5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this article on a Subaru FB Group I follow. Subaru might discontinue the manual transmission option for the sake of safety. The Ascent line up does not have any manual options since Eyesight is standard. It seems that Subaru wants Eyesight in all their cars so they can claim to have the safest cars on the road. Would this CVT only option for all Subaru models hurt the brand? I could see a CVT only WRX, but an STI would almost have to stay manual right?

Could Subaru Discontinue Manual Transmissions in the Name of Safety? - Motor Trend

·
Administrator
2017 Imp 5 door. Auto, Red.
1,906 Posts
Personally I feel that manuals are such a small percent of the sales segment these days I don't see car manufacturers wasting money to build them. Many high end auto makers don't offer them anymore. I enjoyed having a manual when I was young but now enjoy the ease of an automatic.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I honestly think to keep true auto enthusiasts happy you have to keep the manual trans. I understand it's percentage of sales is really low compared to the past years. But if you take away a consumer's "option" to change gears, they will find a manufacturer that offers them that option. Subaru will suffer if they do this. The BRZ is a complete turd with a CVT and the WRX and STI faithful will surely pass on them. I myself prefer automatics now, but I used to only buy manuals. I wouldn't even buy another Impreza with an automatic. If I were to buy another one it would for sure be a manual. I personally couldn't care less about eyesight. our Sport has it but I think its more of a hinderance than helpful. I know I will get ridiculed for that last statement but I drove for many years before ever having this technology. I am pretty sure I can drive for many more without it.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Personally I feel that manuals are such a small percent of the sales segment these days I don't see car manufacturers wasting money to build them. Many high end auto makers don't offer them anymore. I enjoyed having a manual when I was young but now enjoy the ease of an automatic.
Outside of specialty vehicles (aimed at the enthusiast, likely with matching pricepoints), I would expect the same. You can't argue for them on efficiency anymore and manufacturers aren't selling enough to keep them around.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I would pay extra to have a manual transmission. I'm fine with it being an option, not standard. I love that it's currently available in so many Subaru models. If it went away in the future, then I wouldn't consider getting any of the future Subaru models. I can forgive a lot of quirks in a car if the car gives me the driving experience I want.

·
Administrator
1,906 Posts
I actually had to trade in a three year old Forester because I had shoulder surgery and couldn't shift anymore.

·
Registered
653 Posts
There certainly can come a time when a person has to make a choice on car configuration based on need.

A couple of years ago my brother had to shop around within 200 miles of home to find a new Forester with a stick shift. He's quite pleased with it. Subaru wouldn't have gotten his business either if automatics were the only choice.

·
Registered
778 Posts
we honestly wanted a manual when we bought our Impreza but we didn't want to order one and wait 3 months for it. in hindsight I kind of wish we had.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Be careful what you ask for.

Before wishing for a MT, see the "RPM hang" thread on this forum.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I can see this happening in the North American market, where traffic flow, congestion and certain lifestyles can probably dictate it. I already see some of my friends switching from manual to auto, for various reasons. But overseas, maybe in Asia & Europe, etc, I'm not sure, bc I still see large numbers of manuals there.

The Impreza may be my first & last Subaru if they decide to go all CVT/EyeSight. I think it's a good idea to keep manual/base model an option for customers that enjoy that type of car/driving style. I appreciate the BR-Z in manual for what it is - no frills, fun to drive, feel the road kind of fun, which reminds me of my old GT-S. I don't think it would be the same experience with those kind of cars, even with the WRX

·
Registered
521 Posts
I would rather have the 6spd from the BRZ. Wouldn't drive my sport hatch without a manual, makes the car a little more fun!!!
BRZ is RWD. I think we would need the 6Spd from the Crosstrek. I would like shorter gears and 6th be the same as our 5th. A 2.5 would be nice also.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I tried out a 6spd Crosstrek. I definitely prefer the 5spd. The ratios didn't seem to be an improvement and the throw was really long. I would definitely take it over the cvt, but side by side comparison I liked the 5spd better in this platform.

·
Administrator
1,906 Posts
Porsche does not plan on phasing out the manual transmission.

Lamborghini is not offering a manual anymore so you can all forget about that.

Jag and Ferrari? Nope, no manual for you.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I was going to get my sport hatch in manual but with the options I wanted the difference in price between the auto version and the manual version was $5,000...I kid you not. I had a pretty lengthy conversation with the dealer about it and seriously their response was, "we don't get many cars with these options in manual so we can ask for more and people will pay it"...umm not me!

Needless to say, I got my car in auto...I miss manual 100% but can see the appeal of auto as I'm getting older. And of course, I love all the extra features.

At some point, I'll be able to afford an older project car that will be manual!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I was always a stick guy, but with a kid and a non sports commuter car I went with the cvt.

Test drive the 5speed impreza and 6 speed crosstrek. Wasn't impressed in the least.

I'll likely pickup a 05-06 WRX or 92x in manual with a viscous differential or something like a miata I can row through for fun.

is very informative. Cvt is the way to go now imo.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
430 Posts
The 5MT is associated with a higher rate of oil consumption issues on Boxer engines, at least in the Forester and Outback lines. The rpms run higher than CVT vehicles, although the true connection with oil consumption isn't clear at all.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts