5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've wired up a dashcam to my 2018 Impreza without Eyesight or a powered mirror, by tapping the powered mirror plug that's in all Impreza's (rather than going down all the way to the fuse box). It's only powered when the vehicle is in ACC or ON. Hope this information helps someone.

1. Remove the ceiling console as per the PDF for the H501SSG200/H501SSG300 kit (steps 5-9 for vehicles with eyesight, steps 5 and 10-11 for vehicles without). Note: for vehicle without eyesight, after removing the screws on step 11, you pull down on the back edge (towards the rear of the vehicle), which is held on by two clips. I've attached screenshots of these steps.

2. Locate the unconnected wire connector (see pic). It's 5 pins. From the orientation shown, going from left to right, the 2nd pin is ground, 3rd pin is 12V. This is what I tap for 12V power. Depending on your application, you could use the 12V power directly, or if your device is USB powered, you'd have to attach to a power converter. I tapped it using a molex female terminal and wrapping it in electrical tape to keep it isolated from the other pins.

3. Route the tapped power through the front headliner down to the mirror if that's where you want to install the dashcam/radar detector. That's where I did.

Reinstall.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just added a new Uniden R1 radar detector (figured a new car should have a new modern radar detector). I tried to find switched power in the headliner console, but didn't have any luck. There's a real easy "always on" source, but I knew it would only be a matter of time until I'd return to my car to find a dead battery.

So I ran one wire down to the fusebox and it was easy and is completely hidden. The wire stays above the headliner then is hidden by a rubber seal on the A-pillar. I added a fuse tap (with a 2 amp fuse) to power my detector and to trigger the relay for my new PIAA fog lights. A small length of RJ11 power cable sticks out enough from the headliner console to power the detector. I placed the detector under the console (with a "custom made" bracket) but it's partially obscured by the mirror. I wanted it to be hidden from passers-by and protected from the sun. It still seems to work pretty well.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I have had an R3 for about a year and it's the BEST radar detector on the market. You'll love your R1.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was originally going to run a wire down to the fuse box, but tapping the switched power via the plug intended for the auto-dimming and homelink mirror seemed to be easier.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm thinking of installing both a dash cam and radar detector soon. I have the HomeLink mirror though so I guess the power wiring is already in use. I wonder if it's safe to somehow tap that wire anyways or if it will mess up the mirror electronics. I guess I'll probably just run a new wire down to the fusebox and use a fuse tap like already mentioned.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have been wondering if there was power in there that I can use! Thanks for doing the work for me :) Do you have pictures of the dashcam btw?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Is the 12v power in the plug (pin 3)constant or switched? I only want switched as I only want driving mode with the cam, not parking.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts