5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

Clock set to "auto"; did not update to Standard Time

48K views 32 replies 17 participants last post by  grf21a 
#1 ·
When I first got my 2017 Impreza, I used "Settings" in the head unit to tell the unit to automatically get its time from my phone, and it did.

This morning, my phone adjusted itself from Daylight Savings Time to Standard Time. However, despite two starts today with the phone connected via Bluetooth, with one drive lasting over 20 minutes (& also connected via USB/Android Auto), the displayed time in the "Info bar" did not reset from Daylight Savings Time to Standard Time.

Note that the Subaru firmware update intervened between the above two events.

I can of course set the time to "Manual" update, then update the time, and then reset the setting to "Auto" update. However, I'm wondering if anyone else saw this.

#2 ·
Yes, another reason why I hate DST!! Ran through the menu, saw Date and Time was grayed out... (I'm thinking how the heck do I change the time?)
Oh...Vehicle settings on the Display. Changed to manual instead of Auto.

I'm thinking the "Time" would probably set itself if XM satellite was owned. Since I refuse to pay for Radio, I guess I don't get automatic time either.

#3 ·
The time is supposed to set itself w/ "Auto", from the phone's Bluetooth connection (if the head unit does not have a GPS).

#7 ·
Same - wife reported no change in clock this morning. It was even plugged in directly.

Maybe it's more of a one-time sync function? As in, it syncs when you set the setting only?

#10 ·
Looked at the owners manual. The it reads to me is if you have the nav it will auto update. Base cars get the buttons. My Sport has the HK upgrade/ non nav. For a manual change it has to be done via your smartphone. What a bunch of BS for a time change!

#11 ·
Owners Manual, p 3-64

Looked at the owners manual.
OK:

Clock setting with automatically
To set the clock automatically, the “Auto” mode must be selected in the clock adjustment setting preparation procedure.
>> Models with navigation system
The clock will be set automatically where a GPS signal is available.
>> Models without navigation system
The clock will be set and adjusted automatically when a smartphone is connected via Bluetooth® for transferring phonebook data.
  1. Register the smartphone to the audio system. For details, refer to “Bluetooth SETTINGS” in the supplemental Owner’s Manual for the audio/navigation system.
  2. Transfer phonebook data to the system. For details, refer to “Bluetooth SETTINGS” in the supplemental Owner’s Manual for the audio/navigation system. The clock will be adjusted automatically.

#18 ·
I gave up on Auto and changed it manually. FWIW - I have the 8" non-navi non-HK system. While in the menu where you select auto/manual, I noticed the description on that option made mention of getting the time from satellites which implies that you need nav. I'm now thinking it was an oversight - it shouldn't be available for the infotainment config of my model.

#21 ·
So the wife texts me this morning that the clock is back on DST after I set it last night. WTF? Maybe I'm going mad and didn't really set it? Will do again tonight to see if auto is working but correcting to DST rather than standard.

#22 ·
When I bought my Impreza I turned the clock to manual because it was way off. With auto turned on it was hours off of the actual time. But changing the time is so easy that it doesn't bother me. I just hit the plus/minus buttons and I'm done. The only time auto might be convenient is when driving through different time zones, but as long as I have my phone hooked up the digital screen has the time also. If I am going to be driving that far I will definitely have my phone plugged in so I can use CarPlay. I don't know if it matters, but I have the Premium trim.

#25 ·
I have spent a significant amount of time trying to get around having to toggle through two display menus twice a year just to reset DST. My conclusion, after trying all the things I have read on several forums and also watching several YouTube videos, is the following. If you have the Nav package you can set the clock once in manual and then switch it to Automatic and it should pick up the time from the satellite. If you do NOT have the Nav package installed, as I do not, then the system does NOT, in fact, sync to the iphone when CarPlay is used or just when the phone is connected via Bluetooth, as some suggest in this thread. You are stuck leaving the clock set in Manual (this is what my dealer suggested) and you have to bushwhack through two screens and several menus twice a year just to set the clock when DST changes. Bad design!

#26 ·
DST change automatic from Android Bluetooth here

See signature for car details.

#27 · (Edited)
I can confirm that auto did not work for iPhone on the prior DST change. I recently got an android so have to try it out again based on Dean's feedback.

Edit: Confirmed. I set it to back to Auto from Manual, connected my android phone via bluetooth and within 60 seconds the clock updated.

#29 · (Edited)
I couldn't get mine to work (premium trim, 6.5" dsiplay.) Android phone. Had to switch to manual. I swear it worked ok last year, spring and fall.

And this is hilarious... the clock went back to the old, wrong time when I changed the settings back to Auto. So I have to leave it on manual forever, I guess.

#31 ·
I noticed much of what is talked about in this thread, yesterday my son noticed that my car had not reset the clock due to daylight savings (I hadn't even noticed it). The clock was set to automatic and hadn't reset. I went into the settings and hit the "manual" and no way to set it even popped up. LOL

Anyway, when I put it back to "auto" it set itself to the proper time.

#32 ·
No Nav Unit = Manual clock change for DST

You must have the nav unit option. I don't have it and the only way to change the clock and make the clock stay changed is to leave it in Manual and set the time on the upper display manually. Auto causes the clock to move back an hour. Highly irritating that they couldn't have just put a DST option in the clock menu or setting menu somewhere!
Mine is a 2017 Impreza Sport.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.