5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across this really interesting background and review of the new Impreza.

The first 15 minutes of the video are on the Impreza.

If you're a geek like me, you will love this.

One thing I just learned from the video... the Impreza has standard hood-mounted airbags that deploy if a pedestrian hits your car and goes flying towards the windshield! Who knew!?!

I also like the comparison to the Mazda 3 that they talk about. I've often wondered how the two cars stack up since they look so similar.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well I must be a geek, cause I thought that was a great video too.

But wait....external hood mounted windshield airbag? :surprise: No. That can't be right. Yes I saw the images in the video and heard them say that "all Imprezas will have it".....but no, can't be. Dammit now I have to go look tomorrow morning.

This might be another case of Subaru having an amazing feature and under advertising it, like when Eyesight first came out.

Hmm...I really hope this is true. It could also protect passengers if you hit a deer / moose. I'm sure it wouldn't stop it, but it might be enough to deflect it upward, instead of having the deer / moose come straight through your windshield.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just went through the owner's manual and there was no mention of the hood airbags.
I don't think the US model has this feature.

·
Administrator
785 Posts
Right, because people don't his pedestrians in the US haha. This is the first I'm seeing/hearing this.

Reactions: Jojo613

·
Registered
157 Posts
Great post

Thanks. Great post. A real 4th of July present!

I want a model kit / magazine of the gen 3 Mazda MX5 Miata from later in the video. I'll go for a 17 Impreza too but I did actually see the model Miata in the video.

I'd have bought an Impreza with the pedestrian airbag had that been an option for US buyers. I wound up on a guy's hood from inside a crosswalk in downtown Pittsburgh one day many years ago - when I could still jump a little. He's making a right hand turn on red while looking to the left for vehicle traffic but not looking where he intends to go! Cabby behind him gave me complements for fast reactions as I blubbered and cussed.

I'm thinking it would also be of benefit for a front seat occupant when encountering the herds of western PA whitetail deer that run out from the bushes in front of you. Had one just last month jump right over my hood as I started up. Google "deer through windshield" if you have a strong stomach.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
730 Posts
The Impreza definitely does not have a hood airbag. I did a google search & the only thing I could find was Volvo V40 has this feature. Check out the video

·
Registered
730 Posts
Impreza pedestrian airbag is a Japan only option. Here's a mention in a press release https://www.subaru.com.au/news/new-gen-subaru-xv-and-impreza-win-jncap-grand-prix-award. I read when Australian journos went to Japan to look at the new model Subaru Australia did not consider bringing it to Australia. Here's the Japanese video of the tech.
I guess in Japan there's a serious need for this feature but I wonder how much the Impreza would cost in USD with this feature?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts