. I REFUSE TO GET A VIDEO. YOUR OPINION DOESN'T MATTER (unless you fix my car)

How about you GTFO and stop wasting everyones time.

·
Read Only
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dude you're the one trying to align getting new brakes with a moaning noise while the A/C is on. When you can connect the two systems and come up with a logical explanation, do it. IDGAF about your documentation, but telling me to figure it out or gtfo is extremely arrogant. We owe you nothing.

OP - Asks for help
Me - Asks for more info to assist
OP - NOOOOOOO, FIGURE IT OUT. I REFUSE TO GET A VIDEO. YOUR OPINION DOESN'T MATTER (unless you fix my car)

How about you GTFO and stop wasting everyones time.
I'm not waisting anyone time. I asked for a little help and everyone gives me 4 different answers. If you would have read the post the noise only happens when ac is on and I'm braking. You guys insist I make a video. Which I'm not doing period. You guys are supposed to be experts on these cars. Yet, all I see is whining and bs and getting upset because I don't want to video. You're opinions are bs. No wonder the car community doesn't like subaru people. A bunch of over dramatic cry babies. I will stick with a knowledge mechanic from now on because you don't know anything. Get over yourself. Gtfo

·
Registered
423 Posts
You guys are supposed to be experts on these cars. Yet, all I see is whining and bs and getting upset because I don't want to video. You're opinions are bs.
Again, you've given us very little to go off of. These experts you speak of are just car enthusiast which own the same model car as you. I think you have been mislead on what this forum is. Don't give people BS symptoms and expect greatness. Information you receive is only going to be as good as the information you provide us. If Subaru trust my opinion as a Quality Engineer in their manufacturing facility then I'll take that over your lack of understanding in basic vehicle sub systems. You need to remember we don't work for you. People are taking time out of their day to assist and you refuse to do anything additional. My favorite part about this entire thread is the fact you still think everyone else is the problem...

Now I'll GTFO - 👋👋

·
Read Only
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Again, you've given us very little to go off of. These experts you speak of are just car enthusiast which own the same model car as you. I think you have been mislead on what this forum is. Don't give people BS symptoms and expect greatness. Information you receive is only going to be as good as the information you provide us. If Subaru trust my opinion as a Quality Engineer in their manufacturing facility then I'll take that over your lack of understanding in basic vehicle sub systems. You need to remember we don't work for you. People are taking time out of their day to assist and you refuse to do anything additional. My favorite part about this entire thread is the fact you still think everyone else is the problem...

Now I'll GTFO - 👋👋

Wow great comeback. I've given every symptoms that has happened. You all cry over me not posting a video instead of helping. Sounds like none of you have knowledge of this car. You just want to belittle me because I won't post a video. If tried to get a video I would be a hazard to the road because the noise doesn't happen when I'm parked. I've given you time and time again of everything I'm doing and hearing. Take your bs opinion and little common sense and leave me alone unless you're willing to help. Bye now

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.