5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I recently installed Sealight 9005 H11 to my car and when the car is in drive while daylight the lights aren’t stabilized. But when I have the lights on for nighttime they are fine. Any ideas what’s the problem? Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
'21 Sport Hatch CVT Ocean Blue Pearl
84 Posts
Hi I recently installed Sealight 9005 H11 to my car and when the car is in drive while daylight the lights aren’t stabilized. But when I have the lights on for nighttime they are fine. Any ideas what’s the problem? Thank you for your help.
Non-sport models use high beams as the DRL and the lower power running to the lights causes them to flicker.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Non-sport models use high beams as the DRL and the lower power running to the lights causes them to flicker.

Gotcha! I pulled the fuse to possibly stop it from happening but it still was acting up.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Just a warning if you live somewhere it snows. LED don't produce the heat that halogens do, so you may end up with ice build up on your headlights in the winter.

·
ModFather
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
1,270 Posts
Just a warning if you live somewhere it snows. LED don't produce the heat that halogens do, so you may end up with ice build up on your headlights in the winter.
These do, at least in theory. I have them in the hi and low beams (I have the sport) I'll know better this winter if they do in practice.

Product Circuit component Organism Font Automotive lighting

I understand pulling relay for the DRL's may prevent the flicker by eliminating the DRL's all together. Not sure I'd want to be without DRL's myself but to each his own. I have a sport so I can't test the theory.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have the limited trim and I've had no issues with ice or snow buildup. I can't speak for aftermarket bulbs, but at least for the stock Subaru LED headlights they have always generated enough heat to cause ice and snow buildup to just slide off. For an LED bulb to produce enough light to cast as a headlight that sucker is going to get hot.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Impreza cvt base sedan w//ES
177 Posts
On my daughter's base Impreza, I installed the Beamtech LEDs in the headlights and didn't get any flickering.
We did have an issue with ice build up last winter. I'm waiting for a sale to get the Morimoto 2strokes to put in her car.
I told her for now, run her high beams from time to time to melt snow. ;)

·
Registered
2.0i 5D 5MT Silver
50 Posts
Hmm, I always wipe off snow and ice before driving from the headlamps, are you get any build during drive?

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Impreza cvt base sedan w//ES
177 Posts
She drove home through a storm and there was build up when she got home. She knows to clean the headlights before starting off on her trips.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have the limited trim and I've had no issues with ice or snow buildup. I can't speak for aftermarket bulbs, but at least for the stock Subaru LED headlights they have always generated enough heat to cause ice and snow buildup to just slide off. For an LED bulb to produce enough light to cast as a headlight that sucker is going to get hot.
Aftermarket bulbs have their heatsinks outside the housing- that's what creates the issue.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hmm, I always wipe off snow and ice before driving from the headlamps, are you get any build during drive?
Icy rain, water from the road getting thrown up on the front etc..
Without the heat you normally get from stock halogens, you get build up.

·
Registered
153 Posts
These do, at least in theory. I have them in the hi and low beams (I have the sport) I'll know better this winter if they do in practice.

View attachment 26284

I understand pulling relay for the DRL's may prevent the flicker by eliminating the DRL's all together. Not sure I'd want to be without DRL's myself but to each his own. I have a sport so I can't test the theory.
I'm familiar with these, just most people 'upgrading' to LED don't spend the money and buy junk. Heck if you don't buy good ones, LEDs in a reflector housing is a downgrade.
But it looks good.

·
Registered
2.0i 5D 5MT Silver
50 Posts
Guess I'll see what happens in the winter. Worst comes to worst I'll pop the halogens back in during the few snowy months we get.

The beamtechs I got work great in the reflector housing, very good pattern. I can see better at night vs the stock halogens.

·
ModFather
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
1,270 Posts
I'm familiar with these, just most people 'upgrading' to LED don't spend the money and buy junk. Heck if you don't buy good ones, LEDs in a reflector housing is a downgrade.
But it looks good.

Agreed, I want to see well but it's very important to me that I don't blind oncoming traffic. I also don't like any hint of blue colour. I realize what I've installed wasn't cheap but it most well engineered things aren't. Over the years I've tried quite a few bulbs and sent them back right away. Between hot spots and the glare they produce I didn't even take some out on the road to test them. Over the past few years they have come out with some decent upgrades. I was running Diode Dynamic bulbs for a while but it does snow around here and I was getting it packed on the lens. I'm hoping the ones I have prevent that.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Aftermarket bulbs have their heatsinks outside the housing- that's what creates the issue.
I'm aware that they do, but the diode itself gets very hot and not all of that heat is directed behind it into the bulb housing and the heat sink does not soak up 100% of the heat. Having the heat sink built into the housing wouldn't matter at all since the entire thing is made out of plastic and would not transfer heat throughout the entire body of the housing, through the rubber sealant holding on the lens and then into the lens.
I just haven't seen this issue before on any of my LED driving lights including light bars

1 - 15 of 15 Posts