5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Has anyone tried out Diode Dynamics LED headlight bulbs? I've seen a couple of Youtube videos of em and they look great. I'm looking at getting the low beams & high beams. They're a bit pricy at $150.00 dollars for each pair, but they seem to be a lot better quality than some other LED's I've looked at. A link below to their website. I look forward to everyone's responses.

https://www.diodedynamics.com/by-vehicle.html/?no_cache=1&find=2017-subaru-impreza-319416

- Bryce

·
Registered
172 Posts
LED headlight bulbs are a waste of money. Unless your reflector is built for LED's, it won't do anything except throw light over a more unfocused range. Halogen bulbs create a very small point of light, but LED bulbs have multiple source points over a wider area. Yes, they will make a "whiter" light, but their lack of focusing will decrease the reach of your headlight. In the end, you'll spend $150 to throw light everywhere except straight ahead, where you really need it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LED headlight bulbs are a waste of money. Unless your reflector is built for LED's, it won't do anything except throw light over a more unfocused range. Halogen bulbs create a very small point of light, but LED bulbs have multiple source points over a wider area. Yes, they will make a "whiter" light, but their lack of focusing will decrease the reach of your headlight. In the end, you'll spend $150 to throw light everywhere except straight ahead, where you really need it.
Thanks for the info, Alex. So I’m better off buying a better halogen bulb than what I have now?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Modern leds have came a long way. Those are a good set.

Xenon depot and morimoto also have very nice sets in that price range that I’ve tried in other vehicles.

I currently have beamtechs in our car. They are ok. What you would expect for $40.

Problem with bright halogens is they do not last a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
114 Posts
I've had my LED headlights for a few weeks now and I do agree with Alex somewhat. There are a lot of brands and designs and some are better than others, so depending on what you get will determine the performance. I am trying an off brand set I got on Ebay for $35 and have been happy with them so far. I agree that the reach isn't any farther than the halogen lights, but in my case the light pattern isn't all over the place. The LED's illuminate the same area as the halogens with no weird spots or light fracturing. Visablity is roughly the same or just a little better.

I personally wouldn't spend $150 for a pair of bulbs unless I saw them in person and had an excellent no-questions-asked warranty. I was OK trying out a cheap set and time will tell if they last, but for the money it's worth the gamble. I'm glad I got them and love the look over the halogens so to me it was money well spent.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just an update, I bought the Diode Dynamics SL1 LED headlights and I absolutely love them. So far the $150.00 dollar price tag was worth it. They do come with a 3-year warranty included. I'll try and get a few pictures uploaded this week.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
205 Posts
Finding the right brand of LED is the key, DD does their research typically and they are a good place to deal with I installed the Diode Dynamics SL1 LED bulbs in my car. Install was not too difficult, finding a way to mount the external box was the most difficult part. I used an adhesive plate that you can run a wire tie though and they seem to work well. Output is nice, very bright white, not blue tinted. Does seem to have a nice cutoff and not annoying to oncoming traffic.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I really wanted the High Beams to be Diode Dynamics too so I ordered a set. Sadly they would not fit due to the design. The way they are made the base is too thick and there isn't enough room to let the assembly seat properly. I shared the info with them and they confirmed the problem. I sent them back and got my money back. They did say they will be redesigning and making ones that will fit. I did find a set that works well though will post pics below this post.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I installed the alternate high beams. At first I thought they would not fit. However, there is something about the way the plastic locking ring is set up that makes it difficult to get the bulb housing to twist and lock in. These have plenty of room unlike the Diode Dynamics. What I ended up doing is loosening the 3 torx screws (T25) just a little bit and that allowed me to rotate these in place. Then I just snugged them down and all is good. They will work fine, the color is slightly different than the Diode Dynamics (57K VS 65K) but not a huge deal to me. TBH I don't get to use my high beams a lot but these are extremely bright. I don't' see any hot spots. The caveat here is that they will only work on the Sport Impreza from what I can tell. The Sport has DRL LEDs and does not use these hi beams. My understanding from reading the Amazon reviews is they will flicker otherwise. I have more photos here https://photos.app.goo.gl/uFpg3S2Mby1rNzif6

The caveat here from what I understand is they will only work on the Sport since we don't have fog lights but LED's in that spot that are used as the DRL's rather than the hi beams at low power. At least that is my understanding.

20191027_100750.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
I installed the beam techs on my 17 Impreza after reading about them here and its the best thing I have done to the car. I can actually see well beyond the yellow dim stock headlights. I installed the same in my wifes Crosstrek without telling her and she is amazed at her new found visibility. Neither of us had anyone flash their lights at us yet. Say what you want but the fact is its a much better light out in front of the car driving down the road.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I chose morimotos over diode dynamics due to a better black friday deal. Ended up sending my high beams/DRL back, even with anti-flicker adapter they flickered.

The LEDs are a definite upgrade over stock halos. I've tried a number of LEDs, some were not good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts