5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received my 10/100,000 extended warranty on my 17 Impreza. It also covers 16-17 Impreza, Outback/Legacy/Crosstrek, WRX and Forester. I wonder what kind of issues have come up with the CVT on the 17 Impreza vs the 18?

·
Premium Member
2017 Mazda CX-5 Sport
2,175 Posts
I got mine as well, certainly shows that Subaru has a major drive train issue on their hands.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Or for better marketing:
Subaru reports that no customer complaints or specific conditions are behind this warranty extension. Instead, Subaru reports that it wants to provide customers with added assurance regarding the reliability of the CVT assemblies.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Lets think about this for a moment..... WHY would a manufacturer extend a warantee on a product which is KNOWN to fail? This is a recipe to LOSE a lot of money. Lets not forget that there is ALREADY a warantee on that product.

It makes FARRRR more sense that, if it is determined that a product is more reliable, to go ahead a extend a warantee KNOWING it will not cost them a whole lot of money but may sway prospective buyers to purchase.

In the end, a manufacturer is in buisness to MAKE MONEY.... not to give away free warantees for products which are better left to die. (after their original warantee)

·
Premium Member
2017 Mazda CX-5 Sport
2,175 Posts
When new car makers come to the states (like Toyota and Hyundai) they offered huge warranties because consumers needed to learn to trust the new makers.

Maybe because many people are wary of the CVT Subaru is doing this warranty to make people trust them?

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Just got my letter today...15 years/150K miles

·
Registered
138 Posts
Ouch! Should have bought that 2017 model dealer was offering when I was buying mine in January ;-)

·
Banned
83 Posts
Ouch! Should have bought that 2017 model dealer was offering when I was buying mine in January ;-)
right!? Haha. I got mine in February and they didn’t have any base models on the lot. I bet they will do the same for 2018-2019 models in a year or so.

·
Administrator
772 Posts
When new car makers come to the states (like Toyota and Hyundai) they offered huge warranties because consumers needed to learn to trust the new makers.

Maybe because many people are wary of the CVT Subaru is doing this warranty to make people trust them?
This was my concern prior to buying my first Subaru.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I was confused when I saw this as well. Good to know it isn't just a fluke. I will admit, I almost bought a Toyota Avalon v6 over this car because of the CVT, but I did like the track record Subaru has with their cars and plus a lot of family friends can back that up. I'm still content with my purchase, but even more so with this pleasant surprise.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi. Just joined the forum. 3 imprezas in my driveway. 2-2018s and 1-2016.
I know that this forum is for 5th gen but I think that this information is pertinent to the discussion.
We experienced a catastrophic CVT transmission failure at 33,000 miles as I was backing my bride's 2016 out of the driveway.
It sounded like the car was coming apart and every light on the dash lit up.
#1-I am fortunate to have survived the ordeal as this was my better half's baby and I happened to be the one in the driver's seat when it decided to fly to pieces.
#2-Subaru is not giving anyone an extended warranty out their love for us. They are trying to get out in front of a class action lawsuit to show that they recognized the problem and extended the warranty to cover any occurrence that would happen in its expected life span.
#3-Our local Subaru dealership treated us very well and Subaru furnished a brand new Forrester for amount of time that it took to complete the repairs.
#4-This failure did not dissuade the family from buying new Subarus. Just last month, I bought a base impreza sedan and my daughter bought a 5 door impreza ( all on the same day).
Just wanted to weigh in this as we have experience this first hand.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Got mine too. It makes me wonder what the real story is. 10 years / 100,000 miles. I left Toyota after 30 years, my last car had to replace the battery 4 times in 4.5 years. I am somewhat concerned about this; I really love this car. I'm hoping I don't have an issue.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi. Just joined the forum. 3 imprezas in my driveway. 2-2018s and 1-2016.
I know that this forum is for 5th gen but I think that this information is pertinent to the discussion.
We experienced a catastrophic CVT transmission failure at 33,000 miles as I was backing my bride's 2016 out of the driveway.
It sounded like the car was coming apart and every light on the dash lit up.
#1-I am fortunate to have survived the ordeal as this was my better half's baby and I happened to be the one in the driver's seat when it decided to fly to pieces.
#2-Subaru is not giving anyone an extended warranty out their love for us. They are trying to get out in front of a class action lawsuit to show that they recognized the problem and extended the warranty to cover any occurrence that would happen in its expected life span.
#3-Our local Subaru dealership treated us very well and Subaru furnished a brand new Forrester for amount of time that it took to complete the repairs.
#4-This failure did not dissuade the family from buying new Subarus. Just last month, I bought a base impreza sedan and my daughter bought a 5 door impreza ( all on the same day).
Just wanted to weigh in this as we have experience this first hand.
These CVT failures are so infrequent I doubt Subaru is anticipating a class action lawsuit

·
Registered
257 Posts
Wait... did anybody here purchase the extended warranty already? I did. Does that mean my extended warranty is extended?
This is what im confused on. I have the 5 year 80k 0 deductible anyway

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Wait... did anybody here purchase the extended warranty already? I did. Does that mean my extended warranty is extended?
All depends on how you look at it...you get the following:

10 year/100K miles warranty of the CVT
If you bought an extended warranty, and your purchased warranty is less than 100K miles of coverage (say a 5/80), your CVT will be warranted UP TO 100K miles or 10 years.

Very simple:wink2:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts