5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Sport Hatch MT
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there’s another thread on this from a few years back, but wanted to start fresh.

Yesterday I noticed that my crank pulley wobbles slightly when my engine is idle. Never noticed it before, but was never really looking for it either. When you get some revs into it it straightens out. Also, when the engine is off it looks as what I think is paint peeling from the dampener ring.

Scheduled an appointment with the dealer to have it looked at next week. Will post a video and pic as soon as I get a chance.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Do you feel comfortable loosening
the tensioner and pulling the belt off? You could then spin it by hand and see if you're able to recreate the wobble.

·
Registered
19 Sport Hatch MT
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the tensioner and pulling the belt off? You could then spin it by hand and see if you're able to recreate the wobble.
Yeah not comfortable doing that lol. Don’t want the dealer potentially saying that I messed it up while trying to fix it myself.

·
Registered
19 Sport Hatch MT
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Skip to 1:35 so you don’t have to wait for the engine to finish warming up

·
Registered
213 Posts
Skip to 1:35 so you don’t have to wait for the engine to finish warming up
Is this something that you know was not happening before and just noticed recently, or is this the first time you really looked at the crank pulley and then noticed it?
It looks like the pulley itself is warped, at least from what I can see. The bolt stays Center and dead straight, so at least you know it's just a pulley.
One of two things will happen at the dealership. They will either see what it is and install a new pulley (I think), or say everything's fine, make you feel like you're going crazy and say have a nice day. They did that to me when my brakes started squeaking at 6,000 miles. They turned the rotors and installed new pads. It was fine for a few months and then it would happen again. I took it in two more times over the next year or two. I told them it was probably a warped rotor and they were like "nah, the rotors fine". Well last summer I bought and installed new pads and rotors for the front and I haven't heard a single squeak since then.

·
Registered
19 Sport Hatch MT
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I never really looked for it before so it could have been happening this whole time. They could very well tell me I’m going crazy or that’s it’s normal, but figure it’s a good idea to at least have it documented.

·
Registered
525 Posts
How does a person spin the CRANKSHAFT by hand?

I would think that putting a dial indicator on it and turning with a wrench could indicate exactly how much runout there is. A person skilled with using a dial indicator could ascertain exactly where the runout is coming from. (shaft, pulley,, mounting, machining...etc)

Dial Indicator ==> Indicator (distance amplifying instrument) - Wikipedia

·
Registered
2 Posts
I discovered this same issue over the weekend with my 2017 impreza. I am going to take it to the local dealer in Toronto and get it checked out.

·
Registered
19 Sport Hatch MT
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I discovered this same issue over the weekend with my 2017 impreza. I am going to take it to the local dealer in Toronto and get it checked out.
Cool lemme know what they say!

·
Registered
525 Posts
Yeah, it seems the lower the rpm is the more noticeable it is.
That is due to how the camera captures movement. If something is moving too fast for camera to capture it... the image is digitally modified to average the stored data.

·
Registered
19 Sport Hatch MT
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I agree that the camera averages it out. Regardless in real life it wobbles and the video is fairly accurate.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Mine has been exactly like that since 2017, dealer said its norm and Subaru engines. 64,000 miles and no problems

·
Registered
19 Sport Hatch MT
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mine has been exactly like that since 2017, dealer said its norm and Subaru engines. 64,000 miles and no problems
Thanks, that helps put me more at ease. Gonna take it in anyways so they can fix my steering wheel being slightly off center.

·
Registered
19 Sport Hatch MT
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update: Took it in this morning and they said they made sure the bolts were tightened down, compared it to another car, and said that amount of wobble was normal. So yeah...

·
Registered
374 Posts
Yep that's what they said about mine....It's normal. I countered and said okay so the harmonic balancer is doing it's job here and it is reflected as a slight wobble? The tech says he's not sure but most of the "newer" cars do that. Really?!! This is the quality answer I'm supposed to understand. "Its normal" .... Bahhhh.

·
Registered
19 Sport Hatch MT
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well at least yours does the exact same wobble too. Still doesn’t seem right to me though cause I don’t remember any of my past subarus. Whatever, it’s documented. Here’s to a whole engine recall in the future lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts