5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days ago my transmission blew up at almost 60,000 miles. i had noticed it slipping and loosing torque 5,000 miles before hand, but it finally gave out. ive driven this trany really hard and im honestly surprised it lasted this long. Subaru warrantied it thankfully. with this new transmission, i notice, problably a 5% increase in hp/torque. ran a new 0-60 time coming out to be .6 second faster, in addition, my shifts being cleaner and faster. overall, huge difference in performance.

·
Registered
22 Posts
This is something I am really concerned about after buying the car. Have you considered converting transmission to manual or did the Subaru dealer give that option?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Are you driving it hard and ignoring obvious signs that it need to be looked at for 5k miles?
I do drive it hard but thats just how I drive. I have driven all my cars hard. I have serviced my car twice and just reached 9k in miles.

Whats signs should i be looking for?

·
Registered
22 Posts
This would never be an option for a dealer.
If I had a blown trans past is drive train warranty. I think that is something i would consider.

I only began hearing of the bad rep CVT had after buying the car, only to hear that the 6 speed is more reliable.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I do drive it hard but thats just how I drive. I have driven all my cars hard. I have serviced my car twice and just reached 9k in miles.

It's in the original post, he noticed slipping and lack of torque but ignored it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is something I am really concerned about after buying the car. Have you considered converting transmission to manual or did the Subaru dealer give that option?
No need to really worry unless your driving it insanely hard. For example, at 135 for many hours straight across states, or heavy canyon runs that uou get abnormal tread wear on. Like I've kinda treated this like a track/rally car, which the trans isn't quite up to the task. I've done supporting mods for everything else except the trans. Soon I will get an additional cooler for the trans, although even with running it hard, it seems to stay at a good operating Temp.
If I swapped it with a different trans or a manual, it would be very hard, and I would also loose all my eyesight capabilities. Whe physical swap may not be too too bad, but electronics and everything associated with that, I've been told is difficult.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's in the original post, he noticed slipping and lack of torque but ignored it.
I ignored it because I knew it was still under warranty, and at some point it would need service. And I just didn't have time for a trany rebuild, and would rather just have it replaced with new one instead which they may not have done if it wasn't a complete loss.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Should be looking for loss in power, not as crisp shifts when using paddles, sliding backwards on hills. There was absolutely no sounds when mine was going bad or even when it blew, it just didn't hold anymore. Can also monitor temperature, although there was no temperature change in mine when it happened,, if theres an issue with the cooling of the cvt fluid, then the Temp would rise. Another thing to check if your worried about it, frequent your trany fluid change and check for metal deposits in the car fluid.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm also kinda expecting head gasket failure at about 100,000. No signs of it happening yet, but just wouldn't be surprised if it did. When the engine does fail, I plan on a LS swapping with one ive been building in the meantime. That's the ultimate plan for the car after things start to fail.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'm also kinda expecting head gasket failure at about 100,000. No signs of it happening yet, but just wouldn't be surprised if it did. When the engine does fail, I plan on a LS swapping with one ive been building in the meantime. That's the ultimate plan for the car after things start to fail.
Mine just failed at 91k. Subaru wanted $5,600 to fix it. I took it to a shop that works exclusively on Subarus and they are replacing the whole engine for one with 6,000 miles on it for $3,500. I also had concern about the CVT. Since the transmission warranty ends at 100k Im having them put in a new transmission as well with matching miles to the engine for another $1,800. Honestly, my transmission never felt right from brand new. I always felt like it was starting out in its second gear equivalent ratio and I got passed by a Crosstrek when my foot was to the floor even though I accelerated first. I've driven a couple other imprezas and crosstreks and they didn't feel anywhere near as sluggish as mine.

Although it really sucks that I'm having to fork out $5,300 for a new engine and transmission on a car that I bought brand new less than 4 years ago, I'm really hoping that with a brand new drivetrain I can push this car to at least 250k or more.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Mine just failed at 91k. Subaru wanted $5,600 to fix it. I took it to a shop that works exclusively on Subarus and they are replacing the whole engine for one with 6,000 miles on it for $3,500. I also had concern about the CVT. Since the transmission warranty ends at 100k Im having them put in a new transmission as well with matching miles to the engine for another $1,800. Honestly, my transmission never felt right from brand new. I always felt like it was starting out in its second gear equivalent ratio and I got passed by a Crosstrek when my foot was to the floor even though I accelerated first. I've driven a couple other imprezas and crosstreks and they didn't feel anywhere near as sluggish as mine.

Although it really sucks that I'm having to fork out $5,300 for a new engine and transmission on a car that I bought brand new less than 4 years ago, I'm really hoping that with a brand new drivetrain I can push this car to at least 250k or more.
I'm confused as to why you're paying $1800 for your trans when it's under cvt extension. That's warranty so there's no charge. Also Subaru doesn't just replace transmissions because you don't like how they feel.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Damn, that really sucks, if I didn't have the warranty, it would have been about 7 or 8,000 to replace mine. Honestly never liked the cvt. I suppose for a grandma car it is great, but for even regular driving, I like a regular auto or manual. That way there's so many things to change on then and can easily swap it with something else you know.

What were some other noticeable problems you found with it besides the starting in "2nd"?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Damn, that really sucks, if I didn't have the warranty, it would have been about 7 or 8,000 to replace mine. Honestly never liked the cvt. I suppose for a grandma car it is great, but for even regular driving, I like a regular auto or manual. That way there's so many things to change on then and can easily swap it with something else you know.

What were some other noticeable problems you found with it besides the starting in "2nd"?
I'm not sure if it's directly related to the transmission or not, but it was definitely slower than I should have been, and I mean slower than other imprezas and Crosstreks.

After starting in second and reaching between 3000- 4000 RPM I could pick up my foot and then plant it again and the car would then shift down to first ratio.

After any sort of spirited driving or going up a lot of hills, or anything that put any extra load on the transmission such as driving through sand would result in a hot almost burning smell.

When driving slowly at low RPMs especially up hills I would hear this clattering sound, which I thought was an axle shaft or wheel bearing, but was definitely the transmission.

All of these things I went to the dealer for and told them about and each time they told me that they didn't notice anything.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'm confused as to why you're paying $1800 for your trans when it's under cvt extension. That's warranty so there's no charge. Also Subaru doesn't just replace transmissions because you don't like how they feel.
There were multiple issues that had me concerned about the transmission. It wasn't a not liking how it feels. Compared to the two other imprezas and three crosstreks that I had driven they all felt exactly the same and my car felt wrong like it started out in the wrong ratio.

Each time I took the car in for that plus a few other issues with the transmission that I stated in another comment I was told that it was fine. Subaru dealer also told me that I didn't have a warped brake rotor when in fact I did, so I don't know if I just got a sketchy dealer near me or what, but I don't 100% trust them.

I'm only 9,000 miles away from the end of the transmission warranty so even if the transmission felt fine I would probably still want to replace it. I didn't think it made sense to pair what is basically a brand new engine with a transmission that has 91,000 mi on it. Since the engine is coming out anyway labor is going to be a lot less than if I decided to replace it on its own in another 50 or 100,000 miles when it actually goes out, so I thought that it would only make sense to have a fresh start.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm not sure if it's directly related to the transmission or not, but it was definitely slower than I should have been, and I mean slower than other imprezas and Crosstreks.

After starting in second and reaching between 3000- 4000 RPM I could pick up my foot and then plant it again and the car would then shift down to first ratio.

After any sort of spirited driving or going up a lot of hills, or anything that put any extra load on the transmission such as driving through sand would result in a hot almost burning smell.

When driving slowly at low RPMs especially up hills I would hear this clattering sound, which I thought was an axle shaft or wheel bearing, but was definitely the transmission.

All of these things I went to the dealer for and told them about and each time they told me that they didn't notice anything.
That's a bummer the dealer didn't see anything but kinda makes sense, cause if it's internal, their obvy not going to tear it apart to find something that their not 100% sure is there. But I do think they would have heard something and depending on what they heard at least put a scope to it and chase down the sounds.

·
Registered
85 Posts
There were multiple issues that had me concerned about the transmission. It wasn't a not liking how it feels. Compared to the two other imprezas and three crosstreks that I had driven they all felt exactly the same and my car felt wrong like it started out in the wrong ratio.

Each time I took the car in for that plus a few other issues with the transmission that I stated in another comment I was told that it was fine. Subaru dealer also told me that I didn't have a warped brake rotor when in fact I did, so I don't know if I just got a sketchy dealer near me or what, but I don't 100% trust them.

I'm only 9,000 miles away from the end of the transmission warranty so even if the transmission felt fine I would probably still want to replace it. I didn't think it made sense to pair what is basically a brand new engine with a transmission that has 91,000 mi on it. Since the engine is coming out anyway labor is going to be a lot less than if I decided to replace it on its own in another 50 or 100,000 miles when it actually goes out, so I thought that it would only make sense to have a fresh start.
I'm not sure I'm still following. The car is under cvt extension. If it's being covered there is zero cost to you. If you're just replacing the trans cash a brand new one is 6485.27 plus fluids and gaskets plus labor. Are they putting in a used trans?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts