5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 Mazda CX-5 Sport
2,168 Posts
Serious question; I bought the extended 6 year warranty, do you think I should cancel it?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I must be lucky. I know lots of Subaru owners and none of them have ever had a single problem. If you ever get a chance to ride a Snowmobile you will realize just how much potential a CVT has. Instant peak power at any speed is a lot of fun. Just remember, people hated fuel injection at one time and ABS brakes when they first came out.

·
Premium Member
2017 Mazda CX-5 Sport
2,168 Posts
I must be lucky. I know lots of Subaru owners and none of them have ever had a single problem. If you ever get a chance to ride a Snowmobile you will realize just how much potential a CVT has. Instant peak power at any speed is a lot of fun. Just remember, people hated fuel injection at one time and ABS brakes when they first came out.
I like my CVT a LOT, much better than a regular automatic tranny. But, they are relatively new and I was concerned that it might have problems, that is why I got the extended warranty.

·
Administrator
772 Posts
Serious question; I bought the extended 6 year warranty, do you think I should cancel it?
I wouldn't...unless you don't plan on keeping the car for that period of time. I'm on the fence about adding an extended warranty strictly based on the infotainment issues.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'm going to call monday and ask if I get an extended extended warranty on the CVT now.

·
Registered
257 Posts
All depends on how you look at it...you get the following:

10 year/100K miles warranty of the CVT
If you bought an extended warranty, and your purchased warranty is less than 100K miles of coverage (say a 5/80), your CVT will be warranted UP TO 100K miles or 10 years.

Very simple:wink2:
meh still weak. Thats only 20k extra protection on it should be 10/150 if you got an extended. They probably just know the probability of failure is high after 100k and costs would go up

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Not "weak" at all @hockeykid53. With all of the technology in these cars...infotainment, ES, etc...to me, personally, I would never not buy the extended warranty. My purchase of the warranty actually had ZERO to do with the CVT and was all about the tech items in the car. Remember that the extended Gold Plus is an extension of your 3/36 bumper to bumper and, IMPO, the cost is negligible and can be spread out over 10 months interest free to help make it more affordable to those that cannot afford the initial lump sum payment.

Reactions: hockeykid53

·
Registered
232 Posts
Actually the CVT isn't a new idea, they have been around many years. I know DAF used them in the
1950's. This link provides some information on CVT use and development.

Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) (Automobile)

Regarding extended warranties, I never buy them after and experience with a 1982 Toyota. I had a
transmission leak and the extended warranty would not cover it. It was a Toyota warranty. I cancelled the warranty and got almost nothing back.

Since that experience I have owned probably around 20 new vehicles, never have any problem that
would have been covered by an extended warranty.

I offer this solution for a extended warranty, figure out the monthly extra cost of the warranty and
open a savings account, add each monthly payment to the account. You will soon have enough
in the account to cover any problem you may have.

It's not a silly idea, do you think the dealers are seling you a warranty that is a loss to their bottom line.

Clifton

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
An extended warranty is like life insurance? You may die...you may not. Your car may break down after the warranty...it may not. To me, this is cheap insurance and I have needed it in the past. To each their own.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Not "weak" at all @hockeykid53. With all of the technology in these cars...infotainment, ES, etc...to me, personally, I would never not buy the extended warranty. My purchase of the warranty actually had ZERO to do with the CVT and was all about the tech items in the car. Remember that the extended Gold Plus is an extension of your 3/36 bumper to bumper and, IMPO, the cost is negligible and can be spread out over 10 months interest free to help make it more affordable to those that cannot afford the initial lump sum payment.

The warranty extension especially with the deal you got us all is amazing and it does cover ALOT more then jst the CVT so can't complain about that, but if I had kept my original Gold warranty I paid 2500 for with $100 deductible with the 100k warranty I wouldn't be very happy to see one of the most expensive and integral parts of the vehicle covered for the same amount of time for free because of known issues. It's nice they extended it but anyone who already purchased the full bumper to bumper plan should get 20-30k extra coverage on the CVT added to their 100k warranty. It negates part of the value you paid for your full warranty, sure you get EVERYTHING covered but part of the premium you pay to extend it is CVT coverage and losing that by giving everyone 100k on it negates part of the value. Obviously with the deal we got its minimal so doesn't matter but to the common extended warranty purchaser who isn't so lucky they lost out a bit.

Thank you again for the plug with luke we all owe you big for that

·
Registered
135 Posts
Just received the 10/100,000 extended CVT warranty on our 17 Forester.
We have already had the 'bad battery' and 'alignment' (dealer found during their safety inspection) problems with this vehicle. Today was an AC failure and required a condenser replacement.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just received the 10/100,000 extended CVT warranty on our 17 Forester.
We have already had the 'bad battery' and 'alignment' (dealer found during their safety inspection) problems with this vehicle. Today was an AC failure and required a condenser replacement.
What do you mean "alignment"? We had an alignment issue right off the bat and they realigned the car for free. As I look back on this, I realize that they downplayed the alignment issue. What is up with this?

·
Registered
135 Posts
What do you mean "alignment"? We had an alignment issue right off the bat and they realigned the car for free. As I look back on this, I realize that they downplayed the alignment issue. What is up with this?
The dealer said there was an alignment problem when car went in for Oil Change/Tire Rotation and you get One Free Alignment. If the problem persists it will be Lemon Law...
My wife likes the vehicle but not happy with the 'problems' so far, even if it's under warranty.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Got a letter today regarding my 2018 Impreza CVT. 10 years/100000 miles. The letter said it applied to all 2018 Subaru models.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Got a letter today regarding my 2018 Impreza CVT. 10 years/100000 miles. The letter said it applied to all 2018 Subaru models.
We got one for our Forester that said 2016/2017, and today one for the Impreza that said 2018.
It's nice it's 10/100000 as I usually rack up the miles fast, last car killed the 3/36k before the first year was up.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts