5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2019 Sport hatch with the CVT. I have the 'flappy paddle' shifters and use them periodically, but most of the time I just let the CVT take care of the 'shifting'. I've become rather proficient on judicious use of the throttle to give a nearly-seamless progress through the ratios, but occasionally I have to floor it just a bit, which then brings on those silly 'false shifts', which I really can't stand. Ideally, I'd like the CVT to go through it's range seamlessly, and when I want it to do something else, I've got the paddles to override in a jerky fashion.

I know when the CVT first came out, the transmission was programmed kinda like that, but it seems people didn't like that feel, so they put fake shifts in. I, OTOH, would like the original shifting setup, and I'm wondering if there is anything I can do about it, either legally or even slightly illegally? Does anybody here have specific knowledge about whether an older CVT control unit would work, or if some tuner offers something like this? I'm really only looking on tweaking the CVT, not the engine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
To my knowledge it's a new cvt compared to the previous generations with the shiftless setup. The decision to do away with the shiftless seems like it was based on feed back on the CVT whine and the road feel. It looks like the valve body could be reverse engineered and the signals deciphered to create an aftermarket shiftless version but this would take a lot of time and money to accomplish, I estimate in the ball park of 50-100k easy. This could be greatly reduced if one could get their hands on the Subaru data sheets and cad files. It's my understanding that it's not just the programming but the physical design of the cvt valve body control unit that creates those shift points. CVT's seem to be manufacturer secrets at this point of time.

·
Registered
2.0i 5D 5MT Silver
195 Posts
I don't think the CVT can be adjusted in the ECU programming, but perhaps its only missing on my MT car.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts