1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Came across this replacement HU on Youtube:
And this one:

Here's the company website:

I was just curious about the cost, installation, etc., so I emailed the company.
The head unit cost $490 including shipping to the US for one unit. It is supposedly plug and play with all the proper harnesses.

I just replaced my 6.5" HK HU with the 8" version, so I'm not about to drop even more money.
I do like the fact that it's custom molded to fit within our dash, and it integrates the wiring seamlessly (at least that's what they told me).

Thoughts?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Oh man, if only I had the dough. I'm very tempted to get it as being the only one to and then give you guys the deal about it with a review. The navigation seems Abit choppy on the design though from what I see.

I'll have to think about it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The sales person said it is has a 12-month warranty and they do constant updates for software improvement.
With that said, it is a company in Shenzhen, China... and you have to deal directly through them.
I don't see that model sold anywhere else. I also don't see any comparable model that fits our Imprezas that nicely.

·
Registered
163 Posts
The sales person said it is has a 12-month warranty and they do constant updates for software improvement.
With that said, it is a company in Shenzhen, China... and you have to deal directly through them.
I don't see that model sold anywhere else. I also don't see any comparable model that fits our Imprezas that nicely.
So there's most likely issues with translation. But that isn't to say someone couldn't just patent the design in the USA and build off it. Or partner with them to get it here.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
So there's most likely issues with translation. But that isn't to say someone couldn't just patent the design in the USA and build off it. Or partner with them to get it here.

The sales guy wrote sufficiently, so no real issue there.
My only issue would be with the wiring harnesses. They claim that it is plug and play, including the backup camera functionality. I've wired aftermarket head units in the past, so I'm not that terrified of the wiring task.
If the harness is ready to go, it's a pretty easy swap job.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
This is some correspondence after I confirmed my model car and asked about the pricing:

Thanks for mailing me back and photos of the car dashboard.
According to information we collected, if your car has no built-in parking sensors, the system would support your car, even with reverse camera.
The solution that supports the factory parking sensors is under developing, could be formally released soon.
While for the price, since it's a private molding product, we invest a lot in developing the molding, so I'm afraid we have to keep the offer.
If any else you're interested to know, please be free to let us know.
It's plug and play, come with all the wiring harness, don't worry.
It also has built in Bluetooth for hands free call and music streaming, which is a standard feature of the unit.
Thanks & regards,
Michael Yih
Senior Marketing Manager
Astral Electronics Technology Co., ltd.
Building A, Yicheng Industrial Park, Tiegang, Xixiang, Baoan, Shenzhen 518101, China
Tel&Fax: +86 755 27790830
Mob: +86 132 67089336
Eml: [email protected]

·
Registered
163 Posts
This is some correspondence after I confirmed my model car and asked about the pricing:

Thanks for mailing me back and photos of the car dashboard.
According to information we collected, if your car has no built-in parking sensors, the system would support your car, even with reverse camera.
The solution that supports the factory parking sensors is under developing, could be formally released soon.
While for the price, since it's a private molding product, we invest a lot in developing the molding, so I'm afraid we have to keep the offer.
If any else you're interested to know, please be free to let us know.
It's plug and play, come with all the wiring harness, don't worry.
It also has built in Bluetooth for hands free call and music streaming, which is a standard feature of the unit.
Thanks & regards,
Michael Yih
Senior Marketing Manager
Astral Electronics Technology Co., ltd.
Building A, Yicheng Industrial Park, Tiegang, Xixiang, Baoan, Shenzhen 518101, China
Tel&Fax: +86 755 27790830
Mob: +86 132 67089336
Eml: [email protected]
I guess the only real question would be as if it would support Android auto and Apple carplay.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess the only real question would be as if it would support Android auto and Apple carplay.

It's running Android 8 or 9.0! You can download anything off the play store through the HU, including Android Auto.
Now, why you would want to use AA with this unit seems strange. The whole purpose of Android HUs is that they're running Android with a clean user interface for maps, music, etc.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I like the concept, but the software is definitely clunky as all hell. New Harman unit in the Legacy/Outback would be much better if it would fit. Plus I didn't really see any Apple CarPlay integration, which I know is possible with Android-based head units. (see Honda) Then again, I wouldn't really want CarPlay running on such a slow over-burdened android unit. For one in my life, I'll stick with my Harman :LOL:

·
Registered
11 Posts
You can download anything off the play store through the HU, including Android Auto.
google have removed the full android auto from the store though... i think they've now included a temporary replacement. but its soon only going to be available by plugging your phone into a car head unit.

it looks like maybe their smaller version includes the ability to use android auto?

·
Registered
104 Posts

Looks as though it does if you get this nifty dongle.

@Jojo613 I see a few benefits of having this feature even on an Android unit.
1. Internet connection for audio streaming. Yes you could connect to a hotspot on your phone, but that's just one extra step. Android auto/Apple Carplay would give more features than just controlling through Bluetooth also. I've also seen a wireless Carplay dongle available for Android head units.
2. For guests in your car so they do not have to mess with your phone or connect to Bluetooth.
3. Resale of the car. For the next owner who might not like the idea of loosing features.
4. If someone borrows your car (friend, spouse etc.) They can just plug in and not have to mess with your stuff too much.
5. Seamless listening if you are listening to a podcast or audiobook.

I have been seriously looking at this unit the last few weeks and am super tempted to bite the bullet. (2018 Limited) I just did a full aftermarket sound system upgrade including speakers, sub and 2 amplifiers. It's hooked up to an Audiocontrol LOC right now, but I want a head unit with native low level outputs.
If I'm reading the description correctly it has a 4G sim slot. So that could be an option to avoid having to tether with your phone every time you go somewhere.
I found a few versions (2 or 3) of this head unit on AliExpress. The lowest spec (2gb ram dual core 32gb storage Android 6.0) is around $250 and the highest end one (4gb ram octa core 64gb storage Android 8.1 is $570. With a bunch of options in between.
Someone talk me out of buying this, but if I do you'll all hear about it.

·
Administrator
2017 Imp 5 door. Auto, Red.
1,842 Posts
Every single electronic item I have ever purchased from China has had issues with it, that would be a big no for me.

·
Registered
42 Posts
You all might want to do more research on these. Not new, been around and I've read not so great reviews from people that wasted money on them.

As mentioned, clunky, slow interfaces, horrible support. Sweet 12 month warranty- have you checked what shipping it back would cost you?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I've also seen reviews of people who have had these running strong for a couple years. So I guess it could be a gamble, but what's life without risks? There is also a version that looks OEM but runs Android.

This one happens to ship from the US, so returns could possibly be easier.
I might be willing to risk it for the added functionality. Adding a normal double din style unit won't really accomplish what I'm after and IMO doesn't look that great either. Ill update if I end up ordering one or the other. And will report back if it breaks or if I have any major issues.
I appreciate the opinions, but I have a habit of enjoying being a test mule.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts