5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
We had an Acura that developed dash pad flaws a few years back. It was made of foam and top coated with something to give it the final finish. The Acura dealership insisted on trying to have their person blend it and repair the top coating. Afterward it was worse than when we brought it in. The surface texture was now smooth in the problem spot area. After that, our dash pad ended up being replaced. Be aware that the Subaru dealership may also suggest blending the surface instead of replacing it. I personally won't go that route anymore with dash flaws.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks men, I will not going to give them a chance to fix it instead of replacing it.
Men, I have water leak on my fog lights after my car wash. I only had 2500 miles after March purchase, there are too many minor problems on this impreza. I m craving for a lemon and replace with something else now.

We had an Acura that developed dash pad flaws a few years back. It was made of foam and top coated with something to give it the final finish. The Acura dealership insisted on trying to have their person blend it and repair the top coating. Afterward it was worse than when we brought it in. The surface texture was now smooth in the problem spot area. After that, our dash pad ended up being replaced. Be aware that the Subaru dealership may also suggest blending the surface instead of replacing it. I personally won't go that route anymore with dash flaws.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My 01/17 impreza doesn't have the door rattles you guys are talking about, but when I take a turn, there's a sound like acorns rolling around knocking into plastic parts, about where the shifter is. It's very subtle.

·
Registered
118 Posts
My 01/17 impreza doesn't have the door rattles you guys are talking about, but when I take a turn, there's a sound like acorns rolling around knocking into plastic parts, about where the shifter is. It's very subtle.

Did you ever figure out what was causing this noise? I have a very simular noise in my car that just started 3 days ago. Every time I turn left and it seems only left turns I get a noise like what you are descibing. But my noise moves around, sometimes under the shifer ( CVT ), sometimes under the dash, sometime from the passenger side front of the car someware. I have checked everthing I can and half pulled apart my dashboard but I can not find anything loose or out of place.

·
Banned
21 Posts
I picked up a 2018 sport 5dr about 6 weeks ago. All sorts of rattles in the car. Here's a summary of has happened so far.

1. Dash Rattle/Vibration Behind Gauge Cluster
  2. Dash Rattle/Vibration forward/center near windshield
    For items 1 and 2 the car has been in twice. Once they couldn't hear it. The second time they took apart the top-center section of the dash, but couldn't fix and I needed the car back. I'll be dropping it off again next week for a few days where they will be taking out the gauge cluster and top-center section to work on it more.​
  3. Rattle from passenger side doors
    For this one I partially fixed it. Sometimes when a passenger exits the seatbelt doesn't come to its normally resting position and is twisted. Over bumps it will contact the plastic below the B pillar and sound like a rattle. Once straightened out no more issue. That being said I still think I hear something within the door panel, but that one is hard to reproduce and could be coming from the rear area.​
  4. Rattle from rear cargo area
    For item 4 the rod that you use to raise/lower the jack is not securely held in place in the storage thing for the spare tire. It was bouncing around in there and sounded like a rattle. One of the service techs put some foam tape in place that makes it a snug fit and that took care of that.​

I'll update on the dash rattle after they look at the car next week.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've had the car for a bit over a year and until now it was rattle free. Just around 13K I started to notice a bit of that "Dash Rattle/Vibration Behind Gauge Cluster" thing that was mentioned. It comes and goes....seems worse when I first start to drive and then goes away. I'll wait till the next oil change and see if I need to report it...but if anyone else has had success with their dealership I'd like to hear about it...thanks.

·
Banned
21 Posts
I'll update on the dash rattle after they look at the car next week.
They had the car for a day and half last week. According to the summary they took the dash and instrument panel apart and added foam tape in various locations. Not what I expected, and didn't fix it, so they'll be getting the car back this week or next week.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Funny you mention this, I get that from time to time but mostly in hotter weather and generally with a sharp turn although rarely just when accelerating somewhat briskly. It's not an every-time thing and for the longest time I thought it was something I had rolling around in the armrest cubby. Any luck figuring out what it is?

I've had the car for a bit over a year and until now it was rattle free. Just around 13K I started to notice a bit of that "Dash Rattle/Vibration Behind Gauge Cluster" thing that was mentioned. It comes and goes....seems worse when I first start to drive and then goes away. I'll wait till the next oil change and see if I need to report it...but if anyone else has had success with their dealership I'd like to hear about it...thanks.
I'm getting that as well, just around 11k now. My previous Subaru had several weather related rattles that subsided as the car warmed up. We're just starting to get cooler fall weather these past few weeks with it dipping in to the high 30s (but mostly 40s) from time to time. So far these seem to be behaving the same way, and if they're like some rattles that came and went in my 05 Legacy I'm wondering if they'll be transient. Maybe here this fall and then never to be heard from again.

We'll see what's happening by the time I take it in for service around December or January.

·
Banned
21 Posts
They've had my car three times now and haven't been able to fix these noises and they are driving me nuts. I found some threads here on obtaining the service manual docs. I'm going to give them one or two more chances and then I'm going to start taking parts of the dash off and drive it until I find out what is responsible for the noise.

·
Banned
21 Posts
So they ended up replacing my entire instrument console which did fix one of my noises. Fortunately it was the worst one. Once I have time it will be going back for them to try to fix the rest of the noises. Pretty ridiculous on a brand new car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Our 2018 Impreza 5 door is now 7 months old and 13000 kms plus. Has had a dash cluster rattle since new but has been getting louder on rougher roads or under acceleration. Starting to annoy me very much! Have talked to the dealer and naturally I'm the only guy they've sold one to that has complained. When I have time will take it in and hopefully they can fix it. Other than that and the seats not being so comfortable on longer trips, I am satisfied with the vehicle.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have found one dash rattle so far.... at the corner of the dash and the "A" pillar cover.
I pushed it and it went away for a while but has returned as the weather got warmer.
I'll shove something in there (foam or tape) and see how long it holds.

Here is a picture showing where it is:

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have found one dash rattle so far.... at the corner of the dash and the "A" pillar cover.
I pushed it and it went away for a while but has returned as the weather got warmer.
I'll shove something in there (foam or tape) and see how long it holds.

Here is a picture showing where it is:
could you give an update on your fix? did it help with the rattle?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, someone has fixed the dash rattle sounds? I have a 2018 Subaru Impreza HTB Sport and I am having that issue when that car has about 12,000 miles. Now the car has about 21,000 miles and still have the issue. I brought the car to the dealership, but they didn't find any issue. I'm tired to deal with that dealership because of other problems with them (they broke oil crank in the second oil change) and I will try to fix it by myself.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi, someone has fixed the dash rattle sounds? I have a 2018 Subaru Impreza HTB Sport and I am having that issue when that car has about 12,000 miles. Now the car has about 21,000 miles and still have the issue. I brought the car to the dealership, but they didn't find any issue. I'm tired to deal with that dealership because of other problems with them (they broke oil crank in the second oil change) and I will try to fix it by myself.
Can you describe your rattle? Where does it appear to come from? Do you hear it only when car is moving?

If it is the same as what I have - a very light rattling sound that appears to come from the center, I might have a potential fix for it - see Rear view mirror wire cover rattle and solution

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can you describe your rattle? Where does it appear to come from? Do you hear it only when car is moving?

If it is the same as what I have - a very light rattling sound that appears to come from the center, I might have a potential fix for it - see Rear view mirror wire cover rattle and solution
Hi, I hear the rattle only when the car is moving. It is like some loose plastic rattling that comes from the dash (behind the instrument panel). There is another louder rattling sound that comes from the dash too, but that is from the left corner of the dash (where the tweeter speaker is) and sounds like some metal rattling (this rattling noise doesn't sound always, maybe depends on the temperature of the dash). I'm going to verify if it is the same problems as you had, but I don't think so, because the plastic rattling noise stops if I put some pressure on the dash.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts