5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm tempted to trade my 2017 impreza sport in for a new 2022 wrx in black I think it looks good and hides the black plastic trim well. My car is manual and has 25k miles, I paid 18k for it at start of pandemic with 18k miles. Could I get close to 20 as a trade in? The new wrx is priced online at 31k and some change for base model. What do? How can I do a trade in without dealer screwing me over, please offer any advice before I go run some numbers at dealer this weekend. I fear they might offer me like 15k at most, is that probably going to happen? I'm in California (bay area) there's like 5 dealers within driving distance.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'd suggest seeing what Carvana and Vroom. They'll give you more than the dealer and it'll make the deal for the WRX more straightforward. The only drawback I can see is that (at least in WI, where I am) you'd pay sales tax on the entire price of the new car, whereas if you trade in a car, you only pay sales tax on the difference. But at least if you get a quote from Carvana and Vroom you'll know what your car's market price is. And, it's super easy; all you need is the VIN and answer a few questions and you'll have your number in minutes. The process is simple and painless if you decide to sell to them. I sold a second car to Vroom a year ago, and it was smooth as silk.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd suggest seeing what Carvana and Vroom. They'll give you more than the dealer and it'll make the deal for the WRX more straightforward. The only drawback I can see is that (at least in WI, where I am) you'd pay sales tax on the entire price of the new car, whereas if you trade in a car, you only pay sales tax on the difference. But at least if you get a quote from Carvana and Vroom you'll know what your car's market price is. And, it's super easy; all you need is the VIN and answer a few questions and you'll have your number in minutes. The process is simple and painless if you decide to sell to them. I sold a second car to Vroom a year ago, and it was smooth as silk.
Thanks for quick response but I think carvana would lowball me way more than dealer but maybe I'm wrong and they both do. I've seen a few clickbait videos on youtube where some people take relatively new cars that are clean and get ridiculously low offers. Do you think I'm dreaming if I'm expecting close to 20k?

·
Registered
19 Sport Hatch MT
183 Posts
I test drove the 22 wrx and man does it feels good to drive. The suspension felt softer than previous gen but more planted.
Was tempted to do the same because Carmax offered me $21k for my ‘19 sport with 50k mi on it about a month ago.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Why sit there and assume so much?
Get offers from Vroom, Carvana and Carmax.
Then when you go into the dealer you have actual numbers not assumptions.

When I helped my mom buy her Forester, we had a Carmax offer in hand. When negotiting, they asked what the carmax offer was, I told them I wanted to hear their number first.
They beat carmax offer by $500. If I had told them first, they would have come back lower.

It's all about maintaining as much of the upper hand as you can.

As mentioned, sales tax comes into play. Look up the laws in CA. If you pay tax on the sale price minus trade in, you need to factor that into your offers.

If you get 1k more selling to an outside party vs the dealer, but paying sales tax on the full price increases taxes by 1200, then you lose money in the end.

Don't let them rush and make sure you run the numbers.

·
Registered
211 Posts
You can get a good idea of what the dealer would offer for trade in by entering your VIN here:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Two dealers offered 16k, to my shock carmax offered 19k. Kinda made me gasp when dealer told me these new wrx's are 34k+ out the door for base models. Think I'll be keeping my car, for now.

·
Registered
19 Sport Hatch MT
183 Posts
Two dealers offered 16k, to my shock carmax offered 19k. Kinda made me gasp when dealer told me these new wrx's are 34k+ out the door for base models. Think I'll be keeping my car, for now.

That is a solid financial decision. If you decide to do the trade later our cars might be worth less because used car values are coming down, but new car prices should be coming down too as supply catches up. It's difficult to make deals with dealerships right now.

Reactions: nowiecoche

·
Registered
90 Posts
As much as I respect the craft Subaru has done to the new WRX a great car to drive, paying very very close to twice the amount of the Impreza sport hatch just to get a boosted, beefier turbochrrrrged engine and a refined suspension tuning doesn’t work for me. (Fuel economy suffers too. >$34k and bye 29 mpg)

I also happen to love the Impreza sport’s center display set than the 2022 WRX’s as well so yeah, not working for me.

·
Registered
2022 Subaru Impreza Sport CVT
5 Posts

Wow, I made out like a bandit to get into my 2022 Sport hatch. I traded in my '21 Crosstrek with 25k miles (purchased Dec 2020) for almost as much as the Sport cost. My car payment is slightly higher for the almost the same period (46 months left on the Crosstrek, transferred to 48 moths on the Impreza) and same very low interest rate. I'm surprised they only offered 19k for your Sport

1 - 10 of 10 Posts