5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
ModFather
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
1,293 Posts
Agreed, I have one in my car and my wife's, check around youtube there are a few good vids on them. Best of all the risk of damaging your car when you jump someone is eliminated. Plus it's tons easier to do, one of my wife's band members cars died in our driveway after a practice. It only took a few minutes to hook it up and get the car going again. The way they hook up is basically fool proof too, less risk of spark the way they work.

Reactions: longboy

·
Registered
123 Posts
Iv heard Subarus have an undersized battery as well, the OP mentioned "being parked alot more while on lock down" from my online sleuthing and personal experience if our cars are parked 4 days to a week likely it will be too low to crank.

Solution 1:
I put a small underhood booster/maintainer...

Solution 2:
I learned from the forum that if we hit our lock buttons x3 times it'll put the car into a lower power state for storage. Iv let the car sit 2 weeks in this state (prior to the mini charger) and it started up no problem afterward.

Glad it was sorted out with a better battery though, it may behave the same way if it's parked for a while...

·
ModFather
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
1,293 Posts
My kid at college called me last week. His Forester will sit for quite a while as he usually bikes or walks to class. He just had to jump the Forester. He had a friend give a hand. I went and sent him one of the Jump Boxes I have in the link above. It's a lot better to not have to worry about getting someone to help out. They suggest to charge them every 3 months but so far, every time I've done that, a few times now, they were always at 100%. Still better safe than sorry.

It may be time for a new battery before the winter hits.

·
Registered
142 Posts
My kid at college called me last week. His Forester will sit for quite a while as he usually bikes or walks to class. He just had to jump the Forester. He had a friend give a hand. I went and sent him one of the Jump Boxes I have in the link above. It's a lot better to not have to worry about getting someone to help out. They suggest to charge them every 3 months but so far, every time I've done

that, a few times now, they were always at 100%. Still better safe than sorry.

It may be time for a new battery before the winter hits.
Since I am currently working from home, I make it a point to drive my car every few days, letting a car sit isn't good. Usually a 15-30 minute drive is good.

·
Registered
2019 Impreza Premium Hatch CVT
226 Posts
Funny this post just got bumped...I'm planning a road trip in October (Colorado - Utah - Nevada - California - Arizona - New Mexico) and just ordered a jump box to have with me for my trip. Planning on taking it with me but then putting it in my daughter's Xterra after I get back. Then I'll order 2 more for my Subaru and Toyota.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Funny this post just got bumped...I'm planning a road trip in October (Colorado - Utah - Nevada - California - Arizona - New Mexico) and just ordered a jump box to have with me for my trip. Planning on taking it with me but then putting it in my daughter's Xterra after I get back. Then I'll order 2 more for my Subaru and Toyota.
Thats why the wife and I have roadside through progressive and also through Toyota and Subaru, I'll make the call and let them worry about it.

·
Registered
2019 Impreza Premium Hatch CVT
226 Posts
Thats why the wife and I have roadside through progressive and also through Toyota and Subaru, I'll make the call and let them worry about it.
I have roadside assistance as well, but if I can charge my car on my own without waiting for a tow truck I'll do that. Same goes for changing a tire.

One of the last times I had a dead battery I was camping and had NO cellphone signal. I was lucky to find another nearby camper to help, but that's not always the case.

·
Registered
83 Posts
There's a battery recall coming up. But you should always have a jump starter in the back of your car, it is really handy.

As far as types of batteries, I'm going to put an Optima in mine when it comes time.
What is this battery recall you speak of. Or were you not being serious :p

·
Registered
2019 Base CVT + Eyesight + Fogs
402 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: longboy
21 - 29 of 29 Posts