5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 Mazda CX-5 Sport
2,175 Posts
If I had half of the problems some of you are having I would trade my car in in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
378 Posts
If you are still under warranty and that many things have happened, I would call a local Lemon Law attorney.
In most states, a "Lemon Law" is specifically defined as a SINGLE problem which has not been resolved after several repair attempts.

The case of multiple DIFFERENT issues does not fall under most "Lemon Law" stipulations.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Just call Subaru and express your disapointment with your new car, tell them the least they can do is extend your warranty.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Got the report back on the gawd awful creaking noise coming from passenger side of car. It was the CV boot. That had "loosened" ( their term ), and was causing the noise.

·
ModFather
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
719 Posts
Got the report back on the gawd awful creaking noise coming from passenger side of car. It was the CV boot. That had "loosened" ( their term ), and was causing the noise.
Interesting, it's mostly rubber but I suppose the locking band could make the noise if it hits something. I've had a number of boots split, usually the passenger side since it's closer to the hot exhaust. I've also had the grease spin out from a loose band. Usually when the band gets loose the fist thing you notice is the smell of the grease. If the grease hits the exhaust there is an even worse smell. Did you get it back yet? Is the sound gone? I guess that's the important thing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had a creaking noise in my '17 Impreza Limited that I thought was coming from my passenger side, but it turned out to be the Eyesight camera plastic cover rubbing against the windshield. I figured that out by holding it tight to the windshield while I was driving (it was quiet when I held it - no more squeaks). So I told the dealer when I went in for an inspection (Pennsylvania has mandatory inspections yearly even with brand new cars which is such a scam!!!) and they told me they couldn't see anything loose. So the next time I went in I had shoved a slim water bottle cap in there and blamed it on my child (I have no kids). That deemed it a safety issue so they popped the cover off, took out that lid, and put it back nice and tight. Now it doesn't squeak at all and it's amazing! I'm not sure if this is the same squeak issue other people are having but I figured I would share my experience. Only other issue I had with my car was a loose USB port in the center console (bad connection - Apple CarPlay kept quitting out on me), and that was also fixed under warranty by the dealer.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I reiterate the good advice given by Peaty and.a few others on this thread: Contact SOA and get your issues into their database. Never thought I would be involved in a buy back, but I was... In 14 months of chaos, the VW gurus proved not able to fix my Golf Sportwagen. Yeah, I know. We needed a small real wagon, not on stilts, and there are not many of those left, out there. It was our only foray away from Subaru, and it was a disaster... The VW was a driver's car - turbo, DSG transmission, etc. If only it had been reliable. Our current 2014, 2017, and 2019 Imprezas have been fine cars.

I understand what the sourcing of parts for technical products is like today, and if one looks carefully at gen 5 Subaru recalls, one sees the results of the difficulties in the process...

For what it is worth, I found that staying as polite as I could (and it was not easy at times), and contacting the powers-that-be with every single instance of trouble, were the keys to getting back every dollar we had used to purchase the VW vehicle. Unless I am mis-reading something, your woes seem to be of the type that are fixable. Nothing seems systemic, which was ours... I hope that is the case.
VW isn't a Driver's car- its a mechanics car. :whistle:

·
Registered
68 Posts
My 2019 sportech(Canadian) was troubles free at 25000km. Build quality was bad, I have rear door weather strips fall off, center console bolt was stripped from factory when I try to undo it to run the USB wire to the space under a\c control.
But car do handle very beautifully, no brake noise of any kind. I wonder if that was caused by tire dressing as I never use those.
Good luck! Happy motoring

·
Registered
80 Posts
Interesting, it's mostly rubber but I suppose the locking band could make the noise if it hits something. I've had a number of boots split, usually the passenger side since it's closer to the hot exhaust. I've also had the grease spin out from a loose band. Usually when the band gets loose the fist thing you notice is the smell of the grease. If the grease hits the exhaust there is an even worse smell. Did you get it back yet? Is the sound gone? I guess that's the important thing.

Ok, squeaking started again after about a day. Took it back in, and they kept it overnight. They said that they took apart some of the suspension parts and re-tightened them ( !? ). Comforting. I used to sell auto parts, and I'm like you, I don't see how a CV boot would make the creaking noise. Got the car back, and no noise................for about a day again. Creaking has come back with a vengeance. Still only on passenger side. It's odd that it doesn't have to be on a bumpy road to make the noise. It does it just backing out of my garage. I think that it has something to do with the door personally, but it has gone away for a bit after I have had it in. Back to the shop. I will report again on this.

Side bar: They gave me a CrossTrek to drive, and I did NOT like that. The handling was like piloting a boat after driving the Sport.

·
Registered
146 Posts
.....Creaking has come back with a vengeance. Still only on passenger side. It's odd that it doesn't have to be on a bumpy road to make the noise. It does it just backing out of my garage.
Can you lay down next to the car and have someone jounce the car and try to find the noise? All of my previous subaru's developed a creaking sound from the rubber mounts for the sway bars. A little silicone spray in there makes it go away for a while. If it recurs you could unbolt the mount and put some silicone grease in there.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Contact Subaru directly and let them know about the problem, get them involved, have them schedule your warranty service with the dealership and refuse to pick up the car until the issue is resolved. Get corporate involved.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I am going to try what you said Skier Dave. Very busy at work right now. Just want to come home, eat and sleep. I'm not looking to get SOA involved yet.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Two of our family's 3 Imprezas needed the recall. The recall takes about 1.5 hours. It is accessed by opening an access panel under the back seat. Mine went fine. My Parents not so good. After the recall fuel was leaking from the tank. Seems that the kit had a defective gasket. Second kit installed and now hoping that the gasoline smell dissipates soon. Watch for wet spots on the floor.
Update July 29, 2020
Dealership still hasn't reimbursed for the tow to repair the leaking fuel pump and replace the battery that kept going dead.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The end result may have been self inflicted. Dealership asked if I had hit anything major. I actually hit a wicked pothole a while back that was hard enough to jar my teeth. They said that something caused damage ( slight ) to the strut. Why they didn't get this the first time seems to be a mystery. They installed a new strut and noise is gone. Starting to hear it on driver's side now. That is odd, because there was no noise there before. I will probably have to take it back in.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts