5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a test to see how well car washes remove salt from the underside of vehicles. And the results aren’t good. The sprayers on all of the car washes I tested were abysmal and only covered about 50% of the underside if that.

here’s a video I made with the go pro footage from underneath my car.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I guess I'm lucky, in that my house has the spigot for the garden hose inside my attached basement-level garage, so I'm able to at least spray my car down outside in the winter. I concentrate on spraying the underside usually at least weekly during the winter.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Use "spray it yourself" car-wash... in that way, you can spray 100% of the water underneath to get salt off.

BEWARE: Any car-wash which 'recycles' water will also be recycling the salt (there is no easy way to remove salt from water)

I prefer to go for a 30 minute drive during a pouring rainstorm. It does not cost any more than a car-wash and is FARRRR better at removing salt from underneath.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Only problem with self serve washes is white a low car it can be hard to get all the spots underneath. With bad angles.

while rainstorms are very good we don’t get them till springtime

·
Registered
2019 Base CVT + Eyesight + Fogs
603 Posts
I have a pressure washer and an undercarriage cleaning attachment, it is way more effective than the car wash!

That said, I have a bunch of fluid film down there from last winter is it even worthwhile to wash it?

Reactions: PwnCall

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Impreza cvt base sedan w//ES
234 Posts
that ryobi attachment looks like the way to go. i usually take my cars to my boss' house whenever he's ready to do his fluid film. he buys a big container and does both his trucks (he has a lift in his garage) and he lets some of us come over and spray our cars until he runs out of fluid film.

this past season i'm shocked we're all not dead. we took no PPE measures. lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts