5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love that I can close the windows for some period after turning off the car engine. My old VW had this as well.
However, I hate that the moonroof doesn't seem to follow the same paradigm. Is this just a major oversight? I have a mental model of "close glass after car off" which is now broken.

To make matters even worse, while the Homelink rearview mirror is pretty cool, it turns off while the car is off. This means that I have to start closing the garage door while the car is still running, which is definitely less than ideal.

These seem like pretty major oversights in user stories when developing the car.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Have the same issue with the Homelink option. Having to have the car "on" to work the garage door opener - how did that get through beta testing? Somebody get asphyxiated in the garage before they could report it? Should be always live, just like your portable opener. I'd recommend pass on this $342 option unless you can think of some good reason or a fix.

Hey, how about the USB port OFF and the Homelink ON when the key is out!!!!

·
Registered
229 Posts
It might help to open a case with Subaru about this, it's one of the only ways we can get a real answer and even a fix some time down the road.
The more people complaining about it the higher up some priority list it gets.

If you do send something in keep us posted on what happens.

Have you spoke to your dealer about it?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I plan on compiling a big list of complaints/issues and submitting it formally to Subaru/my dealer. I've only driven the car like 2x since I brought it home. I don't use it to commute.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I sent an e-mail to Subaru about the Homelink issue, siting it as a potential major safety issue.
Response:
...I am documenting this feedback in our database as we do keep track and monitor this information for any trends or quality issues. At this time, I would like for you to call the Service department and schedule an appointment so a technician can evaluate your vehicle for these concerns. ...
I already gave a list of these concerns to the Dealer. Unsurprisingly, its not like the Dealer is going to start editing source code and doing software patches or re-wiring my vehicle so that Homelink gets power when entering/leaving the vehicle.

I suggest making a vehicle complaint about this if it bothers you so they can start tallying it up.

·
Registered
308 Posts
That's the thing, everyone needs to send these complaints in so they can rack up enough to actually do something about it. If no one actually submits complaints, nothing will get done as they won't see it as "common enough"

·
Registered
157 Posts
Homelink issue an old old one

Mentioned the Homelink being off with the car off to my neighbor who had until recently a Tribecca of a 10 year old or so vintage. His car was wired like this and he brought up the issue with the dealer. So it's been a Subaru "feature" for a while. Argument presented by the dealer was to prevent a bad guy entering through your garage if you have parked outside. Guess it makes sense for back then but now we have that delay circuit that's live till you open the door.

I liked the attached (and lighted button) Homelink because of a story about a stolen "portable" opener being used along with a stolen car registration card to break in a home. No big deal and I'm adjusting to it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Argument presented by the dealer was to prevent a bad guy entering through your garage if you have parked outside. Guess it makes sense for back then but now we have that delay circuit that's live till you open the door.
Definitely makes sense. But I have to agree with your argument. If the headunit is able to stay on until the door opens, then you would then a similar accessory wire could have been led to the mirror as well.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Right, exactly. I guess this is more secure than a standard remote, but it is also not as convenient as one. It seems like you could have both the extra security and convenience, if done properly.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Right, exactly. I guess this is more secure than a standard remote, but it is also not as convenient as one. It seems like you could have both the extra security and convenience, if done properly.
I have to agree.

Funny enough, we keep the remote in the car anyway. For those "damnit, I forgot to leave the key in the ignition to open the gate" moments.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For what its worth, I do think Homelink works if the car is in accessory mode, so you don't have to fully re-start the car. If you have push-button start, just hold the button down longer, and it won't start the engine. I still haven't quite figured out how to use the single button to get to every ignition phase. Its like one of those old Nokia 3310 phones where the one button does EVERYTHING.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Easy Fix / Workaround

I too find it annoying you can operate the Homelink once the car is off, lots of cars do this.

But found a tolerable workaround, as I too want to shut the door as soon as the car is in
the garage and off.

With Car now off, Hit the "Push to Start" once with no foot on peddle and the Homelink will operate as
car is off, but in accessory mode (not running). Garage door closes, hit it one more time as then in
full accessory mode, then again and car and everything is off. No foot on brake, no car start. Quick
and easy.

Not perfect, but I can live with it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Bit of a hassle, but so long as it works. Luckily, my garage has a button beside the door leading into the house to close it so I don't have to do t via homelink.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yes. This annoys me like hell. I understand that "cheap" model doesn't have everything - but this missing feature doesn't cost anything - just proper coding (preceded by functional specification).
There are circuits in the car which remain on for some time (some of them until you open the door after switching the engine off - that would be a reasonable compromise.)
Windows and Radio are following such pattern.
Rewiring HomeLink to the radio circuit is on my list. The power draw is negligible - so no harm done.
With sunroof one has to pay more attention to the current rating of the circuit so I may live with this. Doesn't annoy me as much as the HomeLink. Will post how once I do it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts