5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Sorry I only mentioned the 12 pt because a friend, who should have been smart enough to know better, destroyed some 12 pt nuts before he realized that a 6 pt was not going to work.
That is almost as bad as using a #2 phillips screwdriver on a JIS screwhead. (A sure way to 'cam out' the JIS screwhwead)

ALL the screwheads on a Subaru are JIS (Japanese Industrial Standards)...NONE of them are "Phillips".

·
Registered
1 Posts
I didn't think I had to have 2 or 3 paragraphs detailing all the obvious exceptions.
Point still stands, don't use 12 point sockets on 6 point bolts/nuts. Don't buy cheap tools.
New member. My first Subaru. My first post on this forum. I've been a licensed mechanic for 35 years.
I agree don't buy cheap tools. A 12 point socket can add versatility. It doesn't equate to cheap. But it as well as any other socket needs to be used correctly. My spline drive 12 point sockets are my first go to choice in almost every application. None of them are cheap and none put any pressure on the corners of any fastener.
Any fastener can be destroyed by any improperly used socket. And a fastener can be properly removed with an appropriately used correctly sized socket.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts