5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Swapping the LED headlights onto the lower trim level models is something many of us want to do Past mods have involved splicing into the wiring harness, which requires you to cut the wiring harness on both your vehicle and the headlight. I'm not a fan of that. I therefore decided to find the parts to make an adapter harness that is waterproof, just like the factory connectors. Figured I'd also compile all the knowledge we have already as well.

General Overview:
The Base, Premium, and Sport Impreza use an 8 pin plug to connect from the body harness to the halogen headlight harness. Only 7 pins are populated in this plug:​
  1. Low Beam Positive
  2. Low Beam Ground
  3. DRL Positive
  4. DRL and Turn Signal Negative
  5. Turn Signal Positive
  6. High Beam Positive
  7. High Beam Negative
The 8th spot is blocked off from the factory and not used (circle with the X through it).​
The Limited Impreza uses a 16 pin plug to connect from the body harness to the LED headlight harness with only 15 pins populated (16th is blocked off from the factory and not used - again circle with the X through it). Only 8 of these pins are used to power the low beam, high beam, DRL, and turn signal (one more than the lower trim levels). They are:​
  1. Low Beam Positive
  2. Low Beam Ground
  3. DRL Positive
  5. Turn Signal Positive
  6. High Beam Positive
  7. High Beam Negative
  8. DRL Bright Positive
So 7 of these 8 wires are exactly the same between models, which means they just need to be connected to each other (connect 1 to 1, 2 to 2, etc). That 8th wire is thankfully just a 12V positive for the C-light, and can come from almost anywhere (discussed more below).​
C-Lights:
If you don't connect this 8th wire on the LED headlight, you will get things like the C-light always staying dim except for when the headlights are on (meaning they aren't working correctly as your DRL) and the C-light blinking when the turn signal is activated. Neither are proper behavior, and not having correctly working DRLs is illegal in some locations. Some have reported blown fuses with this 8th wiring missing as well.​
For Sport Trim levels, this is easy - that 8th wire should tap into the positive wire of the LED lights in your bumper. This will result in completely correct factory behavior of the C-Lights because the C-lights will be controlled with your bumper LED DRLs:​
  • The C-lights will be dim when headlights are off and the car is in park
  • When shifted into D with headlights off, the C-Light will turn on to max brightness to serve as your DRL
  • If headlights are on, the C-light will be on max brightness
  • When using the turn signal, you will not get any blinking of the C-light.
For Base/Premium, you can connect the 8th wire to any 12V positive keyed source (a power source that is only active when the key is turned to accessory power or when the car is running). However, this means the C-lights will always be bright. The advantage is your DRL will be bright and legal and you will not get any blinking of the C-light when the turn signal is activated. The down side is that the C-lights will never dim when the car is in park and headlights are off. This is a small trade off. The alternative is to try to find a 12V source that is switched on when you place the vehicle in Drive and tap this 8th wire into that. If anyone finds a good source for this on Base/Premium trim levels, let me know and I can update this guide.​

Steering Responsive (SR) and Self Leveling (SL):
The other 7 pins on the 16 Pin LED headlight plug are used to control the SR and SL systems. If installing the LED headlights on a non-Limited model, the steering responsive and self leveling parts of the headlight will not work (nothing to input to the headlight from these vehicles). The LED headlights default to their neutral position (horizontally and vertically) when not powered, and do not move during driving, which makes them suitable to be used as basic "fixed position" headlights (like the stock halogens).​
To get SR and SL working, you would need to swap nearly the entire wiring harness, sensors, ECU, etc from a Limited to a lower trim level, which requires disassembling nearly the entire vehicle - If you want SR and SL working, you are better off buying a Limited to begin with. If you're fine using the LED headlights with SR and SL, then this guide is for you.​
Parts:

OEM Parts - Check that mounting tabs aren't broken and that the reseller hasn't taken/cut off the wiring harness from the headlight.​
  • 1x 84002FL061- Right Side (passenger) LED Headlight
  • 1x 84002FL071 - Left Side (driver) LED Headlight

Adapter Harness Parts (quantities assume you are making 2 harnesses) - I advise you buy the following parts from Corsa-Technic. I have no affiliation with them, but they are the only USA based site I could find that sells these parts in individual quantities (and they include the metal pins and pin/wire seals). Part numbers below require you to use 14 AWG stranded wire!
  • 2x DL090-16S- 16 pin plug (plugs into LED headlight)
    • 14x 8100-1428 (SUMI.B-SKT3) - Female Metal Pins for 16 pin plug (16x per plug included if bought from Corsa-Technic, so 32x total if you buy 2 plugs)
    • 14x 7165-0119 (SUMI-SL6) - Rubber pin/wire seal (16x per plug included if bought from Corsa-Technic, so 32x total if you buy 2 plugs)
    • 18x 7165-0193 (SUMI-PG4) - Blank rubber grommet (not included if bought from Corsa-Technic)

• 2x 090II-8P-1- 8 pin plug (plugs into Base/Premium/Sport Body Harness)
    • 14x 7114-4027 (090II-PIN3) - Male Metal Pins for 8 pin plug (8x per plug included if bought from Corsa-Technic, so 16x total if you buy 2 plugs)
    • 14x 7158-3008-80 (090II-SL3) - Rubber pin/wire seal (8x per plug included if bought from Corsa-Technic, so 16x total if you buy 2 plugs)
    • 2x 7157-8761 (090II-PG) - Blank rubber grommet (not included if bought from Corsa-Technic)

• 14 AWG Stranded Wire(Corsa also sells 14 gauge wire per foot)
    • 7 different colors of wire in one foot lengths each
      • Cut these in half to get two 6-inch lengths per color (enough to make two identical harnesses)
    • Two lengths of wire 2-3 feet each in an 8th color (to connect the 8th wire from the LED headlights to a 12V source)

Making the Adapters:

1. Crimp a female metal pin (8100-1428) with a rubber pin/wire seal (7165-0119) to all of the 6-inch wire lengths and the 2-3 foot wires using the weather pack terminal crimpers (16 wires total).
  2. Crimp a male metal pin (7114-4027) with a rubber pin/wire seal (7158-3008-80) to all of your 6-inch wire lengths using the weather pack terminal crimpers (14 wires total).
    1. Do not crimp a male pin to the 2-3 foot wires.
  3. Each of the 4 grey plugs have white plastic pieces in these. Remove these white plastic pieces but be careful - they use plastic tabs to clip into the grey plugs and you don't want to break these tabs.
  4. Using the 8 pin plug diagram and the 16 pin plug diagram, use the 6-inch wires, put the male metal pin in spot #1 of the 8 pin plug and the female metal pin in the spot labeled #1 of the 16 pin plug (note, the female pin is directional and you should get a faint click when putting it in the 16 pin plug - if not, take it out and put it in 180 degrees opposite and it clicks in).
    1. 24921
  5. Repeat for spots #2-#7 (connect #2 to #2, #3 to #3, etc).
  6. Take your 2-3 foot wire with just a female metal pin and put it in spot #8 of the 16 pin plug.
  7. Replace the white plastic connectors in each of the grey 8 and 16 pin plugs to lock the metal pins in place.
    1. You should have the following:
    2. 24926
  8. Repeat for wiring harness number #2
  9. Install Headlights using harness
  10. Connect Wire #8 from the 16 pin plug (blue wire in my pictures) to an accessory 12V positive if Base/Premium or to the positive wire for your LED lights in the bumper if you have a Sport model. This will need to be soldered/heat shrink or crimped/heat shrink to the wire, which does mean you have to cut one wire on your vehicle.
  11. Enjoy your LED Lights!

Other Helpful resources (that helped me make these):
Wiring Guide Courtesy of AyyeLmao and Lightwerkz

Attachments

·
Registered
CM Grey 2017 Sport Hatch CVT
77 Posts
Great walk through! Just out of curiosity, after all said and done, how much did you end up spending on everything? I got quoted for retrofit custom headlights from circuit demon for $2300, they offer a pretty plug n play type solution (you send the headlights to them and they open them and use factory harnesses). If this option is cheaper, might be with it doing it this way. Limited headlights are sick

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great walk through! Just out of curiosity, after all said and done, how much did you end up spending on everything? I got quoted for retrofit custom headlights from circuit demon for $2300, they offer a pretty plug n play type solution (you send the headlights to them and they open them and use factory harnesses). If this option is cheaper, might be with it doing it this way. Limited headlights are sick
My cost was about $800
$60 shipped for the plugs, wire, and associated harness adapter pieces​
$700 + tax for the pair of LED headlights (used, excellent condition) off eBay​
I got a pretty good deal on the LED headlights though. A more realistic cost is $800-$1000 for a pair of excellent LED headlights if you watch eBay closely. New from Subaru will be about $1600 for the pair. If you don't have the tools to crimp the wiring harness adapter, then that is another $15-$30. Worst case, you're still south of $2,000 (new headlights direct from Subaru + tools + harness materials).

·
Registered
242 Posts
Looks great! Hopefully someone will figure out a way to make the srh part work.. possibly utilizing the oem or an aftermarket sensors and an Arduino or something to convert the data into servo movements for the headlight. Would need to be able to determine what type of data is coming from the oem limited sensor and use the Arduino as a converter rather than the ecu and wiring harness. If only I has a limited to test this on haha.

·
Registered
2019 Base CVT + Eyesight + Fogs
402 Posts
If I clip wire leading into #3 will that disable DRL while keeping high beam and turn signal (stock halogen headlights)?

edit: it won't.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hello everybody just had my jdm led headlights arrive today... I wired them as up and I don't have the c light on as a drl when the headlights are off only when they are on parking and low beams. I tapped the blue white coming from the headlamp to positive terminal of the battery and it only stays on as described above. No change in brightness whether connected or not. Is this because I have a base manual? Do I have to connect the blue c light positive to the positive high beam output?
Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
242 Posts
Just followed your write up and it worked perfectly! If anyone does it with 2020 plus headlights the wiring colors are different but the pin out is the same. Here are the colors and their numerical value in relation the post above.
1 light yellow
2 black green
3 mint green
4 solid black
5 solid white
6 pink
7 black blue
8 light blue
Thanks for this awesome write up!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Swapping the LED headlights onto the lower trim level models is something many of us want to do Past mods have involved splicing into the wiring harness, which requires you to cut the wiring harness on both your vehicle and the headlight. I'm not a fan of that. I therefore decided to find the parts to make an adapter harness that is waterproof, just like the factory connectors. Figured I'd also compile all the knowledge we have already as well.

General Overview:
The Base, Premium, and Sport Impreza use an 8 pin plug to connect from the body harness to the halogen headlight harness. Only 7 pins are populated in this plug:​
  1. Low Beam Positive
  2. Low Beam Ground
  3. DRL Positive
  5. Turn Signal Positive
  6. High Beam Positive
  7. High Beam Negative
The 8th spot is blocked off from the factory and not used (circle with the X through it).​
The Limited Impreza uses a 16 pin plug to connect from the body harness to the LED headlight harness with only 15 pins populated (16th is blocked off from the factory and not used - again circle with the X through it). Only 8 of these pins are used to power the low beam, high beam, DRL, and turn signal (one more than the lower trim levels). They are:​
  1. Low Beam Positive
  2. Low Beam Ground
  3. DRL Positive
  5. Turn Signal Positive
  6. High Beam Positive
  7. High Beam Negative
  8. DRL Bright Positive
So 7 of these 8 wires are exactly the same between models, which means they just need to be connected to each other (connect 1 to 1, 2 to 2, etc). That 8th wire is thankfully just a 12V positive for the C-light, and can come from almost anywhere (discussed more below).​
C-Lights:
If you don't connect this 8th wire on the LED headlight, you will get things like the C-light always staying dim except for when the headlights are on (meaning they aren't working correctly as your DRL) and the C-light blinking when the turn signal is activated. Neither are proper behavior, and not having correctly working DRLs is illegal in some locations. Some have reported blown fuses with this 8th wiring missing as well.​
For Sport Trim levels, this is easy - that 8th wire should tap into the positive wire of the LED lights in your bumper. This will result in completely correct factory behavior of the C-Lights because the C-lights will be controlled with your bumper LED DRLs:​
  • The C-lights will be dim when headlights are off and the car is in park
  • When shifted into D with headlights off, the C-Light will turn on to max brightness to serve as your DRL
  • If headlights are on, the C-light will be on max brightness
  • When using the turn signal, you will not get any blinking of the C-light.
For Base/Premium, you can connect the 8th wire to any 12V positive keyed source (a power source that is only active when the key is turned to accessory power or when the car is running). However, this means the C-lights will always be bright. The advantage is your DRL will be bright and legal and you will not get any blinking of the C-light when the turn signal is activated. The down side is that the C-lights will never dim when the car is in park and headlights are off. This is a small trade off. The alternative is to try to find a 12V source that is switched on when you place the vehicle in Drive and tap this 8th wire into that. If anyone finds a good source for this on Base/Premium trim levels, let me know and I can update this guide.​

Steering Responsive (SR) and Self Leveling (SL):
The other 7 pins on the 16 Pin LED headlight plug are used to control the SR and SL systems. If installing the LED headlights on a non-Limited model, the steering responsive and self leveling parts of the headlight will not work (nothing to input to the headlight from these vehicles). The LED headlights default to their neutral position (horizontally and vertically) when not powered, and do not move during driving, which makes them suitable to be used as basic "fixed position" headlights (like the stock halogens).​
To get SR and SL working, you would need to swap nearly the entire wiring harness, sensors, ECU, etc from a Limited to a lower trim level, which requires disassembling nearly the entire vehicle - If you want SR and SL working, you are better off buying a Limited to begin with. If you're fine using the LED headlights with SR and SL, then this guide is for you.​
Parts:

OEM Parts - Check that mounting tabs aren't broken and that the reseller hasn't taken/cut off the wiring harness from the headlight.​
  • 1x 84002FL061- Right Side (passenger) LED Headlight
  • 1x 84002FL071 - Left Side (driver) LED Headlight

Adapter Harness Parts (quantities assume you are making 2 harnesses) - I advise you buy the following parts from Corsa-Technic. I have no affiliation with them, but they are the only USA based site I could find that sells these parts in individual quantities (and they include the metal pins and pin/wire seals). Part numbers below require you to use 14 AWG stranded wire!
  • 2x DL090-16S- 16 pin plug (plugs into LED headlight)
    • 14x 8100-1428 (SUMI.B-SKT3) - Female Metal Pins for 16 pin plug (16x per plug included if bought from Corsa-Technic, so 32x total if you buy 2 plugs)
    • 14x 7165-0119 (SUMI-SL6) - Rubber pin/wire seal (16x per plug included if bought from Corsa-Technic, so 32x total if you buy 2 plugs)
    • 18x 7165-0193 (SUMI-PG4) - Blank rubber grommet (not included if bought from Corsa-Technic)

• 2x 090II-8P-1- 8 pin plug (plugs into Base/Premium/Sport Body Harness)
    • 14x 7114-4027 (090II-PIN3) - Male Metal Pins for 8 pin plug (8x per plug included if bought from Corsa-Technic, so 16x total if you buy 2 plugs)
    • 14x 7158-3008-80 (090II-SL3) - Rubber pin/wire seal (8x per plug included if bought from Corsa-Technic, so 16x total if you buy 2 plugs)
    • 2x 7157-8761 (090II-PG) - Blank rubber grommet (not included if bought from Corsa-Technic)

• 14 AWG Stranded Wire(Corsa also sells 14 gauge wire per foot)
    • 7 different colors of wire in one foot lengths each
      • Cut these in half to get two 6-inch lengths per color (enough to make two identical harnesses)
    • Two lengths of wire 2-3 feet each in an 8th color (to connect the 8th wire from the LED headlights to a 12V source)

Making the Adapters:

1. Crimp a female metal pin (8100-1428) with a rubber pin/wire seal (7165-0119) to all of the 6-inch wire lengths and the 2-3 foot wires using the weather pack terminal crimpers (16 wires total).
  2. Crimp a male metal pin (7114-4027) with a rubber pin/wire seal (7158-3008-80) to all of your 6-inch wire lengths using the weather pack terminal crimpers (14 wires total).
    1. Do not crimp a male pin to the 2-3 foot wires.
  3. Each of the 4 grey plugs have white plastic pieces in these. Remove these white plastic pieces but be careful - they use plastic tabs to clip into the grey plugs and you don't want to break these tabs.
  4. Using the 8 pin plug diagram and the 16 pin plug diagram, use the 6-inch wires, put the male metal pin in spot #1 of the 8 pin plug and the female metal pin in the spot labeled #1 of the 16 pin plug (note, the female pin is directional and you should get a faint click when putting it in the 16 pin plug - if not, take it out and put it in 180 degrees opposite and it clicks in).
    1. View attachment 24921 View attachment 24922
  5. Repeat for spots #2-#7 (connect #2 to #2, #3 to #3, etc).
  6. Take your 2-3 foot wire with just a female metal pin and put it in spot #8 of the 16 pin plug.
  7. Replace the white plastic connectors in each of the grey 8 and 16 pin plugs to lock the metal pins in place.
    1. You should have the following: View attachment 24924 View attachment 24925
    2. View attachment 24926 View attachment 24927
  8. Repeat for wiring harness number #2
  9. Install Headlights using harness
  10. Connect Wire #8 from the 16 pin plug (blue wire in my pictures) to an accessory 12V positive if Base/Premium or to the positive wire for your LED lights in the bumper if you have a Sport model. This will need to be soldered/heat shrink or crimped/heat shrink to the wire, which does mean you have to cut one wire on your vehicle.
  11. Enjoy your LED Lights!

Other Helpful resources (that helped me make these):
Wiring Guide Courtesy of AyyeLmao and Lightwerkz
fantsatic description, has helped me out a ton. couple questions tho. what seal size should i use for the connectors, they have DL090-16S, sl4, sl5, sl6. and for the other connector, 090II-8P-1, sl1, sl2, sl3

another thing, has anyone found any aftermarket "c" lights that will fit a 2018?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts