5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2017, premium
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
I have good news for everyone. I just swaped my premium (small, mono color display) behind the steering wheel to colored one - i saw on this forum that this operation could not be done due to plug and wire. Operation for now was plug&play. After cluster change we need to code immobilizer first - without it car doesn't start, then we need to synchronize mileage with old one (or not - it's up to your conscience but it's not required for the car to function properly. All systems and diagnostic software including Subaru Select Monitor read the mileage from the odometer). I made immo programming at my own (i have ssm3 and ssm4). Cluster was disassembled from impreza with EyeSight system so i have all system errors due to EyeSight system. For now i don't know why "at oil temp" indicatior lights is on. I also don't have 3 control buttons on steeering wheel - i ordered it yesterday and waiting for delivery :D I made about 100km with new cluster and except EyeSight system and at oil temp error i dont have any other issues&errors. If anyone know how i can disabled EyeSight system programatically in ecu or cluster - please let me know.

This thread will be updated when i will receive new steeringwheel. I also will make more photos, for manual to other forum user.

After i change display behind steering wheel and stering wheel with 3 control butons for it i want to change mu manual a/c for auto version. For A/c change i will need change display on central dash - so I will let you know about my futher mod, cause i think many of you will be interested in it.

To make new cluster work without errors I will need documentation for it (for new and old cluster) if anyone have some wiring schemas, picture or any docs which could help me, please let me know in this thread.

On attached photo i mark on red - error that i dont know why it's on and on green errors due to eyesight system.
Below you can find instruction on how to code immo - i used this instruction to code mine and it's work.
immo link

Speedometer Odometer Tachometer Trip computer Gauge
Speedometer Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Gauge
Speedometer Vehicle Car Odometer Steering part
Speedometer Odometer Tachometer Trip computer Gauge

·
Registered
2017 Impreza 5DR Limited (CVT) w/ES & NAV
59 Posts
Is your car a manual or CVT? The "AT oil temp" is a warning for high Automatic Transmission Oil Temperature, If you have a manual it's showing the error because there is no transmission oil temp sensor for the system to read.

·
Registered
2017, premium
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a cvt transmission. I had this at oil temp light on old cluster and changed it today to old one. The oil temp light is turn off, so I think there is some change in wire and signal from old cluster wire doesn't work with the new one. Later I will check with ssm which dtc code it thrown.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a base Impreza and just got an instrument cluster, multi-function display (AutoHarnessHouse made an adapter for the MFD) and steering wheel from a Sport model without eyesight.

When changing the cluster, I am also getting the AT Oil Temp warning light.

The MFD is the biggest head scratcher because the Sport model will not power on at all and worse, just plugging in the Sport MFD with nothing else causes something to try to turn on in the engine bay as soon as I reconnect the battery. The full color MFD has a USB connection on the back (like the USB connectors on the radio) where as the base MFD does not have the port. My next step is to try to figure out if that USB has to be plugged in to something to work.

The Sport steering wheel went in just fine however the 3 display buttons did not change the cluster display at all (and the MFD never powering on means I can't test it there.

All this leads me to believe that there is something else needed to make the full color cluster, MFD and steering wheel controls to function. Whether it needs to be an ECU swap or something else (I have seen listings for "telemetrics" units and possibly the Starlink radio could be needed) still needs to be figured out.

·
Registered
2017, premium
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a base Impreza and just got an instrument cluster, multi-function display (AutoHarnessHouse made an adapter for the MFD) and steering wheel from a Sport model without eyesight.

When changing the cluster, I am also getting the AT Oil Temp warning light.

The MFD is the biggest head scratcher because the Sport model will not power on at all and worse, just plugging in the Sport MFD with nothing else causes something to try to turn on in the engine bay as soon as I reconnect the battery. The full color MFD has a USB connection on the back (like the USB connectors on the radio) where as the base MFD does not have the port. My next step is to try to figure out if that USB has to be plugged in to something to work.

The Sport steering wheel went in just fine however the 3 display buttons did not change the cluster display at all (and the MFD never powering on means I can't test it there.

All this leads me to believe that there is something else needed to make the full color cluster, MFD and steering wheel controls to function. Whether it needs to be an ECU swap or something else (I have seen listings for "telemetrics" units and possibly the Starlink radio could be needed) still needs to be figured out.
Hey,
Pm me i will send you service manual for 2017+impreza maybe you will find something which may help you. My upgraded cluster is from EyeSight version, so i needed to reprogramming it. Once i do it i will check sterring wheel witrh 3 display button. My cluster have option MFD - normal on upgraded (set to this), so supose upgraded is color one, maybe yours have this option set to normal one and thats why mfd don't working?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Preliminary research shows that the AT Oil Temp light is triggered differently between the B/W cluster and the color cluster. I don't know yet what the "Shift Register" is or how it operates because it exists as a named part that controls other functions in both clusters. I suspect that any Impreza that has the color cluster also has paddle shifters which leads me to think that this might be signaled by the TCM. Subaru lists only one transmission but 2 different TCMs which leads me to believe that one TCM had manual mode while the other doesn't. There could be a whole lot more to this though than simply changing the TCM. I can't test further until I get the immobilizer reprogrammed in the color cluster I have.

The color MFD right off the bat has 4 fuses in the fuse box whereas my base only had fuses in 2 of the 4 slots. The red circles below show where the manual lists MFD/Combination Meter (gauge cluster) fuses for the color MFD that were not installed in my car. This still wasn't enough to get the MFD to turn on however I didn't have the color cluster installed because I need to have the Immobilizer reprogrammed. I believe the MFD, cluster and steering wheel switches all need to be installed together in order for it to function.

Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Pattern

·
Registered
2017, premium
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Preliminary research shows that the AT Oil Temp light is triggered differently between the B/W cluster and the color cluster. I don't know yet what the "Shift Register" is or how it operates because it exists as a named part that controls other functions in both clusters. I suspect that any Impreza that has the color cluster also has paddle shifters which leads me to think that this might be signaled by the TCM. Subaru lists only one transmission but 2 different TCMs which leads me to believe that one TCM had manual mode while the other doesn't. There could be a whole lot more to this though than simply changing the TCM. I can't test further until I get the immobilizer reprogrammed in the color cluster I have.

View attachment 26076

The color MFD right off the bat has 4 fuses in the fuse box whereas my base only had fuses in 2 of the 4 slots. The red circles below show where the manual lists MFD/Combination Meter (gauge cluster) fuses for the color MFD that were not installed in my car. This still wasn't enough to get the MFD to turn on however I didn't have the color cluster installed because I need to have the Immobilizer reprogrammed. I believe the MFD, cluster and steering wheel switches all need to be installed together in order for it to function.

View attachment 26077
Do you have a manual transmission? I have CVT and "AT oil lamp" is blinking too. In my opinion there is some differences in ECM module - one of them sending AT temp directly to cluster and one of them sending At temp thru shift register. Within 2 weeks i hope i will get dumb files for cluster which allow me to reprogram his eeprom chip after it i will check ECM module due to AT oil temp light blinking. The color one MFD is not required to make sterring wheel with 3 additional buttons on left side working. I saw imprezas without colored MFD and with color instrumental cluster.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Do you have a manual transmission? I have CVT and "AT oil lamp" is blinking too. In my opinion there is some differences in ECM module - one of them sending AT temp directly to cluster and one of them sending At temp thru shift register. Within 2 weeks i hope i will get dumb files for cluster which allow me to reprogram his eeprom chip after it i will check ECM module due to AT oil temp light blinking.
I have a CVT without paddle shifters. I want to try changing out the TCM first. It may also require the color cluster because I'm not sure the B/W cluster could display the gear numbers for those with paddle shifters since the base only does D-L. There are only 2 TCM parts per model year for the CVT so I'm hopeful just changing the TCM will unlock not just the correct warning lights but also the paddle shift manual mode. While it seems most information runs through the CAN-BUS communication, there are connections that go between the radio, nav, mfd, cluster, telematics, eyesight, directly. It may be that a the cluster must get a special signal sent by the TCM that is then read from the ECU in order to put it in the correct reading mode.

The color one MFD is not required to make sterring wheel with 3 additional buttons on left side working. I saw imprezas without colored MFD and with color instrumental cluster.
I've seen the same but I have never seen a car with a color MFD with B/W cluster. This is more my own work trying to also change the MFD to the color one as well as the cluster. It seems that the color MFD can't work without the color cluster. That makes me think that other systems in the car may be tied to each other which is what I'm trying to figure out with the manuals.

·
Registered
2017, premium
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a CVT without paddle shifters. I want to try changing out the TCM first. It may also require the color cluster because I'm not sure the B/W cluster could display the gear numbers for those with paddle shifters since the base only does D-L. There are only 2 TCM parts per model year for the CVT so I'm hopeful just changing the TCM will unlock not just the correct warning lights but also the paddle shift manual mode. While it seems most information runs through the CAN-BUS communication, there are connections that go between the radio, nav, mfd, cluster, telematics, eyesight, directly. It may be that a the cluster must get a special signal sent by the TCM that is then read from the ECU in order to put it in the correct reading mode.

I've seen the same but I have never seen a car with a color MFD with B/W cluster. This is more my own work trying to also change the MFD to the color one as well as the cluster. It seems that the color MFD can't work without the color cluster. That makes me think that other systems in the car may be tied to each other which is what I'm trying to figure out with the manuals.
I have the b/w cluster with paddle shifter and it's show gear number for manual mode. I found on internet that cluster should be reprogrammed to property option code of carbbut even after reprogramming it the AT oil lamp blinking.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the b/w cluster with paddle shifter and it's show gear number for manual mode. I found on internet that cluster should be reprogrammed to property option code of carbbut even after reprogramming it the AT oil lamp blinking.
That's good information to have. That tells us that it likely isn't the TCM causing the error. In my testing with the color MFD with B/W cluster, after putting in the missing fuses, my car had a transmission error code (I believe it was a communication error) that I was able to clear and didn't come back with the B/W MFD even keeping the fuses in. Take a look at your fuse panel inside the car and see if you are also missing the indicated fuses above and try out some 7.5 amp fuses. I'm trying to find it again but the service manual show both MFD and Combination Meter (cluster) as using those fuses. Maybe the color cluster needs those fuses to energize something that reads the TCM data in a different way.

There's also the possibility that the ECM needs to be changed in order to transmit correctly. I'm not familiar with how reprogramming the car works but according to Subaru Parts site, there are 4 different ECM part numbers per model year that have some overlap in models. It would be great if there was a resource that explained what was different between part numbers but I assume for dealerships and service centers they only replace like for like new parts so they have no reason to know that much detail of components.

·
Registered
2017, premium
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi all,
Good news for everyone :) I just finished changing operation from BW cluster to colored one. At oil temp light not blinking, every system work. I just drove about 50km and eveyrthing looks fine. Literally the most easy way to do upgrade from BW to color one is to desolder eeprom from bw one and solder it to color one. After many of hours sitting on eeprom chip and testing settings I decide to copy old eeprom to color cluster and run the car. Car start, every function worked, at oil temp not blinkig, no errors in SSM4. In atachments some photo of new color cluster just after eeprom copy.
Immo code of key is in cluster eeprom, so copy it and car will run - no worry about it.
Electronic engineering Auto part Air travel Display device Technology

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i Touring AKA BronzFoz
2 Posts
Hi all,
Good news for everyone :) I just finished changing operation from BW cluster to colored one. At oil temp light not blinking, every system work. I just drove about 50km and eveyrthing looks fine. Literally the most easy way to do upgrade from BW to color one is to desolder eeprom from bw one and solder it to color one. After many of hours sitting on eeprom chip and testing settings I decide to copy old eeprom to color cluster and run the car. Car start, every function worked, at oil temp not blinkig, no errors in SSM4. In atachments some photo of new color cluster just after eeprom copy.
Immo code of key is in cluster eeprom, so copy it and car will run - no worry about it. View attachment 26370
Wow! I'm amazed that it just works like that and it looks pretty easy too. Have any pictures of the final install?

·
Registered
2017, premium
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Wow! I'm amazed that it just works like that and it looks pretty easy too. Have any pictures of the final install?
Sure!
Sorry for delay in reply, but today I installed buttons for control new display :)

One remark for all who exchange displays - it is enough to solder eeprom memory and everything works fine. As for control buttons, you have to rebuild wire harness or whole steering wheel (operation of rebuilding wire harness and housing with cut-out for buttons took me about 1.5 hour). The only thing left is to program TPMS sensors. The only thing left was to program TPMS sensors. The secondary display is not working - it only shows temperature, time and average speed. The rest of the information that was available there is now on the main display between the clocks. When disassembling the counter, please pay attention to removing the clues (they must be removed perfectly vertically), otherwise it will be like in my case - they will get damaged and start jamming at random moments - I am working on fixing it, if I fail, I will change the counter and solder the memory again.
In the picture where you can see the plug I wanted to show the lack of one of the pins, in the plug from the steering wheel with buttons to the display this pin was there (purple).

I will add that the Subaru Select Monitor 4 software does not show any errors - everything works as in the original and it was plug&play.

In the next phase of modifications I would like to add additional color display and automatic air conditioning - you can support me through crypto - addresses in the footer.
Speedometer Gauge Tachometer Automotive lighting Vehicle

Attachments

Reactions: Subarik

·
Registered
2.0i 5D 5MT Silver
70 Posts
Hi,
Curious about doing this myself perhaps to the red "sport" meter as I'm not sure if the Premium cluster can support MT cars.

So if I understand correct, I simply desolder the eeprom from the my cluster and solder it to the new one? That's it? No other changes required? (I'm very proficient at soldering) I don't really care about having the buttons to control the display.

My car is MT, so I imagine the eeprom contains the data which tells the cluster the car config?

Lastly, do you have any advice for getting the needles off? Doesn't seem to be as simple as other brands.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2017, premium
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi,
Curious about doing this myself perhaps to the red "sport" meter.

So if I understand correct, I simply desolder the eeprom from the my cluster and solder it to the new one? That's it? No other changes required? (I'm very proficient at soldering) I don't really care about having the buttons to control the display.

My car is MT, so I imagine the eeprom contains the data which tells the cluster the car config?

Lastly, do you have any advice for getting the needles off? Doesn't seem to be as simple as other brands.

Thanks in advance!
That's correct. The only thing you need to do is desolder eeprom from old cluster and solder it to the new one - eeprom have car config inside, immo key code, mileage. Needles must be removed perfectly vertically in other way you will broke and they will laggy and dont work properly.So you should do this with some kind of tool (similar to the one from removing car wipers) that supports the sides and lever the pointer perfectly upwards. They must not be tilted to the side.

Reactions: Octal450

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i Touring AKA BronzFoz
2 Posts
Hi,
Curious about doing this myself perhaps to the red "sport" meter as I'm not sure if the Premium cluster can support MT cars.

Thanks in advance!
For removing the needles, I suggest turning them counterclockwise while applying light pulling pressure as they come out much easier that that way at least on the previous SJ/VA clusters.

·
Registered
2.0i 5D 5MT Silver
70 Posts
Hi, Thanks very much!
Then I think I will gamble that the white premium one will still support my MT car if I make this change... hopefully the processor for the screen is the same between the Sport and Premium/Limited clusters and just works... if not I'll return it and buy a Sport and perhaps mod the LEDs to white... I really like the white.

Thanks for the suggestion @Franku. I've seen someone do that on a WRX cluster also, I'm still a little weary...

@Napinaczkamil do you have a link to such a tool? I've done some Googling but not found much.

·
Registered
2.0i 5D 5MT Silver
70 Posts
Oh boy... what I've been through ...

I pulled my cluster to see if I could get the needles off without breaking it, used the analog MPG gauge to try it. The twisting method pulled up the shaft. I caught it and pushed it back but too late. It was binding and not correct.

Hour and a half later, I managed to get it working properly again without twitching when the key turned on/off, jittering, binding etc, here is what I did on the final and working attempt:

• Remove the shaft fully with needlenose pliers
  • Push the shaft slightly in and rotate gently, you should be able to feel it turning until the "stops" can be felt at the maximum and minimum position
  • Gently turn the shaft all the way counterclockwise to the "stop"
  • Use a small round tool to push the needle all the way in, some force will be needed but beware not to break it, you will feel it "snap" a bit
  • I pushed mine too far in on this attempt, if that is done, pull the shaft up slightly with needlenose, it will "give" slightly

When working, the needle should move like this: needle
Notice, that when the needle is at its "stop", it is fully in the down position, the car will move it to the "-" when you turn key, tach and speed don't, so the "stop" should be at "0". Also notice how it magnetically goes into various "detents" and turns effortlessly, that is how it must feel to be correct.

Here he is working: drive

Funny little thing, when the car moves it to the "+", its actually better aligned now then from the factory... LMAO.

@Napinaczkamil maybe you can fix your motors this way. I'm going to sleep on this and decide tomorrow if I want to just buy the cluster or not.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts