5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

Clicking sound?

6K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Jojo613 
#1 ·
Hey all!

Anyone experience a clicking sound when rolling over speed bumps? I hear a distinct clicking sound from the driver’s side suspension area when rolling over speed bumps even at a slower speed.

I have a 2019 5dr Impreza Touring.

Thanks!

#2 ·
I have the same issue but coming from the passenger side. Dealer wouldn't let me test drive with the tech and the tech couldn't hear anything (I don't think this tech even went over a speed bump like I requested). Let me know if you figure out what it is as I am really annoyed/frustrated by this.

#3 ·
I had a creaking sound from my passenger side as well, which happened mostly when driving over speed bumps at low speed. It would creak as the tires rolled off the speedbump, while the strut was unloading... I initially assumed bushings (had pointed this out in addition to the rusty strut top TSB).

I was able to drive a tech around until we found a speedbump, and thankfully we were able to hear creaks. On the workorder they had to test drive a few times to hear again, initially thinking the rallyarmors were the culprit...

Turns out the dust boot/ strut boot rubber baffled piece was getting caught up somewhere resulting in the sound... they insisted it wasnt torn (compromising the shock) but just rubbing somewhere. This required pulling the strut and replacing the boot (under warranty), also got an alignment which helped the wandering feeling others have reported on the freeway (which I was used to at this point)... perhaps they've heard our cries and alignment specs are now better (although less toe in sure was snappy...)

Steve - I brought this creak up during my 6K (now at 12) and they were unable to hear it then (just tech testing), keep pushing for the ride along.

#5 ·
I have the same issue which I noticed at in the first 200 miles. It's most obvious when going in and out of my drive way (small curb) and over speed bumps. The car has less than a 1,000 miles on it, but I'm reluctant to take it the dealer. I don't want to hear "could not be replicated" when it happens every time, and it's pretty inconvenient. It's my wife's car and she probably would never notice it, but I am very sensitive to improper noises in a new car I just paid for. This definitely sounds like the source of my noise so I can narrow it down.

#6 ·
Does anyone know if the front strut dust boot should be retained by the rubber tabs on the lower spring insulator? I tried jacking each side up and dropping it to recreate the click, but it doesn't happen. It definitely is only under compression and not extension. I can hear it loud when my wife pulls in the driveway, but can't replicate it by pushing down on the fender or jacking/dropping. I intend to take the car to the local dealer for its first inspection once we get the plate for it (out of state purchase).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.