5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
I actually have not gotten any oil analysis done. Ive never had a newer car and didnt know to do these things. The old 04 silverado was simple, if its throwing codes, clear them and top her off with oil LMAO. I will definitely be doing this in the future though. Car’s going to the dealer this thursday, we’ll see what they say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I didn't want you to get the impression that getting oil samples done is something you should be doing or should have known to do. It's not something done typically, but is more common than it used to be and more so with car enthusiasts. I've been doing them for years because I do extended drain intervals so I have to establish engine health initially and then to make sure the oil is good through the oil run.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Please keep us updated. Just out of curiosity, had you done any oil analysis' since you've owned the car? We bought ours used, it just had 6K miles on it, but when I changed the oil, I sent in a sample to make sure there was nothing out of the ordinary going on. I typically do 3 or 4 to establish a baseline to determine engine health and what my oil change interval will be.
UPDATE

I just got word back from the dealer, I spun a rod bearing. I assumed it would be replaceable and the internal damage wouldn’t be that bad, but they decided they’re going to replace the whole engine. Thankfully this happened 500 miles before my warranty ended, its only going to cost me $370 and thats to fix something unrelated. I don’t know whether to be annoyed or excited that im getting a new engine lmao.

·
Registered
144 Posts
The whole engine or the short block? When I had mine replaced for excessive oil consumption, the would only do a short block, even though I only had about 10k on the car at the time.

For what it's worth, the same engine noise and clackity clack running sound was there before the replacement, and still remained after. So whatever is making my noise was not in the lower end. Just FYI.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The whole engine or the short block? When I had mine replaced for excessive oil consumption, the would only do a short block, even though I only had about 10k on the car at the time.

For what it's worth, the same engine noise and clackity clack running sound was there before the replacement, and still remained after. So whatever is making my noise was not in the lower end. Just FYI.
i believe they said the whole engine. The normal clackity sound wasnt the issue, i ended up spinning a rod bearing and that was making the excessive clackity noise in the video above

·
Registered
2018 Impreza base. 5MT
36 Posts
Maybe I missed it, but did you mention your oil change intervals, type of oil used, and driving conditions such as either city or highway? I have similar mileage on my 18.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Maybe I missed it, but did you mention your oil change intervals, type of oil used, and driving conditions such as either city or highway? I have similar mileage on my 18.
ive had the car for the past 10k miles, ive changed the oil twice since owning it. I use Valvoline full synthetic high mileage 0W-20. driving conditions vary, id say 60% city driving 40% highway.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Thanks for the update. Good that you found out the issue, bad it was the bearing, good it's covered under warranty, bad it has such low miles.

It's stories like these that made me decide to run 0w-30. I think the heavier oil will give a little more protection, but who knows. It seems like Subaru has had a rod bearing issue in their 2.0's since 2008. It's dissapointing. to say the least.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Update: dropped my car off on thursday january 28th. todays the 18th, and they still have not finished my car. I was told 2 weeks tops and today is 3 weeks on the dot. I just want my damn car back.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Update: dropped my car off on thursday january 28th. todays the 18th, and they still have not finished my car. I was told 2 weeks tops and today is 3 weeks on the dot. I just want my damn car back.

Now you know why people hate bringing their cars to dealerships...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hope they at least provided you with a loaner car and can get your car back tonyou soon. When mine was done, it was only a few days. But I know it all depends on work load and scheduling.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Hope they at least provided you with a loaner car and can get your car back tonyou soon. When mine was done, it was only a few days. But I know it all depends on work load and scheduling.
i actually just got it back earlier today, im not mad that it took 3 weeks, just a little annoying that they told me itd be less than 2. She runs beautifully now tho!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts