5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
i took mine out a while ago, added the nice K&N filter. seems to get a little more aggressive in the tone department. I was not able to unclip it per say like older models, I did have to use a knife and pry/cut it out.

·
Super Moderator
1,797 Posts
My 2018 didn't have any PZEV badging or any mention of it in the sticker.
Do I have one of these in my car, or is it PZEV specific?
Asking because I'm lazy.
I could be wrong but I believe that every Subie sold is PZEV.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I removed the charcoal filter a week ago, frustrated because after I hit about 30K milles I noticed my car was not at as responsive as it was when new. Tried everything, now I have 68K miles removed the charcoal filter and it definitely feels like the car I had purchased with only 8 miles on the odometer. I've been driving without it for a week now and it doesn't seem to stumble from a standing start like it used to. After I removed it I decided to try a little experiment with a blow dryer by blowing air through the filter, I literally put the filter in front of my face and could not feel any air coming through it with the blow dryer on high. If thats not a restriction in the intake I dont know what is .

·
Registered
422 Posts
Looks like they dropped the PZEV certs because it saved (Subaru) money and allowed them to cut the emissions warranty period. :unsure:

·
Registered
52 Posts
I removed the charcoal filter a week ago, frustrated because after I hit about 30K milles I noticed my car was not at as responsive as it was when new. Tried everything, now I have 68K miles removed the charcoal filter and it definitely feels like the car I had purchased with only 8 miles on the odometer. I've been driving without it for a week now and it doesn't seem to stumble from a standing start like it used to. After I removed it I decided to try a little experiment with a blow dryer by blowing air through the filter, I literally put the filter in front of my face and could not feel any air coming through it with the blow dryer on high. If thats not a restriction in the intake I dont know what is .
With that mileage you should run something like a seafoam treatment or subaru's engine maintenance kit SOA868V9341.

·
Registered
35 Posts
When the car is off, unburnt fuel vapors can escape from the engine through the air intake system. The activated carbon (charcoal) filter is in the air intake to absorb those vapors. It is required for the vehicle's emissions certifications whether it is a PZEV or not. Removing it won't do anything for performance since it is less restrictive than the replaceable air filter, but may void the emissions warranty and it may be illegal to remove since it is an emissions control device. (I am not a lawyer.)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Considering I live in Florida & no emissions it has no effect on me. PZEV is bs, it was created because of the strict emission controls in California and Subaru decided to put it in its newer vehicles across the country. Removing the charcoal filter might not have much affect on a new vehicle, but removing it when the car has alot of miles has definitely improved the performance for me. Like I said on mine it is restricting the air intake, there is no such thing as a lifetime filter.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Considering I live in Florida & no emissions it has no effect on me. PZEV is bs, it was created because of the strict emission controls in California and Subaru decided to put it in its newer vehicles across the country. Removing the charcoal filter might not have much affect on a new vehicle, but removing it when the car has alot of miles has definitely improved the performance for me. Like I said on mine it is restricting the air intake, there is no such thing as a lifetime filter.
i took mine out with like 12 miles on the car. it has been worth it to me.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts