5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

Consumer Reports Downgrades Impreza?

12K views 37 replies 18 participants last post by  Chitownpete 
#1 ·
Two days ago, my wife and I decided to buy a new 2018 Impreza Premium hatchback. It is equipped with the full Eyesight system, sunroof and the base (6.5") infotainment system. We worked out a good deal and are scheduled to pick it up tomorrow morning.

Our car selection was influenced by the Consumer Reports #1 Ranking for the 2017 Impreza in the Compact Car category. The 2018 model tests had not yet been published, but it seemed reasonable to expect that the Impreza would continue to be a very highly rated car by Consumer Reports.

Au contraire! CR updated their Compact Car rankings today. The 2018 Impreza has fallen from #1 to #16 out of 42 cars! Apparently, the only reason for the drop is vehicle reliability, which is only 2 out of 5 for the 2018 model. The detail behind the poor reliability rating is not included. I notice that the 2017 model has poor reliability with respect to in-car electronics, but that was not bad enough to keep the 2017 model from being ranked #1. What else could be wrong with the 2018?

The bottom line is that we are concerned about the reliability of the car that we are supposed to pick up and drive away tomorrow morning. I am wondering if we should pull the plug on the deal and jump into a different vehicle.

What is happening with the 2018 Impreza to hurt the reliability rating?

All opinions welcome please.

Peace... Mack

See less See more
#2 ·
I just logged in with my account and it's the in-car electronics and power equipment that they dropped the ratings on the most, with one other small drop.

From the 2016 to 2017 model years the power equipment went from 5/5 to 3/5 and in car electronics went from 3/5 to 1/5.
The only other drop was the fuel system dropping from 5/5 to 4/5.

Not sure how power equipment is differentiated from in car electronics. The head unit is a bit funky at times although I think half the android auto issues I've had are due to my phone (issues are very infrequent anymore).

Nothing else changed from '16 to '17.

Everything else is rated 5/5.

Here's there summary from an article about vehicles they saw major changes on:
Trouble spots: The 2017 redesign, with an all-new platform, has below-average reliability compared with the previous generation’s outstanding reliability. Problems with the in-car electronics were the Subaru’s major downfall. Owners reported that the rearview camera didn’t work properly (its screen froze or was blank), the radio got no reception, and there were problems with phone pairing.

#3 ·
Welcome Mack!

Hey I was concerned when I read about the infotainment issues as well but the more I read about it the more it sounds like the problems are when someone connects their phone to the system via a wire. I have never done that and have not had any major problems with the large screen system that came with the Sport.

My phone "pairs" with the system and I can make phone calls and get phone calls and texts just fine. I have a usb drive with more than a thousand songs on it that works just fine. The only problem I ever had was Sirius losing my station presets one time.

The new Global Platform will no doubt score higher than the old platform in crash testing.

So far I am very happy with my 2017 Imp.

#5 · (Edited)
It's all about managing expectations!

Consumer Reports of reliability come from user reports. Since how cars function "normally" has been known for decades, people tend to know what to expect in the mechanical aspects of the vehicle.

Electronics are something else. Wander on over to Google's "Android Auto" user forum. Many of the complaints are valid, but many reflect unreasonable expectations. Users see the infotainment systems in other models & brands (or in some cases other countries), and expect the same thing in their vehicle. Or expect the infotainment system to have the full functionality of their phone or desktop computer. Eg, "Why can't I run YouTube?"

This whole infotainment thing is new, and there are both design and implementation bugs. The really good thing about many of these problems, is that most can be fixed with a software update. Unlike mechanical recalls (which are VERY expensive for the manufacturer to do), a software "recall" (aka update) is quite inexpensive (on a per unit basis).

Right now, manufacturers may be very reluctant to lets users do the firmware update (note that Subaru has now blocked web access to its head unit update), just like camera makers did a decade ago.

Some users (particularly the stupid ones) are quick to give software/firmware a negative review, just because the software doesn't do what the user wants. If you don't believe the magnitude of this problem, view the reviews on Google Play of most apps. I know one app maker who has blocked installation of their app from other than the USA & Canada, just because they got so many negative reviews from users in other countries, where the app made it clear it wasn't supported!

Reactions: mackeroni
#6 ·
I am feeling a bit better after these few responses. I also looked at the thread for likes and peeves, or whatever it is called. Most of the Gen5 complaints seem relatively minor to me. Reminds me a little of BMW forum, Bimmerpost.com. BMW drivers will complain about anything. "I don't like the long reach to the door handle to close the door," or "the power seats move too slowly," and so on.

Anyway, we're going to stick with our decision to buy the 2018 Impreza... unless someone shares a real deal-breaker with me in the next 24 hours or so!

Peace... Mack

#7 ·
I think Consumer Reports is a great resource (that's why I pay for it), but it's definitely good to look at the details behind their reports.

These problems do exist and impact users to varying degrees, but I have not personally found them to be an overwhelming issue for my Impreza.

ymmv of course

#9 ·
Here, this should make you feel better, it did for me...

https://www.torquenews.com/1084/how-29k-subaru-impreza-rivals-85k-bmw-7-series

The last 4 cars I have owned had buggy and quirky electronics, so no issue for me. Really
a lot of it is Software, not so much hardware I believe. I just don't think they did a good job
testing the thing.

I am just glad I didn't bother to wait for the Tesla 3.

https://jalopnik.com/heres-why-tesla-is-furious-with-consumer-reports-over-i-1819689234

So it's all relative...Your Mileage May Vary!

#13 ·
Reactions: mackeroni
#10 · (Edited)
I have the CR ratings and pricing guide for 2017 cars. The individualcar write up for the Impreza shows better than average reliability but consumersatisfaction is about midway in the satisfaction chart. It isn’t listed as arecommended car, maybe because it’s too new.

In the vehicle ratings and reference section for compactsedans the Impreza is checked as a recommended car, (contrary to their informationin the individual car listing). The Impreza is shown 1st overall of the 17 cars listed in the compact sedan class, FordFocus is last.

No section of the magazine mentions the excessive oilconsumption experienced in some older Subaru’s. My son has a 13 Crosstrek thatrequired and new short block for excessive oil consumption. He also has afriend that had the same problem. If you do a search for Subaru oil consumptionyou will get lots of information on oil use problems.

That said, I’m happy with my Impreza, miles is only 3800,it has been trouble free and there is no measurable oil use.

Clifton

#18 ·
Consumer Reports NEVER recommends a car during it's first model year introduction based on a lack of data on reliability and how folks feel about their car. In addition, the #1 reason that cars will get a negative is based on the in-car electronics and their ease of use and bugginess. I rely on CR a lot but you have to also read between the lines and not get so caught up in the weeds.

#16 ·
Island Blue, but kind of by default. Other choices in the premium palette didn't do much for wife and I. She has had nothing but dark gray cars for the last 15 years, and my current ride is white, so we needed something colorful in the garage.

We were both really happy to find exactly what we wanted on the lot. Last time I bought a new car in 2011, it took about four months from production line to dealer delivery. Ugh.

Peace... Mack

Reactions: C J
#20 ·
Hi Derrick. In general, you are correct. Most people post reviews online to complain. Consumer Reports ratings however, have two components. First are their 'expert' evaluations which are performed under rigorous conditions, the results of which are generally very accurate and reliable. The second part is comprised of survey responses. CR sends out these surveys to members soliciting reviews across a broad spectrum of products and services. It takes me about three hours to complete these surveys every year, which include cars, appliances, insurance companies and so on. It is painstaking and a real test of stamina and memory! Their system keeps track of the items that I have included in prior surveys and asks me for updates in subsequent years. This format can lead to changes in their ratings and recommendations for products over time.

Peace... Mack

#21 ·
"Redesigned 2017 Models With Major Growing Pains
These updated cars saw especially big drops in their reported reliability rating when compared with the previous model year.

Subaru Impreza
Trouble spots: The 2017 redesign, with an all-new platform, has below-average reliability compared with the previous generation’s outstanding reliability. Problems with the in-car electronics were the Subaru’s major downfall. Owners reported that the rearview camera didn’t work properly (its screen froze or was blank), the radio got no reception, and there were problems with phone pairing.

Attachments

#23 ·
It probably has nothing to do with the average seniority of the people building the impreza being less than 2 years. Getting people to work at the factory is nearly impossible because no one wants to have to actually work for their money. They don?t look at 5 years down the road when you are maxed out on pay and benefits. I took a $10 an hour cut coming from Caterpillar for the job security, but all the benefits and 100% company paid insurance is awesome too!

#24 ·
Sorry you had to take the cut, Derrick. I hope working for Subaru turns out well for you in the long run. I guess your comment about seniority is meant to be sarcastic, but personally, I wouldn't blame the factory team in Indiana for all the customer concerns. The technology that has been packed into this car, the least expensive in Subaru's line, is nothing short of incredible, and it takes some getting used to. I have experienced problems because of my own lack of understanding. (Yes, I admit it!) But, the more I drive this car, the better I understand it and the more I love it!

Keep doing good stuff at the factory, man!

Peace... Mack

#25 ·
Yeah. I haven't read the CR article, but from the blurb posted above it seems that the reliability issues are mainly due to a poorly designed head unit. FWIW, I still blame Subaru for that, even though it comes from an outside vendor. It should have been better qualified in the first place.

But, my real point is that the mechanical, safety, etc of the gen5 Impreza seems to be as reliable and well built as any. I understand that the in-car electronics is the interface to the car itself for many people (the brake pedal and steering wheel are taken for granted). So, if it sucks then the car is perceived as sucking, even if it's really just a tiny - and ultimately fixable - part of the car as a whole.

#26 · (Edited)
Cars are made for driving!

... I understand that the in-car electronics is the interface to the car itself for many people (the brake pedal and steering wheel are taken for granted). So, if it sucks then the car is perceived as sucking, even if it's really just a tiny - and ultimately fixable - part of the car as a whole.
Agreed!

I have been a software developer for over 50 years, with about half of that in embedded devices (ie, firmware). I currently have five Android devices, down from a peak of nine about two years ago. However, when I bought my 2017 Impreza two months ago, I had not even heard of Android Auto. I verified that the Impreza supported a phone Bluetooth connection, and that was the end of my concern about the electronics.

Now, this may shock some of you ( :wink2: ), but my main reasons for wanting a Subaru (& my prior cars) were (in descending order):
  1. Mechanical reliability
  2. AWD (driving reliability)
  3. Resale value

What, you may ask? You didn't want to fiddle with the technology with which you had devoted your entire career???

That's correct. I guess I have a different purpose for my cars (see the title of this message). For me, they are not communication or entertainment centers. I'm busy driving, trying to keep the distracted idiots on the road from tailgating or running into me.

So, after buying my Impreza, I connected my Android phone, and it automatically downloaded & installed Android Auto. With minor glitches, it has worked well. But then, I don't expect it to be a Microsoft Media Center. Notice the expectation created by Apple's equivalent to Android Auto: "Car Play".

Which brings me to the components of any usage of Android Auto or Car Play:
  • The car
  • The car-phone software interface (ie, Android Auto or Car Play)
  • The phone apps
  • The phone

When people have problems, they tend to blame the component they like the least, which tends to be the car-phone software interface. While that interface has some bugs and needs some improvement, most often the problem is that the whole package doesn't do what they want. And then they whine.

Sometimes the problem is that the app on the phone wasn't fully designed for the (safety & bandwidth) constraints of the car-phone software interface. I have several of those, and they are not the fault of Subaru, Google, or Apple. They are designed for the phone. That will change with time.

Then, there is the phone. For example, the (apparently) popular "Huawei Mate" smartphone is "claimed to work with Android Auto", but doesn't. This is what happens when people buy a cheap product, and their users seem to have the same characteristic: Despite this being one of the most common complaints on the Android Auto support forum, none of these buyers seem to be able to find the numerous threads about the Huawei, and always start their own thread. Hmm ...

#31 ·
The biggest reason cars take a hit on CR is for the infotainment. Ford took a huge hit for the original SYNC system. The 2017 Impreza is a great car IMPO and the only reason CR dinged it was for the newly introduced HK head unit. However, after the latest update, the HU has been bullet-proof and zero issues with this car.

The 2018 will have the identical same issues as the 2017 cars and are the same in EVERY way mechanically and electronically. Only change are software updates they did to the 2018's at the factory BEFORE they hit the streets where the 2017 had some growing pains afterwards.

Reactions: DeanGibson
#34 ·
You know, I almost bought a Mazda 3 2.5 with 185 horse and 184 torque. I decided against it because it was more expensive and no AWD. That extra 30 horsepower changes everything. Part of me wishes I bought it instead. Having that extra grunt was so sweet

#37 ·
Consumer Reports is the last place you should look for car buying advice. Their car recommendations are so in consistent and worthless I would say leave them to review appliances but after doubling our budget for a washing machine based on their recommendation (wifes idea) I had to replace it after only two years in our 2 person household. I bought the cheapest washer I could find out of protest and 12 years later it works perfectly. It's not 1985 anymore, time for CR to go the way of Rotary Phones. Buy a Impreza if you like it, you can find a bad review for anything if you look for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.