5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Registered
2019 Base CVT + Eyesight + Fogs
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Speedometer Car Gauge Trip computer Automotive design

Just want to brag about my MPG. I'm driving consistently with reported 36.4 mpg for some months now. Typical trip is 20-30 miles, get on the freeway through city, get off freeway drive through city to destination. This is with a few extra hundred pounds from hitch, kilmat, bull guard, and other random crap as well as anti-aero addons such as mudflaps and ssd roof rails.

Having developed a familiarity with the cvt computer I've found certain actions to be mpg inefficient and avoid them altogether. An example would be trying to overtake someone up a hill, with 152hp, a fail in every regard. Better wait for the downhill and do it at 40mpg. Similarly there are speeds and inclines and rmp which the computer likes and is efficient at, and others that it is inefficient at. I consider and act upon these as I drive as well as making other maneuvers, such as not accelerating at red lights and not hitting my brakes on the freeway (you can just let go of the gas!).

Lastly, I've been filling up with 91 octane since filing a lawsuit against SOA for falsifying their octane data (which we are settling at $4500). Filling with 91 allows me to ride at lower RPMs in suburban streets with low speed limits without triggering a horrific pinging noise that would occur with 87/89.

And, finally, on every fill-up I add MMO at 2oz/5Gal or TCW-3 at 1oz/5Gal which give about a 5% overall mpg increase. You can find more on using TCW-3 here. On another subject, the MMO used to be $8 and TCW-3 used to be $14 less than a year ago.

· Registered
2019 Impreza Premium Hatch CVT
330 Posts
That's really impressive! I've logged 33.79mpg (calculated over 80k miles) on my Impreza.

Like BruceP said, I also get drops every winter with the winter blend of fuel. The red dips in the graph below are the winters and the peaks in the red line are the summers. My best tank was Oct 2020 with 43.73mpg!

Product Organism World Font Line

· Registered
354 Posts
I wanna give you all the finger but I don't want to be banned! 😉 The only time I got really good mpg was when I went to and from DC. Mostly highway with a can of Berryman's B12. Right now my computer is reading between 22 and 23.

· Registered
804 Posts
I have found that my MPG display shows 1.5 MPG higher than what I actually get.
Yup - that is about right.

I believe the accuracy can be tweaked +/- 5 using "dealer mode" to dial in. However, I really just look for CONSISTENCY so I can monitor the health of my vehicle.

For example.... if my average starts dropping, I know there is something wrong (like dragging brakes) which needs attention.

· Registered
414 Posts
Damn. I work with a spread sheet since 2017
Total run out: 60K miles, 262 fill ups = 21.8 MPG (best MPG was 31.8) [2034 gallons = $5919] NY prices mixed octanes.

2022 so far:
36 fill ups = 24.8 MPG (best MPG 30.8) [304 gallons = $1373] NY prices for 93 premium

I found my MPG was 2-3MPG higher using the 87 octane around town than 93. Despite the issues over time 87 will create.

I can see driving highway to maximize MPG, but since this is complete town driving, I'm not complaining.

The last time I saw 43 MPG was my wifes Yaris iA. That gets filled up twice a month. lol.

· Registered
334 Posts
View attachment 29211

Just want to brag about my MPG. I'm driving consistently with reported 36.4 mpg for some months now. Typical trip is 20-30 miles, get on the freeway through city, get off freeway drive through city to destination. This is with a few extra hundred pounds from hitch, kilmat, bull guard, and other random crap as well as anti-aero addons such as mudflaps and ssd roof rails.

Having developed a familiarity with the cvt computer I've found certain actions to be mpg inefficient and avoid them altogether. An example would be trying to overtake someone up a hill, with 152hp, a fail in every regard. Better wait for the downhill and do it at 40mpg. Similarly there are speeds and inclines and rmp which the computer likes and is efficient at, and others that it is inefficient at. I consider and act upon these as I drive as well as making other maneuvers, such as not accelerating at red lights and not hitting my brakes on the freeway (you can just let go of the gas!).

Lastly, I've been filling up with 91 octane since filing a lawsuit against SOA for falsifying their octane data (which we are settling at $4500). Filling with 91 allows me to ride at lower RPMs in suburban streets with low speed limits without triggering a horrific pinging noise that would occur with 87/89.

And, finally, on every fill-up I add MMO at 2oz/5Gal or TCW-3 at 1oz/5Gal which give about a 5% overall mpg increase. You can find more on using TCW-3 here. On another subject, the MMO used to be $8 and TCW-3 used to be $14 less than a year ago.
Car Personal luxury car Gauge Auto part Speedometer

This is what happens when you run 29in tires. I get about 200 miles to a tank. At least gas has gotten cheaper for now. 😂

· Registered
2022 Sport 5-Door
404 Posts
I've been getting 23.4 mpg, though my driving has changed from mostly highway to nearly city exclusive since I started working from home. And our city, whilst not near San Francisco level of hills, has a decent number of hills. Though I guess most people consider my state(s) flat...

My Isuzu with 29" factory wheels/tires gets about 15mpg average. Fuel gauge is broken on it so I have never been able to calculate exact highway/city mileage.

Miata gets like 150 miles per 3/4 tank and has an issue running lean/rich plus a headgasket leak so suffice to say she's out for the count until fixed.

· ModFather
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
1,747 Posts
I got gas yesterday and it was a good day for me for MPG's I'm usually seeing 26 with combined around town to highway at about 50:50. I'm sure it's the way I drive because any car my wife drives that I also drive it gets 3 - 6 more MPG's when she drives it.

Font Rectangle Material property Screenshot Parallel

· Registered
2019 Base CVT + Eyesight + Fogs
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Op would love my hud when coasting at 100kph...300+mpg lol tho I use fuelly for ACTUAL use ...maybe get that check engine light fixed
I don't see why I should care for a coasting hud realtime mpg when my post is about the average of a few months of driving. Perhaps you can explain it to me. While you're at it take a crack at why a check engine light is on at 0rpm.

I already verified computer mpg in 2020. Funny enough, it was 36.4 then as well.

Percent Difference​
95.52%​
4.48%​
Miles Driven​
436​
Gallons Fillup​
12.54​
Calculated MPG​
34.7687400318979​
Computer MPG​
36.4​

1 - 20 of 40 Posts