5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Impreza Limited 5-door, Dark Blue with Ivory Leather.
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a good bit of study, I realize I have no way to know the true coolant temperature of my Impreza. I know if it is cold (blue indicator light), getting too warm (flashing red indicator light), and too hot (solid red indicator light). Clearly, normal operating temperature is indicated by the absence of any indicator light.

Being from what is called, the "old school," I am more comfortable looking at an actual analog dial. If that is not possible, an LCD or LED display showing numerals is acceptable. A quick Google search turned up something called an Ultragauge in both wired and wireless variants for $80USD. With more than 70 customizable indicators, it sounds like an incredible bargain.

Is anyone using one of these? Is it reliable? How do you like it? Are there other alternatives?

The last thing I want to do is screw up the electronics in my wife's Subie. Please let me know if this is risky and why.

Thanks... Mack

Attachments

·
Registered
200 Posts
I am using a friends scanguage e to monitor coolant temp just enter car info and plug into ecu no harm I have used many of these gauges without issues
My bottom rad hose is cool top hose is hot

Can anyone check their lower rad hose and see if it is cool please
Caution exhaust is nearby
Don't get burned

·
Registered
177 Posts
OBDLink & Torque

After a good bit of study, I realize I have no way to know the true coolant temperature of my Impreza. ... I am more comfortable looking at an actual analog dial. ... Are there other alternatives?

... Please let me know if this is risky and why.

Thanks... Mack
Want ZERO risk? Buy an OBD II Bluetooth adapter (plugs in under the steering wheel) & view all your engine's "numbers" on your cell phone. I recommend an OBDLink LX adapter for about $70 (includes the Android OBDLink app). Also check out the Torque app.

Unfortunately there is no support for displaying the info via Android Auto on the head unit, but I think (my opinion) that is coming, sooner or later.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Want ZERO risk? Buy an OBD II Bluetooth adapter (plugs in under the steering wheel) & view all your engine's "numbers" on your cell phone. I recommend an OBDLink LX adapter for about $70 (includes the Android OBDLink app). Also check out the Torque app.

Unfortunately there is no support for displaying the info via Android Auto on the head unit, but I think (my opinion) that is coming, sooner or later.
I have a similar device on my BMW 135i. Carly plugs into the OBD port and sends WIFI signal to my iPhone. It works great and has lots of capabilities, but I would prefer a dedicated display like the Ultragauge in my Subie. Thanks.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You could always throw a ton of money at something like a diablo trinity tuner that has all of that stuff on it. Newer cars won?t truly let a car overheat before it shuts down anyway!
Looking for an affordable solution, but thanks for the suggestion. Maybe when I win the lottery, I'll get a Trinity for my new Porsche. Haha!

So many years of driving and a few flying lessons have deeply ingrained a desire to see all the instruments. I appreciate that my car might shut down to protect itself from me. I would just like to see things like coolant temperature so that I can see trouble coming well before it arrives. Thanks Derrick!

·
Registered
320 Posts
I was going to ask "what about the multifunction display above the infotainment screen" but I didn't realize it was a different screen on the premium. Granted, the coolant temp gauge you get doesn't give actual temperature but at least it gives you a gauge like other/older cars.

The single idiot light as the only option for that does kind of rub me the wrong way. Until now I've never had a car that didn't just have a temp gauge in the cluster.

·
Registered
82 Posts
You could always throw a ton of money at something like a diablo trinity tuner that has all of that stuff on it. Newer cars won?t truly let a car overheat before it shuts down anyway!
I would happily spend $600 on a tuner if it gave me access to all of the variables in the ECU. Besides adjusting things like ignition timing and fuel injection, I'd like to be able to adjust things like 'throttle hang.' All of that stuff is completely accessible in older WRX's and Civics, with free software at that. I'd pay $$$ to have it with these cars, but I'm not holding my breath while I wait for someone to decode the ECU. Obviously, Subaru is not going to tell anyone how to do it.

So many years of driving and a few flying lessons have deeply ingrained a desire to see all the instruments. I appreciate that my car might shut down to protect itself from me. I would just like to see things like coolant temperature so that I can see trouble coming well before it arrives.
I've be wondering when new car manufacturers are going to go to 'all-glass' dashboards. Basically replace the half-moon shaped instrument cluster behind the steering wheel with an LCD screen. Then, theoretically, you could configure the gauge cluster however you want. Things like temperature gauges would be hidden out of the way until your temp went above some (programmable) level then the gauge would pop up.

But, I think it's probably all a dream. I mean, all-glass gauge clusters are definitely coming. All it will take is for someone to start mass producing the LCD's and then it will be cheaper to go all-glass than put in separate instruments and indicator lights. The dream is that the user will have control over what it looks like. Once upon a time you could customize Microsoft Windows to look almost any way you want. Early versions of Linux with Gnome were even more flexible. With Win10 you can't even reorganize the Start Menu. Discarded potential.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I've be wondering when new car manufacturers are going to go to 'all-glass' dashboards. Basically replace the half-moon shaped instrument cluster behind the steering wheel with an LCD screen. Then, theoretically, you could configure the gauge cluster however you want. Things like temperature gauges would be hidden out of the way until your temp went above some (programmable) level then the gauge would pop up.

But, I think it's probably all a dream. I mean, all-glass gauge clusters are definitely coming. All it will take is for someone to start mass producing the LCD's and then it will be cheaper to go all-glass than put in separate instruments and indicator lights. The dream is that the user will have control over what it looks like. Once upon a time you could customize Microsoft Windows to look almost any way you want. Early versions of Linux with Gnome were even more flexible. With Win10 you can't even reorganize the Start Menu. Discarded potential.
Pretty sure quite a few all-glass/full LCD gauge clusters already exist on some new cars, just not in this price range :wink2:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are you assuming it must be so, or do you know of quite a few examples?
Below is a still from the 2015 VW Passat LED dash. I have seen at least one more. Audi, perhaps. Ah, yes... Here is the video of the 2014 Audi dash display. There is mention of the Tesla digital display in the Audi clip.

Peace... Mack

Attachments

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I just bought a loaded 2017 A4 Sport with the Virtual Cockpit and it's super cool!!! Even more cool than the video above as they have made several enhancements to it since it was introduced.

·
Registered
177 Posts
From XDA-Labs ...

https://forum.xda-developers.com/general/paid-software/app-obd2-plugin-android-auto-torque-t3657805

Attachments

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Seriously? There must be apps that read OBDII over bluetooth. It's a basic thing.
There are tons of options you can buy where you plug a BT dongle into your OBD2 port and access the codes through an app on your phone. They aren't that expensive either. Just Google them and pick the one that sounds the best to suit your needs.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Apple is worse

Seriously? There must be apps that read OBDII over bluetooth. It's a basic thing.
That's not the issue. It would also have to work with CarPlay. Just as this app has to work with Android Auto, & it only does so when installed as "Unknown sources". That means that Google would not approve it as Android Auto app in the Google Play store (& yes, they have a reason for not doing so).

Apple is even more "locked down" with regard to app approval.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Why does anyone need a code reader that displays on their head unit? Why is the phone itself not good enough?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts