5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Premium: Motegi ME140|Nokian WRG4
32 Posts
I have a 17 and received a letter a few months after owning it stating that they issued it. It might be 2017s only.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Mine is a 2018 as well, and it does have the 100,000 mile extended warranty on the transmission. I took the car in about three times because of the issues I felt with the transmission, feeling like it started out in the wrong ratio and the clattering sound. Each time they said it was fine, so I'm guessing they just plugged it into a scanner to look for codes and that was it. So because they never found an issue nothing was done about it.

Even if I didn't feel any issues with the transmission, for an extra $1,800 I would probably still want to replace it since it's so close to the end of the warranty and if it did fell in another say 40 or 50,000 miles it would be way more expensive to replace or repair than the $1,800 I'm paying right now for one with 6,000 miles on it.

I didn't like the idea of pairing a 91,000 mi transmission with a 6,000 mi engine anyway. I'd like to have this car as long as possible so for what isn't a ton of extra money I can ensure a lot longer life out of the car. That was my train of thought anyway.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'm not sure I'm still following. The car is under cvt extension. If it's being covered there is zero cost to you. If you're just replacing the trans cash a brand new one is 6485.27 plus fluids and gaskets plus labor. Are they putting in a used trans?
I think I stated this earlier, but I am not having the work done at a Subaru dealership. It is at a shop that only works on Subarus.

The Subaru dealer never acknowledged an issue related with any of the symptoms that I gave them so they never explored it further than that. The transmission warranty was extended because of known issues, so I figure since I'm nearing the end of the warranty period, and the engine is going to get pulled out of the car anyway the labor cost would be way less than if the transmission decides to go out in the next 50,000 miles or whenever.
Yes, it's a second hand transmission with about 6,000 miles on it being mated up to a second hand engine with about the same mileage. Even though the transmission was functional, I'd rather bite the bullet now and spend the 1800 bucks on a replacement transmission instead of having to possibly spend at least twice that in a few years.

I guess you could say that I'm preemptively replacing it. I didn't like the idea of putting in a 6,000 mile engine and mating it to a 91,000 mi transmission. The patient is already on the table and opened up, so to speak. 😋.
I feel like I'm repeating myself a lot here in this thread. I guess just read back a bit if you have any more questions.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Impreza Sport Hatch
61 Posts
Not sure if I missed it browsing through here but did you ever change the fluid in the trans or just recently have it flushed? I noticed you said you just reached "9k miles" after a service so not sure if that's all you put on this car or if that's different.. I just passed my service date for having to change trans fluid but Ive been really busy and was just going to do it myself.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts