5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel like I can hear every single leaf brushing under my car and every twig my tires drive over. I keep finding myself turning my radio down to see if what I just heard was road noise or something under my hood.

Maybe I'm used to more insulation after driving a Volvo for 8 years.

·
Registered
2020 Sport hatchback manual - Baltimore, MD
23 Posts
You must be used to your Volvo. Engine noise is more pronounced than my previously owned '09 and '17 Mazda 3s (certainly not a bad thing). The 225-18" tires make more noise than the 195-17" and 205-16" tires respectively, but that's to be anticipated.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I feel like I can hear every single leaf brushing under my car and every twig my tires drive over. I keep finding myself turning my radio down to see if what I just heard was road noise or something under my hood.

What was the cost of the Volvo compared to the Impreza?

I just don't understand people stepping down from luxury brands and expecting a car that was probably 50% or more less to be the same.

Didn't you test drive it before you bought it?

·
Registered
337 Posts
LOL That's soo funny. I too went from a Volvo (98S70glt) 17 years ownership before the Impreza. Yeah that Volvo had heavier gauge steel skin and sound dampened thick door liners, floor carpet padding, thick headliner foam and acoustical suspension weight dampers built into the center console along with full tar undercoat. It's comparing a Luxury to an Economy.
The Impreza, is a bit noisy with the road noise transmission through the floor boards. The rain on the roof sounds like a tin can. The suspension acoustics transmit interesting harmonics through the frame. But; I knew this was no $45K car and lowered my expectations to own something affordable along with a kick ass all wheel drive system and saving MPG. The Volvo after its 200K miles gave me 17mpg around town the Impreza gives me 28.

Yes it's a little noisy if your are comparing to the Volvo but if you compare the Impreza to a Mitsubishi Lancer you will hear they are the same.

·
Registered
481 Posts
The joys of buying an economy car. Subarus larger cars are much more pleasant to be inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
481 Posts
The new wranglers with the hard top are actually quieter than an Impreza inside

·
Registered
2019 Impreza 5 dr. auto, limited
61 Posts
They do have a good bit of road noise. I tried fixing that issue with better speakers and a muffler delete.

·
Registered
121 Posts
My 2019 base MT is fairly quiet for a compact car... I have the 16 inch tires.
My wife's Toyota CHR with 18 inch wheels is about the same or a bit louder.
I had a 2007 Toyota Yaris, now that was loud with road noise.

·
Registered
342 Posts
The new wranglers with the hard top are actually quieter than an Impreza inside

I've never been in any vehicle with a flat (mostly flat) windshield that wasn't very noisy. I hope you are right, when the bronco comes out maybe there will be a bunch of low mile used 2 doors for sale. The JL 2 Door is the best looking Jeep ever made IMO and I would give them another chance if they are noticeably better. I owned a 2015 Wrangler and a 2016 Wrangler 4 door and both of them gave me a headache after and hour, not kidding. My Impreza is leagues quieter than my JK and JKU.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I agree that my impreza has more 'road noise' than any other vehicle I have ever owned. I also realize that is it an economy vehicle. I am loving the 30+ MPG.

Every time I ride in my wifes Outback, I am reminded how LOUD my Impreza is.

I have seriously considered noise insulation (stick-on matting) which would go a LONG way towards improving things.
The added weight may impact the MPG... but the quietetude would be welcome.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've never been in any vehicle with a flat (mostly flat) windshield that wasn't very noisy. I hope you are right, when the bronco comes out maybe there will be a bunch of low mile used 2 doors for sale. The JL 2 Door is the best looking Jeep ever made IMO and I would give them another chance if they are noticeably better. I owned a 2015 Wrangler and a 2016 Wrangler 4 door and both of them gave me a headache after and hour, not kidding. My Impreza is leagues quieter than my JK and JKU.
Might want to check out the JL forums before rushing off to give FCA your money.

Almost bought one- hot garbage. Got a Bronco reserved.

·
Registered
39 Posts

Before getting my Impreza, I used to drive Hyundai Accent, which was way quieter. Unfortunately Impreza has poor sound insulation; I hear almost everything around me almost as if I have %5 of the window open. I feel like noises come through the are between the door and the windshield & the roof. I saw some insolation rubber on Chinese online stores, but still thinking.

·
Registered
2017 Toyota 86, 2020 Impreza
21 Posts
I find it the same or worse as my 86 which surprised me. I'd have to jump in back to back but the 86 seems quieter with rear seats up.

I was riding passenger in the Impreza so I'm probably just noticing more due to not driving.
These cars are inexpensive to buy, so I can't really fault that. If it bugs the GF I may attempt to dynamat the doors and other areas to help quiet it down.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Totally used to my old Volvo. It was my first car, had it for 8 years before switching to the Impreza. I wouldn't in a million years have considered it luxury (2007 Volvo S40 non-turbo FWD sedan, pretty bog-standard car in my opinion) but it really was hella quiet.

I got used to road noise pretty quick in my Impreza, but I was pretty surprised by the sounds of leaves scraping under my car. I have absolutely no other complaints about noise though - aside from my squeaky seat. I should sit back and remember that this car competes with Corollas and the like...

·
Registered
39 Posts
My 2019 base MT is fairly quiet for a compact car... I have the 16 inch tires.
My wife's Toyota CHR with 18 inch wheels is about the same or a bit louder.
I had a 2007 Toyota Yaris, now that was loud with road noise.
Mine is 17 inches, with the quiet Turanza tires. Yet a part of the road I take to home is made of recycled tires -to reduce noise-, so when I drive on that part with the Turanza, I almost only hear air, which is very loud in the Impreza unfortunately.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I don't find noise all that bad perhaps because of the driving I do which is just making short hops here and there because I'm retired. I never had a luxury vehicle too, so nothing to compare it to. I had a 2012 Forester and if you want to hear noise, that's the one to drive. There were squeaks and rattles eminating from all quarters which occured all over the cabin. It must have been Scotch taped together.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Mine is 17 inches, with the quiet Turanza tires. Yet a part of the road I take to home is made of recycled tires -to reduce noise-, so when I drive on that part with the Turanza, I almost only hear air, which is very loud in the Impreza unfortunately.
Just rode in co workers 2020 Corolla Nightshade edition, it's roughly the same road noise wise, but I have more engine noise come through because of my MT and the Boxer. Neither are quiet cars.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts