5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
This is definitely the noisiest car I’ve ever owned. Squeaks, rattles, there’s a new weird noise just about every week. I’m used to it now but I don’t think it’s accurate to say this is acceptable because this is an economy car. Driven many late model economy cars and this Subaru emits way more noises than anything I’ve driven or owners.

·
Registered
118 Posts
This is definitely the noisiest car I’ve ever owned. Squeaks, rattles, there’s a new weird noise just about every week. I’m used to it now but I don’t think it’s accurate to say this is acceptable because this is an economy car. Driven many late model economy cars and this Subaru emits way more noises than anything I’ve driven or owners.
The way that I see it, bought my new 2019 Hatch 5MT last April for 19K OTD.. Subaru had to replace my AC Compressor and fixed some rattles, Subaru then gave me a 7yr 100K Gold plus warranty for my peace of mind.
A brand new AWD car for 19K with a 100K warranty is pretty good in my book, I can live with a few rattles.
Subaru spends more on the mechanical bits than a comparable Corolla or Civic... I'm sure they have to skimp on some other things to make the price work.

·
Registered
2019 Impreza Premium Hatch CVT
162 Posts
After driving my FedEx truck for 8-10 hours a day, the quietness of my Subaru on my commute home is heaven :D

Then again, I'm already losing some hearing because of work and years of driving a CJ-7 with no top and doors.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Then get them fixed. Our Sport doesn't have any squeaks or rattles.
We're talking about road noise. You aren't getting all the sound deadening measures in a sub 20k car that you get in 30k+ cars.

·
ModFather
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
830 Posts
I guess it's all relative. I've never noticed but then again I've been wearing hearing aids for the past 25 years :p I also have a loud exhaust and my other car is a Miata.

Reactions: longboy

·
Registered
Base MY20
3 Posts
Try this: Kilmat 50 mil 50 sqft Car Sound Deadening Mat, Butyl Automotive Sound Deadener, Audio Noise Insulation and dampening https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0751G6TMV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_oNBTFb43EQJ0G?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
You convinced me to look into sound deadening and I bit the bullet on this set (though 25 sq ft as that is all I could get to AU for a reasonable price).

Going to install in the doors when they arrive next month and post results. Overall the car isn't THAT loud, but I think it is loud enough to warrant some basic deadening and see how it goes :) Might make the stock speakers feel a bit less shit without going to trouble of installing amp etc.

Maybe it will be a massive difference and I'll be hooked on deadening, and will add some to the spare wheel well and other places, haha.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
You convinced me to look into sound deadening and I bit the bullet on this set (though 25 sq ft as that is all I could get to AU for a reasonable price).

Going to install in the doors when they arrive next month and post results. Overall the car isn't THAT loud, but I think it is loud enough to warrant some basic deadening and see how it goes :) Might make the stock speakers feel a bit less shit without going to trouble of installing amp etc.

Maybe it will be a massive difference and I'll be hooked on deadening, and will add some to the spare wheel well and other places, haha.
Keep us posted on how it turns out!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I didn't find my 2019 Impreza Sport 5-door to be a noisy car as delivered, and either did MOTORTREND magazine in their December 2016 first drive report:

2017 Subaru Impreza First Drive Review: Problem Solver (motortrend.com)

"Noise is better isolated. The solid structure reduces road noise in all situations except extremely coarse pavement and concrete, which few cars handle very well. Wind noise only seemed to be much of an issue at very high freeway speeds. Even the HVAC system has tempered its jet-plane roar by 50 percent, due to different blowers and larger openings."

However, I didn't like the sound (vs decibels) of the exhaust drone during low speed/low rpm driving. I applied ~8.5 square feet of Noico 80-mill sound deadening mat to the spare tire well. Installation was easy and took about 3 hours. The mat did a great job of reducing drone. Now the predominant sound in the cabin is mild engine noise--a good thing, as it's a very nice sounding engine.

Later, I pulled the rear seat bottom and applied the remaining ~1.5 square feet of mat from my purchase to the floor. That's not much mat, so I added it in long 1-inch wide strips to areas that resonated when tapped. It did a remarkable job of sound-deadening given the minimal amount of mat.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts