5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got around to doing the mod I?ve wanted to do most since I got the car. Since there are no bolt on systems I fortunately am very close to solo performance, a company who mainly focuses on muscle cars like mustangs and chargers, but have a wide range or mufflers and parts.

The pipes on the sport before the resonator are 3 inch so those were left alone. Behind the resonator the pipe bogs down to 2 inch so they replaced the pipe with 3 inch and I went with their Mach muffler series. It is described as a free flow muffler with out all the noise. The muffler sounds great with a nice rumble which isn?t over powering at cruising speeds but has a very nice low tone with the foot on the gas. There?s hardly any cabin noise when cruising but can hear it coming on the outside. At idle it had some sound, but I feel it could be a little louder. I kept the stock resonator on their recommendation, telling me to try it out for a week, if I want it louder I can bring it back and go resonator delete which isn?t happening or replace the stock with a free flow resonator. On the subject of resonators everything I?ve read is a free flow will tune the exhaust note not necessarily make it louder. I have no expirence with it. I?m pretty happy with the sound although it could be a touch louder I think for now I?m going to keep this setup. I say I wish it was louder until it?s too loud. I?m not sure if there are any real performance gains besides the logic of bigger pipes and free flow muffler theoretically adding gains. Would I have liked to get a borla bolt on and go on their word of performance gains? Sure, but the main reason for this was sound, not really adding HP. This may be an ignorant comment but what is the difference between a 3 inch borla cat back and one like this that is 3 inch pipes with another brand performance muffler? Especially on this car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am intrigued. This is also the first thing I have wanted to do to the car, but there just isn't anything out yet. Hmmm. Let us know if you end up getting a different resonator. :)

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will. Since the resonator could have easily been replaced when I did the rest of it, the shop won?t charge me labor if I decide to switch resonators later, just the price of the part. Also since it all had to be welded, I couldn?t really test different mufflers out beforehand. The resonator can be put in place and at least held there temporarily so I can hear a few options before committing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts