5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2.0i 5D 5MT Silver
164 Posts
Success! Got it working, I'll upload pics/videos later. Thanks @Napinaczkamil for the info, just had to swap EEPROM :)
As suspected, this cluster recognize my manual car no problem, even tho the white cluster never came with MT.

Here is the EEPROM on the multicolor cluster for anyone who needs to know:
Circuit component Passive circuit component Green Hardware programmer Electronic engineering

Be sufficient with drag soldering for best result :)
Circuit component Product Green Hardware programmer Passive circuit component

On the B/W cluster:
Passive circuit component Circuit component Green Resistor Hardware programmer

·
Registered
2.0i 5D 5MT Silver
164 Posts

·
Registered
2017, premium
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Got my video edited, maybe it helps you repair your cluster @Napinaczkamil :)

Cluster still working great a whole day of driving later
I just finished fixing the meter. Unfortunately in my case, both motors were damaged enough that I had to solder them from the old Black-White meter. Now everything works and looks great :) What will be our next upgrade? I am dreaming about automatic air conditioning.

Reactions: Octal450

·
Registered
2.0i 5D 5MT Silver
164 Posts
@Napinaczkamil Ah, well glad everything works now for you!
Would you mind sharing if you have to order any other parts to add the steering wheel controls? Or does the buttons just attach to the steering wheel. Can you provide more details on what you had to change on the harness?

I also want to see color MFD :D

·
Registered
2017, premium
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
@Napinaczkamil Ah, well glad everything works now for you!
Would you mind sharing if you have to order any other parts to add the steering wheel controls? Or does the buttons just attach to the steering wheel. Can you provide more details on what you had to change on the harness?

I also want to see color MFD :D
To control the display in the meter you need 3 buttons on the left side of the steering wheel. The difference in parts is the wire in the plug from the steering wheel - the empty space between the yellow and white wires. In the steering wheel I bought as a parts donor this wire was there and that is all that is needed for the control. One wire and buttons, everything else is there. Due to the fact that I bought the steering wheel in bad condition, I decided to re-wire the wiring and buttons. If you find a steering wheel in good condition you can change the whole steering wheel.
Hand tool Pliers Wood Snips Wire stripper

Reactions: Octal450

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sure!
Sorry for delay in reply, but today I installed buttons for control new display :)

One remark for all who exchange displays - it is enough to solder eeprom memory and everything works fine. As for control buttons, you have to rebuild wire harness or whole steering wheel (operation of rebuilding wire harness and housing with cut-out for buttons took me about 1.5 hour). The only thing left is to program TPMS sensors. The only thing left was to program TPMS sensors. The secondary display is not working - it only shows temperature, time and average speed. The rest of the information that was available there is now on the main display between the clocks. When disassembling the counter, please pay attention to removing the clues (they must be removed perfectly vertically), otherwise it will be like in my case - they will get damaged and start jamming at random moments - I am working on fixing it, if I fail, I will change the counter and solder the memory again.
In the picture where you can see the plug I wanted to show the lack of one of the pins, in the plug from the steering wheel with buttons to the display this pin was there (purple).

I will add that the Subaru Select Monitor 4 software does not show any errors - everything works as in the original and it was plug&play.

In the next phase of modifications I would like to add additional color display and automatic air conditioning - you can support me through crypto - addresses in the footer.
View attachment 26401
I'm doing this swap as well. What all did you have to do in order to get the steering wheel buttons working? i ordered a new steering wheel with the correct harness but when i plugged it in the gauge cluster buttons do nothing. do i need to add wires somewhere?

·
Registered
2017, premium
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Like i wrote in one of my previous posts. I have to swap wire from steering wheel with color display to mine stering wheel. The onlny difference i saw is the one wire in the plug. No other modification was needed in my case. Steering wheel buttons works as charm.

Sure!
Sorry for delay in reply, but today I installed buttons for control new display :)

One remark for all who exchange displays - it is enough to solder eeprom memory and everything works fine. As for control buttons, you have to rebuild wire harness or whole steering wheel (operation of rebuilding wire harness and housing with cut-out for buttons took me about 1.5 hour). The only thing left is to program TPMS sensors. The only thing left was to program TPMS sensors. The secondary display is not working - it only shows temperature, time and average speed. The rest of the information that was available there is now on the main display between the clocks. When disassembling the counter, please pay attention to removing the clues (they must be removed perfectly vertically), otherwise it will be like in my case - they will get damaged and start jamming at random moments - I am working on fixing it, if I fail, I will change the counter and solder the memory again.
In the picture where you can see the plug I wanted to show the lack of one of the pins, in the plug from the steering wheel with buttons to the display this pin was there (purple).

I will add that the Subaru Select Monitor 4 software does not show any errors - everything works as in the original and it was plug&play.

In the next phase of modifications I would like to add additional color display and automatic air conditioning - you can support me through crypto - addresses in the footer.
Hand tool Pliers Wood Snips Wire stripper

Did you change steering wheel or just swap wiring as me? Try to change steering wheel. Below you can find link to my OneDrive and service manual for 2017+ impreza, You should look at it and check wiring, cluster chapter maybe there are some difference and will be needed some other wire or fuse in some case?

2017+ service manual

·
Registered
4 Posts
Like i wrote in one of my previous posts. I have to swap wire from steering wheel with color display to mine stering wheel. The onlny difference i saw is the one wire in the plug. No other modification was needed in my case. Steering wheel buttons works as charm.

View attachment 26920

Did you change steering wheel or just swap wiring as me? Try to change steering wheel. Below you can find link to my OneDrive and service manual for 2017+ impreza, You should look at it and check wiring, cluster chapter maybe there are some difference and will be needed some other wire or fuse in some case?

2017+ service manual
Mines a base model so it never had those buttons. Did you have the buttons previously or was it something you added? I swapped in my steering wheel that had the color gauge buttons with the harness. I just got the whole steering wheel but no luck on the buttons working. sorry if I seem like I don't know what im talking about. This is my first time messing with these kind of things

·
Registered
2.0i 5D 5MT Silver
164 Posts
I'm doing research on this right now. I think @Napinaczkamil is saying you only need to add the one missing wire from the connector to the buttons? I'm trying to find the p/n of the harness so I can look at it.

·
Registered
2.0i 5D 5MT Silver
164 Posts
Just a heads up to anyone doing this.

The "fancy" clusters inner circles are made from some super sensitive material. I opened mine to remove some dust and my finger accidently went over the surface on the inner ring of the tach and now there's a mark. I am afraid to try and clean it as it seems that material takes marks super easy.

I'll just have to buy another and swap the face as its a bit ugly. But beware!

·
Registered
2022 Sport 5-Door
153 Posts
Just a heads up to anyone doing this.

The "fancy" clusters inner circles are made from some super sensitive material. I opened mine to remove some dust and my finger accidently went over the surface on the inner ring of the tach and now there's a mark. I am afraid to try and clean it as it seems that material takes marks super easy.

I'll just have to buy another and swap the face as its a bit ugly. But beware!
It could be oil from you finger that left residue, using a microfiber cloth or a q-tip with a miniscule amounto isopropyl could remove that. If you want to buy a whole other cluster, I'd try cleaning it a bit just to make sure I wouldn't spend so much on another cluster if I could potentially clean it. Worst case, I'd have to buy a new one, might as well see if I could salvage the original one.

·
Registered
2.0i 5D 5MT Silver
164 Posts
Unfortunately not. While that’s true for the glassy black around the gauges where the indicators are, the material inside the inner circles of the tach and speedo is some hypersensitive material. I actually bought a parts cluster a while ago for practice and spare parts before I knew the rubber glove trick to get the needles off without pulling the shaft out, and on there I tested this.

Any liquid whatsoever leaves permanent discoloration that are clearly visible.

I probably will just swap the faces and sell the old for parts to get a little of the money back. Luckily they’re not toooo expensive. Since mine is a 2020, any 2019 or 2020 face will fit from the same trim of cluster. The 17/18 have differences. I rather not swap my eeprom again haha.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts