5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I’m pretty big into Subaru’s as I’m sure the rest of us are I’ve owned a 2015 hatch and a 2.5 rs and got the 2019 Impreza cvt when it came out. And since then it’s been notning but problems. The car had a bad strut right out of the gate at 5k miles the brakes are squeaking like crazy and the multiple recalls. I’ve had the radio replaced and just the other day the transmission was really Jerky now I’m hearing a awful creaking noise from the Front passenger side. Has anyone else had these issues I’m almost ready to give up on this car Subaru’s quality control is slipping

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
494 Posts
I'm sorry to hear you've had so many issues. It's hard to blame you for getting discouraged. I've been with the brand since the early 80's and have had a lot of Subaru's. I can't disagree that since Subaru has become much more popular it seems that more and more recalls have happened. I suppose it's to be expected, you sell more units there will be a higher number of issues. However, years ago when you looked up the recalls for Subaru it was a short list. My dad had three Brat's and each one went over 300K miles, back then they would rust apart before anything else went bad.

I suppose every brand will have a lemon, it's really how the company treats you when you get one I suppose. I've been fortunate in that I've never had a super major issue with my Subaru's. The only one that bothered me was my 2010 Legacy 3.6R had a slight front end shake that was common across the line. It was recognized with a TSB and they did all sorts of road balancing of the tires, replacing half shafts etc. that minimized it but never did go away 100%. Other than feel it didn't really effect the car and we sold it at 130K miles. Still you buy a new car you expect it to perform like a new car.

With my Impreza I haven't had anything other than a few minor recalls that have been taken care of by my dealer. I only have 7K miles on it though. I'm still holding my breath on the fuel pump recall, no word yet.

I hope you get it sorted out, my guess is you've already did this but call the Subaru 800 number and voice your concerns. If nothing else to get your issues logged in with headquarters in the event you have a lemon law case.

I do hope you get things sorted out though, I still think Subaru makes good product that is what I consider very safe which I really like.

·
Registered
2018 Hatch 5MT
116 Posts
You might have a lemon. The bad strut seems like bad luck. Squeaky brakes are usually a simple fix. The creaking noise could be a myriad of things. The radio and CVT are real issues w the Impreza. There's a class action on the radio and the CVT models have had their warranties extended. I have 54k miles and have avoided any major problems but boy the build quality is meh. If you're unhappy now in a 1 year old car, you should probably get something else.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had the bad strut on my 2019 but at least that can be fixed. I got it documented here:

Just completed my 6000 miles service and so far so good, other than chipped windshield.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a 19 with 18k miles and a little over a year on its belt. I have had zero issues even with noises. I get a constant 36mpg and at 5k when I do oil changes the oil is still clean and at The same point on the dip stick when I filled it. The cvt has been smooth.

This is my 5th Subaru.

·
Administrator
2017 Imp 5 door. Auto, Red.
1,991 Posts
I am not happy with all of the recalls my car has had, I believe around ten?

Subaru used to mean quality, I think that they are losing their way.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey guys I’m pretty big into Subaru’s as I’m sure the rest of us are I’ve owned a 2015 hatch and a 2.5 rs and got the 2019 Impreza cvt when it came out. And since then it’s been notning but problems. The car had a bad strut right out of the gate at 5k miles the brakes are squeaking like crazy and the multiple recalls. I’ve had the radio replaced and just the other day the transmission was really Jerky now I’m hearing a awful creaking noise from the Front passenger side. Has anyone else had these issues I’m almost ready to give up on this car Subaru’s quality control is slipping
Same, I've had all those and more and now my transmission is jolting like crazy.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm sorry to hear you've had so many issues. It's hard to blame you for getting discouraged. I've been with the brand since the early 80's and have had a lot of Subaru's. I can't disagree that since Subaru has become much more popular it seems that more and more recalls have happened. I suppose it's to be expected, you sell more units there will be a higher number of issues. However, years ago when you looked up the recalls for Subaru it was a short list. My dad had three Brat's and each one went over 300K miles, back then they would rust apart before anything else went bad.

I suppose every brand will have a lemon, it's really how the company treats you when you get one I suppose. I've been fortunate in that I've never had a super major issue with my Subaru's. The only one that bothered me was my 2010 Legacy 3.6R had a slight front end shake that was common across the line. It was recognized with a TSB and they did all sorts of road balancing of the tires, replacing half shafts etc. that minimized it but never did go away 100%. Other than feel it didn't really effect the car and we sold it at 130K miles. Still you buy a new car you expect it to perform like a new car.

With my Impreza I haven't had anything other than a few minor recalls that have been taken care of by my dealer. I only have 7K miles on it though. I'm still holding my breath on the fuel pump recall, no word yet.

I hope you get it sorted out, my guess is you've already did this but call the Subaru 800 number and voice your concerns. If nothing else to get your issues logged in with headquarters in the event you have a lemon law case.

I do hope you get things sorted out though, I still think Subaru makes good product that is what I consider very safe which I really like.
I don't think the popularity of Subarus or increase in sales is responsible for increase in recalls. You mention that you have had a good experience in the past, starting in the 80s. I think the reason for increase in recalls is the increasing complexity of modern cars because of use of new technologies, electronics, new features, etc. A supporting evidence is greater defects seen in newly refreshed models in the first year of introduction that reduce in the following years.

·
Registered
73 Posts
If you are still under warranty and that many things have happened, I would call a local Lemon Law attorney.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have the gawd awful creaking on passenger side. I at about 24k miles. It only does it when the temperature is above about 60 degrees. I am taking it in next week for that.

·
Registered
2018 5D Standard Automatic
18 Posts
I bought my 2018 at 29,000 miles, I've got no idea how many recalls the original owner took it in for but so far I haven't had any issues related to the car itself, though I've only put about 3000 miles on it. The CVT felt a bit rough when shifting into the last few gears that one time I tried taking it to 100mph but other than that i've been real happy with it. My brakes squeak a lot too but literally every car I've ever owned has done that (2001 Honda Accord, 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe, 2018 Subaru Impreza) I've come to assume it's because of the extreme stop-and-start conditions required by my job building up lots of brake dust.

I suppose we will see if my luck holds out but it sounds like you've won the lottery.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Funny, I have the squeaky passenger seat, too. It is really bad going around curves at about 45 mph or higher. Gave up on warranty for it. Mine is just out of warranty now (2017). I have a base Impreza and don't expect a lot - it is their cheapest car.

·
Registered
15 Posts

Two of our family's 3 Imprezas needed the recall. The recall takes about 1.5 hours. It is accessed by opening an access panel under the back seat. Mine went fine. My Parents not so good. After the recall fuel was leaking from the tank. Seems that the kit had a defective gasket. Second kit installed and now hoping that the gasoline smell dissipates soon. Watch for wet spots on the floor.

·
Administrator
764 Posts
Besides the annoying and consistent rattles on the driver side and passenger side and now above my head (unless I slide the cover to the moonroof back a few inches...weird!) the car has been good to me. I did have to get my radio replaced within 2 weeks of buying it. That was disappointing, but it's pretty much been fine ever since. If I drove it more I might have more to complain about, but for now all is well. Sorry about your troubles.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Besides the annoying and consistent rattles on the driver side and passenger side and now above my head (unless I slide the cover to the moonroof back a few inches...weird!) the car has been good to me. I did have to get my radio replaced within 2 weeks of buying it. That was disappointing, but it's pretty much been fine ever since. If I drove it more I might have more to complain about, but for now all is well. Sorry about your troubles.
Contact Subaru and let them know your dissapointment, they gave me a 7yr 100k gold plus warranty since I had my issues.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I reiterate the good advice given by Peaty and.a few others on this thread: Contact SOA and get your issues into their database. Never thought I would be involved in a buy back, but I was... In 14 months of chaos, the VW gurus proved not able to fix my Golf Sportwagen. Yeah, I know. We needed a small real wagon, not on stilts, and there are not many of those left, out there. It was our only foray away from Subaru, and it was a disaster... The VW was a driver's car - turbo, DSG transmission, etc. If only it had been reliable. Our current 2014, 2017, and 2019 Imprezas have been fine cars.

I understand what the sourcing of parts for technical products is like today, and if one looks carefully at gen 5 Subaru recalls, one sees the results of the difficulties in the process...

For what it is worth, I found that staying as polite as I could (and it was not easy at times), and contacting the powers-that-be with every single instance of trouble, were the keys to getting back every dollar we had used to purchase the VW vehicle. Unless I am mis-reading something, your woes seem to be of the type that are fixable. Nothing seems systemic, which was ours... I hope that is the case.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts