5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got the correct part, after struggling with mislabeled/incorrect parts. I've had it installed for about two days and can definitely feel the car feel a lot stiffer. Of course, I got the rear to match with my front strut bar. The best part about installing this is the minimal trunk space I lost, being able to keep my longboard in front of the strut bar and still have space for other stuff. Now all I need to get is a set of coilovers and wheels and tires.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Looks good! How far above the spare tire cover does the bar sit? I ask because I have a sub sitting there right now but if it's low enough, I can make some spacers to have the sub sit over it AND still have clearance for the cargo cover.

·
Super Moderator
1,797 Posts
That looks great! Does it allow you to flip the spare tire cover back?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where did you buy from, I need one. Best price I've seen is $180.
I got mine off of Amazon for $180 as well I believe after struggling to get it off of CarID. Just make sure the part number is correct when buying it.
Looks good! How far above the spare tire cover does the bar sit? I ask because I have a sub sitting there right now but if it's low enough, I can make some spacers to have the sub sit over it AND still have clearance for the cargo cover.
I would say there's at least 1/2 inch of space and up to an inch.
That looks great! Does it allow you to flip the spare tire cover back?
There is enough space to open up the spare cover and access everything underneath it. However, to remove the cover completely you need to remove the strut bar as the cover has indents to access the top bolts of the strut and is solid all around.

·
Registered
26 Posts
How's the body roll now? Was there a bigger difference going from stock and adding a front strut brace vs already having the front and adding the rear?

·
Registered
602 Posts
I decided I needed one of these too. There is a guy on ebay selling them, and he was willing to sell it for $170 + tax + shipping (just under $200 total). His stock photo is for the front Cusco brace, but he confirmed it's the rear and it had the right part number (699 541 A). It fits as well in the sedan as the hatchback, and I checked to make sure you can get the spare out with it in place. There isn't a lot of extra room but you can. Some minor trimming of cosmetic trunk covers was necessary, as well as some trimming of my Subaru trunk mat (which has all sorts of cracks and splits).

·
Registered
191 Posts
I decided I needed one of these too.

I kept trying to figure out why the back of your car looks different then mine. After a while I figured out you have a sedan. Here's how mine looks installed in my wagon. I trimmed the plastic side panels to fit so it would look finished and the cargo mat sits right underneath the bar.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I could clean up my installation a little more and might later. My trunk mat isn't in great shape so I was ok with just notching it. I've see some awesome rubber mats in truck beds and might find one of those to make a better mat from.

·
Registered
39 Posts
If you paint the "frame" beneath the plastic and flange flat black, it'll hide a lot of defects. I love hi-heat grill paint, it doesn't scratch off.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
could you post a link to it on amazon? I can't find it thanks.
Link to the strut bar: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NY47Q9Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

How's the body roll now? Was there a bigger difference going from stock and adding a front strut brace vs already having the front and adding the rear?
Body roll is very minimal and feels close to nonexistent in my opinion. From stock to just the front, the turn in on corners felt tighter, as if the steering was more precise. However, without the rear strut, you can feel the rear body roll, giving a feeling of dragging the rear in hard cornering because of the tighter turn in from the front. Once the rear was added, this problem ended and on the stock sport trim tires, she will handle so nicely. I recently upgraded to a grippier set of tires and the car is completely different as to when it was stock.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Anyone worried about spare tire removal should just keek a 6mm allen key in the trunk to remove the bar quickly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts