5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any issues with CarPlay where the music will cut out completely if you pick up the phone? Sometimes I need to pick my phone up for one thing or another, and it feels like 50% of the time, it will cut the music. The only solution I've found is to cycle through the Source button on the steering wheel, land back at CarPlay audio, and click play or next on the Spotify interface. It's super annoying because sometimes I might just brush the cable, or move the phone to a cup holder, and it will cut out.

Here are a few things I've tried...

• I had 2 year old iPhone 7, so I assumed it was an issue with that, but I got a new iPhone 7 under warranty, and the problem persisted.
  • I was using Amazon brand sturdy cables...so I switched to a cable I got with my PowerBeats Pro, which are an Apple product, and the problem persisted.
  • I have tried it with one other person's iPhone 7+, and while the issue wasn't AS persistent, it was still there.
  • I have cycled between both USB ports, and the problem persisted.
I haven't been able to tell if this is a more persistent issue when it's hot out and the phone heats up, but it happens enough that I'm just tired of it. I'm glad I found a workaround with the Source button, but I've had the car about a year now and it just seems like it shouldn't be a thing.

Anyone else dealing with this?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Has anyone had any issues with CarPlay where the music will cut out completely if you pick up the phone? Sometimes I need to pick my phone up for one thing or another, and it feels like 50% of the time, it will cut the music. The only solution I've found is to cycle through the Source button on the steering wheel, land back at CarPlay audio, and click play or next on the Spotify interface. It's super annoying because sometimes I might just brush the cable, or move the phone to a cup holder, and it will cut out.

Here are a few things I've tried...

• I had 2 year old iPhone 7, so I assumed it was an issue with that, but I got a new iPhone 7 under warranty, and the problem persisted.
  • I was using Amazon brand sturdy cables...so I switched to a cable I got with my PowerBeats Pro, which are an Apple product, and the problem persisted.
  • I have tried it with one other person's iPhone 7+, and while the issue wasn't AS persistent, it was still there.
  • I have cycled between both USB ports, and the problem persisted.
I haven't been able to tell if this is a more persistent issue when it's hot out and the phone heats up, but it happens enough that I'm just tired of it. I'm glad I found a workaround with the Source button, but I've had the car about a year now and it just seems like it shouldn't be a thing.

Anyone else dealing with this?
Both the wife and I bought new cars this last spring, Toyota for her and Subaru for me, on both vehicles Apple Carplay and Android Auto is buggy on both vehicles and both IPhone and Android phones, it's simply easier for us to use Bluetooth.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah the problem is just when I need it plugged in for Apple/Google Maps directions. I have to imagine it's the phone or cable somehow, I just can't imagine what would make it cut out like that.

·
Registered
2019 Impreza Premium Hatch CVT
148 Posts
I have similar issues on occasion when using CarPlay. I just chalk it up to either the cable itself, or my charging port on my phone being somewhat dirty since I keep my phone in my pocket and I work outdoors all day.

Pretty minimal issues if I keep the charging port on my phone lint-free.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think what longboy said might have some vein of truth, but I am also realizing that when my phone does this, it's usually pretty hot. So maybe it has something to do with the operating temperature of the phone and Spotify somehow?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts