5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Lately I’ve been at 11.9L/100km. 2019 model that I got at the end of March. I started out at around 11. Almost all city driving. I was disappointed, but figured it’s because of all the hills I have to climb in Vancouver. After not getting any better, I gave up on slow acceleration. Still not happy, but have yet to ask the dealer about it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Only because you linked me here. I read through the thread and you posted your driving style but not all the info. Do you idle your car to warm the interior? Do you run your car to cool it down? Run a remote start? What kind of fuel are you using a proper gas station or fuel at work that is for tractor equipment? Have you reset both your trips? Is this through your display it's saying you're getting this bad of mileage or are you hand calculating it? In my many years of being a Subaru tech it's always driving habits and people have no clue what affects fuel consumption.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Warm to temp most days until the blue temp light turns off, no cool down, no remote start to waste fuel, just regular gas and tried different brands for a month at a time with the same results, using both the car’s display and by hand. It’s a lot of extra work which we shouldn’t be doing. We’d like to just enjoy the car and not have to throw money into the fire. If you have any more suggestions, by all means. If not, thanks for replying.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Warm to temp most days until the blue temp light turns off, no cool down, no remote start to waste fuel, just regular gas and tried different brands for a month at a time with the same results, using both the car’s display and by hand. It’s a lot of extra work which we shouldn’t be doing. We’d like to just enjoy the car and not have to throw money into the fire. If you have any more suggestions, by all means. If not, thanks for replying.
So no remote start. You walk out in the morning and start your car. So you'd say you probably idle the car for about 10 min before you leave? Do you sit there in the car until the blue light turns off? My recommendation to you is if you really care about the mpg's go 1 tank without warming up the car and see what you get. Leave the car in D and drive normally. I'm currently at 28 mpg and idle my car for 10 min in the morning and before I leave work. Only difference is I drive 35 miles to work all highway. I could imagine if I drove in the city like you I'd be in the low 20 range.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
So, are my numbers on par with what you see in customer cars that come into your dealerships? That’s all I need to know. Is the car performing normally, or is there something that needs attention?

Let’s get real, who has the time to sit and waste time & fuel and add pollution to the environment for 10mins every time you start up? I was simply following the suggestions from the tech and manager at the dealership to wait until it warmed up and the blue temp light turned off.

Car is parked in the garage. I live in a rural area where it’s mixed city & long straight roads without lights. You can’t assume it’s all city streets. Here’s plenty of hwy driving, or what you may call freeways in the US. After about three years of ownership and various conditions and attempts to attain better numbers, I just drive it normally or as I would’ve with my old car now.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Trying to track mileage in varying conditions is tricky to compare. Different traffic patterns, weather conditions, fuel types and driving habits will net you different numbers all the time. Go through one drive-thru and watch your numbers plummet. I would not idle until the blue light goes away, that is not necessary and is just wasteful, bad advice IMO. You can drive away sooner and just drive a bit slower on the road , once the blue light goes away you can start pushing the engine on the road.

Winter fuel and cold temps kill fuel economy numbers. Summer fuel and summer hot temps will net you the best numbers. Driving in the rain can decrease fuel economy numbers too, compared to dry hot weather conditions.

Don't use government fuel economy ratings to compare to your numbers, as you are likely driving much different than what they use during government certification tests. We all likely drive faster than what they use in government fuel economy testing. Highway driving is based on 60 mph speeds, I know I drive at 70 mph, same thing applies for city driving speeds.

The only consistent numbers I can rely on are my highway driving results - 6.8L / 100 kms , which equates to 34 mpg (US), 42 mpg Imperial. That has been in cold winter temps with crappy winter blend fuel, and 70 mph speeds, 2020 Sport tech with 1000 miles. I expect it to get better in coming months, but then air conditioning may sap some fuel economy when it gets hot out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
+1 to above, never wait with car idling until blue light turns off, waist of money, time and environment, I just start driving slowly in my residential street and the light goes off whit tin minutes.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Zeroptzero, I wish my car would get down to 6.8L/100km on the highway, but even after continuous highway driving right after filling up at the station, it still sits @9-10L, and in the end, still yields -500km/tank. Numbers haven't changed regardless of spring/summer vs fall/winter weather, or even when we completely shut off a/c or heat.

Adam M., same here, no use idling for so long just to harm the environment, we just drive off slowly and ease into traffic. It is also garage parked, so there isn't any need to use the heater/defroster/wiper de-icer, and no ice or snow to scrap away to prolong the waste of fuel, if it was running that whole time.

I hate that much of the time driving has been spent on trying to reduce fuel consumption, instead of just driving and enjoying the car, because it is a great vehicle otherwise.

About how much mileage can you guys squeeze from a single tank?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Zeroptzero, I wish my car would get down to 6.8L/100km on the highway, but even after continuous highway driving right after filling up at the station, it still sits @9-10L, and in the end, still yields -500km/tank. Numbers haven't changed regardless of spring/summer vs fall/winter weather, or even when we completely shut off a/c or heat.

Adam M., same here, no use idling for so long just to harm the environment, we just drive off slowly and ease into traffic. It is also garage parked, so there isn't any need to use the heater/defroster/wiper de-icer, and no ice or snow to scrap away to prolong the waste of fuel, if it was running that whole time.

I hate that much of the time driving has been spent on trying to reduce fuel consumption, instead of just driving and enjoying the car, because it is a great vehicle otherwise.

About how much mileage can you guys squeeze from a single tank?
Well I can understand how some mileage can vary between drivers and vehicles. That sounds a bit excessive , those numbers are what I get in combined driving and city driving for the most part.

I was actually hoping my numbers would improve lol, so I will checking. I have done a number of highway drives since owning the vehicle and it got down to 6.7 on one recent trip as the temps are slowly inching upwards, I think the temps on that day were around 8 degrees C. Lately I get close to 4 hours of highway driving on a 1/2 tank, I haven't really gone through an entire tank while highway driving so I can't tell if there is some variation between the upper half of the tank and the lower half, but I know it gets some pretty good mileage for my driving conditions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My mileage is ridiculous lately, specially when it consist of short trips to neighborhood's stores in a city - like 370 km from a tank of super gas ( 91 octane ). This with temperatures below 0 C. It's much better when we go Toronto - Hamilton, lets say 440 km from a tank.
I thought about thermostat opening too fast, or perhaps injectors in need of cleaning and will try both possibilities.
Other than that the car works great and we like it v.much.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I had a chance to take a short trip to friend's place in a town about 20 minutes from my home, I was travelling along a smaller rural road with speed limit 90 km/hr (55 mph ). At those speeds fuel economy was 5.7 L/100 kms there and back , 40 minute drive in total. Temps were a bit higher today , about 5 degrees above 0 Celsius, still on winter blend fuel. That is approx. 41 mpg US. I realize the high numbers are due to low driving speed and light load - rpms well under 2000 rpms the entire way.

When driving 112 km/hr (70 mph) I am getting around 6.7Ll / 100 kms, around 34-35 mpg.

This is all highway driving, very little stop and go city driving. So far so good, I think it has potential to go up as temps increase and we get away from this crappy winter blend fuel.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Did my typical 4 hour highway drive today for work that I do once per week. On the trip home I got 5.7 L/100 kms , which is the best by far since I started using my Impreza on these trips, running 70 mph the entire way. Temps were much warmer today at 15 degress Celsius, last time it was -5 degrees and I was getting 6.8 L / 100 kms. Nice improvement. 5.7 L/100 kms is 41 mpg US, at 6.8 L/100 kms it was running 34 mpg US.

One other positive point was that it only cost me 20 bucks to fill up 3/4 of the tank, cheapest ever, especially for Canadian fuel costs. Super cheap fuel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yea, price of gas went down like a stone.
However living in a big city we nearly stopped using our car because our customers vanished or closed their operations for now. Gas mileage became non issue.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts